Canadian Premier League

ted

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I'll agree with you on them not being idiotic morons to the extent that if they could have got the 2026 World Cup as a standalone and associated infrastructure money and legacy funds then supplanting MLS could potentially have happened. Now it looks like MLS is always going to be the pinnacle and the CSA have been doing things of late that are consistent with that assessment.

It took MLS at least 15 years to start looking "decent" and you expect CPL to do it in less than half the time or its a fail...

I won't even respond to such an assessment...

Add: If anything, I could see CPL narrowing the gap faster than anyone think. No one can predict who will be the best league in 20 years from now.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I find it hard to believe that a 6-8 team league to start off can't have a min.3 Cdn players on the field at all times.You still have 8 other players (higher quality to attract fans as they say). Are we that bad that if we have 3 Cdn players on the field at all times that people would not come to the games? And I'm sure these Cdn players wouldn't have million $ contracts.

It sounds like it's not a quality of play issue but rather a cost control issue. If players (agents) know that there is a high mandatory minum for Canadians their salary demands will shoot through the roof. 

It sounds like they are setting a minimum so there won't be a team without any Canadians whatsoever but they fully expect most teams to carry more than the minimum. 

We won't see many American journeyman due to the low value of the loonie currently. It'll be cheap South Americans and local boys. 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Somewhere along the line it appears to have stopped being about trying to provide more opportunities for Canadian players to help the CMNT to become all about trying to supplant MLS as D1 probably by using a 2026 standalone hosting as rocket fuel at least as far as some of the investors are concerned.

While I agree that the podcast interview suggests a shift from a league focused on development to, well, who knows what, I can't imagine that any of the solid savvy leading leading edge Canadian business investors that have yet to emerge from the miasma that is CPL fan/blog/podcast sputterings have any reasonable expectation of supplanting MLS as D1 with a CPL.  Ever.

Not responding to BBTB...I'd question the worth of a national league with such low quotas.  Whether or not a Canadian can play at the CPL level is meaningless if the league doesn't require enough Canadian content.  Canadian players are not a fan draw.  No owner is going to sign Marcus Haber for an extra $20k because he's from Vancouver.  All that will matter is how much he costs.

Promises of increasing the quotas sound a lot like the promises of Canadians being domestic MLS wide.  There is zero rational self interest for team owners and managers to support an increase in quotas.  None.  If it starts low it stays low.

3 minutes ago, Marc said:

I'd question the worth of a national league with such low quotas.  Promises of increasing the quotas sound a lot like the promises of Canadians being domestic MLS wide.

While I agree that the podcast interview suggests a shift from a league focused on development to, well, who knows what, I can't imagine that any of the solid savvy leading leading edge Canadian business investors that have yet to emerge from the miasma that is CPL fan/blog/podcast sputterings have any reasonable expectation of supplanting MLS as D1 with a CPL.  Ever.

Distinctly remember Rollins tweeting late last year about MLS teams joining CPL once it makes sense, so disagree. Beyond that did you see the Guardian article where Victor Montagliani was said to be threatening outright desanctioning over the domestic player issue:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/13/mls-canada-american-citizens

Montagliani warns that unless a critical issue is addressed – that Canadian players are treated as equal to Americans under MLS rules – Soccer Canada may take sweeping and dramatic action to block Toronto FC, Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps from continuing to play in the league.

Yeah, disagree.  I just don't see that as realistic at all.  MLSE et al leave the MLS for the soccer equivalent of an upstart CFL?  Will never happen.  Montagliani was posturing.  We're more likely to see a revision of the MLS rules.  Quote it. :) 

I don't have any issue with the domestic quota. Having a professional presence in the city is the most key thing and young Canadians will come in kind to compete for roster spots.

I actually think the lack of any significant domestic roster requirements will push the average Canadian a head of his American counterpart. 

I was watching Serie A, Juventus vs Fiorentina yesterday and the Viola the last few seasons have barely played any Italians. However, this season they got these two young super talents, Bernardeschi and Frederico Chiesa, 21 and 19 respectively I think, that are consistently making first team appearances and are arguably their best players so far this campaign. I would love for the CPL to mimic a situation like that.

Hey guys, I think I've found one official document on the CSA divisional sanctions just now, though as you can see below, the requirements are incredibly vague, especially when you compare it to USSF.

The document is the CSA Rules & Regulations from 2008, and I found it on the OSA website, in their Governing Documents section. I checked the CSA website as well, and they have an updated 2014 version, but the 2014 version does not have any sanctioning guidelines whatsoever.

For your reference, the text from the 2008 CSA document is as follows, and as you can see, it is quite vague, but you can see how L1O and PLSQ are sanctioned as D3.

Hope this is interesting for some, sorry if anybody has already posted this elsewhere in the past, but I was really curious as to if anything official out there existed. I'd hope something far more detailed than this exists internally in CSA...

http://www.ontariosoccer.net/images/publications/2014/governing-documents/Canadian-Soccer-Association-Rules-Regulations-2008.pdf (Section 10, Page 21)

Division I: Professional Leagues operating in Canada, or in Canada and other countries.

Division II: Professional Leagues operating on a National basis;

Division III: Professional Leagues operating on a Provincial or Regional basis.

http://www.ontariosoccer.net/governing-documents

http://www.canadasoccer.com/reference-documents-s14657

http://www.canadasoccer.com/files/CanadaSoccer_2014RulesRegulations_20141001.pdf

I think I mentioned this already but it would be great to see 4 maybe 5 "D2" regional semi pro ish leagues - obviously L1O and PLSQ but then perhaps some amalgamation of a BC and AB league or prairie league as some mentioned and then something on the east coast.  

I don't see why it couldn't be called D2 as long as certain other requirements were met.  Its a Canadian solution to what is a pretty unique situation here.  

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

I find it hard to believe that a 6-8 team league to start off can't have a min.3 Cdn players on the field at all times.You still have 8 other players (higher quality to attract fans as they say). Are we that bad that if we have 3 Cdn players on the field at all times that people would not come to the games? And I'm sure these Cdn players wouldn't have million $ contracts.

The argument is apparently that having more Canadians than that is inevitable, but they don't want to artificially inflate domestic salaries too much 

I'm not a huge fan of it, but Bierne did mention on here that they were "looking at something they could escalate over time, so if it starts at 3-4 and ends 10+, I'll be ok with it

Edit: Not to mention that this is apparently still a point of negotiation. Hopefully we see slightly more than that at launch and a scheduled escalatiom

4 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

The argument is apparently that having more Canadians than that is inevitable, but they don't want to artificially inflate domestic salaries too much 

I'm not a huge fan of it, but Bierne did mention on here that they were "looking at something they could escalate over time, so if it starts at 3-4 and ends 10+, I'll be ok with it

I understand the reasoning.  Any investors are businessmen/women first and foremost, so their primary objective will (and should) be to create a league that is financially sustainable.  The stuff about development is the CSA's priority.  As fans, we should care about both, because over the long term player development will only happen in the context of a sustainable league.  That is why I won't get too bent out of shape if the quotas are modest to start while the league finds its legs.

4 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

So would I.

Better Quality of play to put butts in the seats and let the canadian player pool inevitably grow over time to fill those slots.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Distinctly remember Rollins tweeting late last year about MLS teams joining CPL once it makes sense, so disagree. Beyond that did you see the Guardian article where Victor Montagliani was said to be threatening outright desanctioning over the domestic player issue:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/13/mls-canada-american-citizens

Montagliani warns that unless a critical issue is addressed – that Canadian players are treated as equal to Americans under MLS rules – Soccer Canada may take sweeping and dramatic action to block Toronto FC, Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps from continuing to play in the league.

Rollins has said at least a dozen times that the MLS teams will not be joining CPL, to the point that he sounds exasperated saying it on the podcast. Maybe he had a tweet about a "maybe in the distant future" type of scenario, but it wouldn't be fair to characterize his reporting that way

12 minutes ago, Kibby said:

So would I.

Better Quality of play to put butts in the seats and let the canadian player pool inevitably grow over time to fill those slots.

While i agree good soccer will, i feel having 7 or so Canadians on each roster would add more appeal to the general canadian than 3 or 4 and 7 or so could still provide a decent game.

1 hour ago, ironcub14 said:

Division I: Professional Leagues operating in Canada, or in Canada and other countries.

Division II: Professional Leagues operating on a National basis;

Division III: Professional Leagues operating on a Provincial or Regional basis.

I don't understand how the difference between "Canada" and "National" in this context.

Also "professional"

Archived