Canadian Premier League

ted

I think there's a reasonable chance that the reason we are hearing more out of Halifax and virtually nothing out of anywhere else (although some out of KW recently) is that halifax is outside the set of 'original' ownership groups/people/entities. Those groups are still maintaining their cone of silence until launch while Halifax is not constrained by their agreement as they are somewhat independent of the original group. Time will tell of course.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

I think there's a reasonable chance that the reason we are hearing more out of Halifax and virtually nothing out of anywhere else (although some out of KW recently) is that halifax is outside the set of 'original' ownership groups/people/entities. Those groups are still maintaining their cone of silence until launch while Halifax is not constrained by their agreement as they are somewhat independent of the original group. Time will tell of course.

I would say you're totally accurate

I will agree with BBTB that the league isn't as far along as I believed even a couple of months ago.  That being said I don't think it's as bad as he hypothesizes.  I don't see the cold calling as a negative.  They should be approaching groups that might be interested.  Do we expect people to knock on the CSA or the Tiger Cats door and ask for teams?  The optics of the league are better the more national it is, they approached an investor about representing an area that they're interested in.  Also just because we're hearing about it publicly now doesn't mean they just called last week.  This very well could of been in the works for a long time.

As for the hearing more out of Halifax and Hamilton than the others it's because they have to work with the local governments to get things done for the teams (tender for the field in Halifax, bubble in Hamilton) hence it's out there.  My guess is the other prospective teams have no need to come public yet.

Also I have no proof, just my own hypothesis based on the available information and my general positive nature.

Also Duck Season

3 minutes ago, Rheo said:

As for the hearing more out of Halifax and Hamilton than the others it's because they have to work with the local governments to get things done for the teams (tender for the field in Halifax, bubble in Hamilton) hence it's out there.  My guess is the other prospective teams have no need to come public yet.

This

2 hours ago, matty said:

God your point here is stale. Yes this could happen but it's unlikely because it ignores EVERYTHING. Of the five teams you listed only ONE seems to actually be in the mix for 2018 (Hamilton) with Halifax battling for the chance to get in (I wish them luck and hope they pull this off) but they seem to be on the outside for 2018 and the Ottawa Fury also being unlikely after spending a lot of money on exit and entry fees and NASL officials thinking they're sticking to the USL for a while.

We've heard time and time again that Winnipeg, Calgary and Regina are involved from both reporters and people active with the league and that no one other than TFC want a TFC reserve team and that TFC being directly involved would damage the league and all other teams. Your constant push for your version of this league pretends all those facts aren't real.

KW is also very much on the outside with the only real buzz coming from this forum. While they have a rich owner, his value seems well outside of what what kind of money is rumoured to be involved.

Your version also fails to meet the criteria for a pro league (division 1 or 2) in Canada and if you recall Victor Montagliani has said this league would be like no other league Canada has ever seen and your eastern version with reserve teams and small markets is something we have already seen.

Just a point on Ottawa...if they purchased a USL franchise (perhaps FC Montreal) with confidence that they could flip it for similar value (or even profit now that USL is D2), I don't think exit/entry fees is a reason to think they are married to USL. They were always going to pay exit fees for NASL, regardless of CPL, so if USL exit/entry is a net zero move, I wouldn't think of it as as a reason for Ottawa to be hesitant about a move

Not saying that they necessarily will move, just thinking that the fees are less of a factor than I used to

Given the expansion fee is said to be around $3.5 million, a purchase of FC Montreal at a discount explains what looked a bit lunatic on the surface (presumably the larger than normal $1.5 million exit fee would also be recouped at least in part through not having to bail out the likes of Fort Lauderdale and Jacksonville etc as league fees seemed to be a major cost concern). Out west there were tweets recently about VWFC2 possibily moving to Alberta that seemed to be from a reasonably credible source. If you are the CSA and you want to launch a new league, do you want it to be running in parallel with USL affiliates in large Canadian cities or do you want them on board? If you are the Ticats do you want to be playing MLS B teams when you are used to playing the top sides in the three MLS markets? It's easy to see why there could be different agendas on this and delicate points to be negotiated.

20 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Given the expansion fee is said to be around $3.5 million, a purchase of FC Montreal at a discount explains what looked a bit lunatic on the surface (presumably the larger than normal $1.5 million exit fee would also be recouped at least in part through not having to bail out the likes of Fort Lauderdale and Jacksonville etc as league fees seemed to be a major cost concern). Out west there were tweets recently about VWFC2 possibily moving to Alberta that seemed to be from a reasonably credible source. If you are the CSA and you want to launch a new league, do you want it to be running in parallel with USL affiliates in large Canadian cities or do you want them on board? If you are the Ticats do you want to be playing MLS B teams when you are used to playing the top sides in the three MLS markets? It's easy to see why there could be different agendas on this and delicate points to be negotiated.

Dude stop taking the usl koolaid. It's not good enough to help us grow into a real competitor and will not impact attendance. Moving its clubs to the cpl will cheapen the cpl and hurt for all parties.

18 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If you are the CSA and you want to launch a new league, do you want it to be running in parallel with USL affiliates in large Canadian cities or do you want them on board?

It's a free market. The CSA only handles the sanctioning, not who plays in which city. It's also a safe bet to assume that it isn't in a USL team's interest to compete with a CPL team...especially a Vancouver B club trying to compete with a Calgary club in Calgary. That's why I don't buy that rumor or otherwise I've been giving too much credit to the intelligence of the Whitecaps owners.

No, CPL owners don't want USL teams on board for reasons that have been talked about endlessly on this board.

18 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If you are the Ticats do you want to be playing MLS B teams when you are used to playing the top sides in the three MLS markets?

This would further the point as to why they want nothing to do with B Teams

19 hours ago, Rheo said:

...As for the hearing more out of Halifax and Hamilton than the others...

The info out of the Hamilton supporters group meeting late last year and even from Duane Rollins in the recent podcast from Edmonton appears to be that if they launch in 2018 it will be a "soft launch" with a smaller core group of teams that are ready to start straight away.

23 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

image.png

I've been pointing out for a long time how a league could happen relatively easily in numbers terms if the CSA opted to factor in MLS reserve and/or affiliate teams rather than competing against them. What has changed in recent times is that there is tangible evidence that it might actually happen. TFC are now on record as being interested and have met Victor Montagliani about it and are going to meet Scott Mitchell. The part of the spiel that Rollins peddles I have the hardest time believing is the ongoing involvement of western conference CFL teams even after the NASL division scenario (that has been mentioned by sources like Bill Peterson the ex-NASL commissioner in the mainstream media) fell through.

In part, because of the many impending big annoucements that he hyped up that never happened, which undermined his credibility and made it look more like a case of ongoing attempts to try to create a buzz of excitement that would help to draw possible investors out of the woodwork than serious journalism, but also because there's no convincing reason I have seen as to why investor groups would actually want to keep it secret at this point or why there wouldn't be lots of rumours circulating in those cities if they had serious plans to proceed on this and tried to keep it all hush hush. For example if the WSA Winnipeg and Calgary Foothills PDL operations are really going to be the technical team for a future pro team wouldn't somebody be bragging about it over a beer or three to somebody who knows somebody who posts or tweets online,...

32 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I've been pointing out for a long time how a league could happen relatively easily in numbers terms if the CSA opted to factor in MLS reserve and/or affiliate teams rather than competing against them. What has changed in recent times is that there is tangible evidence that it might actually happen. TFC are now on record as being interested and have met Victor Montagliani about it and are going to meet Scott Mitchell. The part of the spiel that Rollins peddles I have the hardest time believing is the ongoing involvement of western conference CFL teams even after the NASL division scenario (that has been mentioned by sources like Bill Peterson the ex-NASL commissioner in the mainstream media) fell through.

In part, because of the many impending big annoucements that he hyped up that never happened, which undermined his credibility and made it look more like a case of ongoing attempts to try to create a buzz of excitement that would help to draw possible investors out of the woodwork than serious journalism, but also because there's no convincing reason I have seen as to why investor groups would actually want to keep it secret at this point or why there wouldn't be lots of rumours circulating in those cities if they had serious plans to proceed on this and tried to keep it all hush hush. For example if the WSA Winnipeg and Calgary Foothills PDL operations are really going to be the technical team for a future pro team wouldn't somebody be bragging about it over a beer or three to somebody who knows somebody who posts or tweets online,...

And we lost him. 

36 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

BEATING_A_DEAD_HORSE.gif

43 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I've been pointing out for a long time how a league could happen relatively easily in numbers terms if the CSA opted to factor in MLS reserve and/or affiliate teams rather than competing against them.

I hadn't noticed.

3 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Disclaimer: wild and likely outrageous speculation

Was listening to rabbit radio yesterday and they mentioned a "theme" for the 2017 season and said it had something to do with an announcement in march... 

Dare to dream.....? 

I've never heard of rabbit radio before, and honestly thought you were going to say this...

"Was listening to rabbit radio yesterday and they mentioned a "theme" for the 2017 season and said it was going to be ducks."

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

I've never heard of rabbit radio before, and honestly thought you were going to say this...

"Was listening to rabbit radio yesterday and they mentioned a "theme" for the 2017 season and said it was going to be ducks."

You mean rabbit right

8 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Disclaimer: wild and likely outrageous speculation

Was listening to rabbit radio yesterday and they mentioned a "theme" for the 2017 season and said it had something to do with an announcement in march... 

Dare to dream.....? 

Both Derek Martin (S.E.A) and Jon Rogers (the graphic design/marketing guy apparently hired on in some capacity) mentioned March, no? Assuming things are still on schedule (heh) I don't think you're deluding yourself to hope for a March announcement 

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

I was imagining rabbit radio being radio run by rabbits, so they would want to convince hunters that it's duck hunting season, not rabbit season.

Nah they're actually hares posing as rabbits because they're double agents working with the ducks to eliminate those pesky wabbits

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

but also because there's no convincing reason I have seen as to why investor groups would actually want to keep it secret at this point or why there wouldn't be lots of rumours circulating in those cities if they had serious plans to proceed on this and tried to keep it all hush hush. For example if the WSA Winnipeg and Calgary Foothills PDL operations are really going to be the technical team for a future pro team wouldn't somebody be bragging about it over a beer or three to somebody who knows somebody who posts or tweets online,...

You know, besides not having committed funds, owners not having gone through a vetting process, discussing how to divide the single group expense and income pot, wanting to create a larger initial marketing splash, concealing details to potential competitors who share the same markets, keeping potential television deals on the QT to surprise competing networks and so on.

However, I do agree, leaks happen, and there hasn't been a lot of leaks regarding the CanPL, which does fairly raise the question, just how far along are we?

Archived