Canadian Premier League

ted

41 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Actually the money is similar in that American parents footed the bill for their sons elite development versus the Communist party in this case. In 20 years when China is still mediocre and have undone all of this work in a temper tantrum similar to what they did to their women's program when it did not produce the desired results i'll be sure to quote this post.

You mean 33 years. Let them finish their program before judging

2020 - have 50m players, 70k new pitches, 20k new trainging centres

2030 - become a top 3 team in Asia

2050 - become a world soccer power

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, matty said:

You mean 33 years. Let them finish their program before judging

2020 - have 50m players, 70k new pitches, 20k new trainging centres

2030 - become a top 3 team in Asia

2050 - become a world soccer power

I'm not judging, i'm dismissing them. Xi has already had a number of his economic reforms stalled and it's a matter of time until the dinosaurs in the Party wrestle what power he has. Even if these sports policies survive in the medium term they won't survive the cuts when either a) the Commies get overthrown or B) the country goes into major recession because of the massive credit binge they are on due to slow growth. Even longer term they are doomed demographically thanks to the one child policy. Japan's present is their future.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

I'm not judging, i'm dismissing them. 

This. Plus throwing all the money at something doesn't transform directly into results. You need technical infrastructure, the reason why relatively small countries like Holland, or Portugal and Belgium can have succes. That's not something you could build easily (or fast). And then still you'd need some luck with the right players in the right age-groups and all. 

I think China can potentially reach their goal. Chinese youth are more hard working, disciplined and coachable than their American counterparts on average. You put them in the proper environment, where they'll learn proper skill, composure and technical ability (like what Japan and Korea did over 20 years ago) and mix it with some good old fashioned Chinese corporal punishment for non compliance, the country could be producing a bunch of capable (albeit unspectacular) players on a conveyor belt very soon.

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I'm not judging, i'm dismissing them. Xi has already had a number of his economic reforms stalled and it's a matter of time until the dinosaurs in the Party wrestle what power he has. Even if these sports policies survive in the medium term they won't survive the cuts when either a) the Commies get overthrown or B) the country goes into major recession because of the massive credit binge they are on due to slow growth. Even longer term they are doomed demographically thanks to the one child policy. Japan's present is their future.

I think you're wrong to dismiss them now, we seen china produce very capable talent in the past in other sports. While China's economy has slowed, the bust hasn't happened despite years of people predicting it due to China's quick adaptability. I do however agree their demos could prevent them from achieving much but they are more than capable of being the true Asian powershouse by 2030 and should become a competitive team.

40 minutes ago, matty said:

While China's economy has slowed, the bust hasn't happened despite years of people predicting it due to China's massive borrowing.

FYP.

On a serious note they may eventually become on par with the likes of Japan and S.Korea but i just can't see them beating the top teams in the world anytime soon, if ever.

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

FYP.

On a serious note they may eventually become on par with the likes of Japan and S.Korea but i just can't see them beating the top teams in the world anytime soon, if ever.

I'll mostly agree with that.

Side note

Remember a major Euro team wanting to get into Southern Ontario with a CPL team. While likely unrelated, Benfica are opening a school in Toronto.

http://www.ojogo.pt/futebol/1a-liga/benfica/noticias/interior/benfica-com-escola-de-futebol-em-toronto-5618942.html

Google Translation

Benfica presented this Friday the Toronto Football School, the first of the benfiquistas in America, and the only one under the management of a House of Benfica, targeting boys and girls between the ages of three and 16.

The technical director of the Benfica Football School in Toronto, João Oliveira, intends very briefly to put the young athletes to play for Benfica. "To play to Benfica is to play to win, to look for the victory, but not in any way. Always try to be better than the opponent," said the official. "Our concern is not exclusive with the players, but also with the coaches. Involve the whole community in football, and increasingly take Benfica to more people," he added."The Benfica School in Toronto will be the first under the management of a Benfica House, having the credibility and time as two important compositions to make it work," Miguel Reis, Coordinator of Benfica School Networks, told Lusa.

The home of Benfica in Toronto, the sixth subsidiary of Benfica, was founded in 1969, and aims to reach 300 athlete registrations and, in the near future, have its own training camp. This school will be operational in March 2017 and training will be held in North Toronto at the Downsview Park sports park.

It should be noted that Benfica has 45 football schools, including eight in China, two in Cape Verde and one in Angola and one in Guinea.

Can't second source this

4 hours ago, jpg75 said:

FYP.

Yeah, they should catch up to them, and when they do, that's when the Chinese Super League has a great shot at becoming one of the best leagues in the world. If they have a league where all the clubs have a strong base of domestic players supplemented with 5 or 6 superstars....that will be a great recipe for success.

When I was talking about them developing capable but not spectacular players, I'm referring to players that can still play in the Prem, La Liga and Serie A, but not players who have that extra bit of superstar quality. I'm thinking guys like Yohan Cabaye, Keisuke Honda, Jordy Clasie, Delle Alli, Adam Lallana, etc. Those type of guys they'll eventually produce a dime a dozen.

I don't think technical training is enough to produce a Xavi or Pirlo, players have to be allowed to make mistakes, learn on their own, develop their instinct playing a both organized and unorganized soccer. That's one of the reasons why countries like Brazil, Argentina produce such talented players, beyond that the sport has to be their passion. I don't know if any of you have ever watched the video of Guangzhou's academy, they seem to have great coaches, but teaching look forced, almost like military training, players have to be passionate about the sport first and foremost, not becasue China demands it of them. I think that needs to change for them to really start producing quality players.

Look at how they train for badminton. They are exceptionally hardcore. The passion for their sport of choice is expressed differently than other cultures but it is there, make no mistake about it. What the regimented approach does is give them what their culture is used to. Basics in a hardcore authoritarian fashion. As the level of competition rises the best rise with and above it. China will be a force in world soccer.

6 hours ago, zen said:

I don't think technical training is enough to produce a Xavi or Pirlo, players have to be allowed to make mistakes, learn on their own, develop their instinct playing a both organized and unorganized soccer. That's one of the reasons why countries like Brazil, Argentina produce such talented players, beyond that the sport has to be their passion. I don't know if any of you have ever watched the video of Guangzhou's academy, they seem to have great coaches, but teaching look forced, almost like military training, players have to be passionate about the sport first and foremost, not becasue China demands it of them. I think that needs to change for them to really start producing quality players.

You can add France, Portugal, Croatia, Spain and the Netherlands and most South American countries to that list as well. Street soccer and/or the environment that fosters that brand of soccer creates a distinct type of player that teaching fundamentals alone doesn't. If you don't have that culture present, the nation needs to create it artificially (ala Germany/Belgium) to be on the same level.

1 hour ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Let's congratulate the Winnipeg Supporters Group for hosting their first meeting tonight as an official group. They finally got the ball rolling.

Very good! How was it?

12 hours ago, matty said:

Remember a major Euro team wanting to get into Southern Ontario with a CPL team. While likely unrelated, Benfica are opening a school in Toronto....

The article indicates that the school started in 1969?  A lot of top European clubs have operations like that in and around the GTA, so I don't think it's safe to read anything further into an article like that. It's fairly unusual for top European clubs to have overseas sister clubs, so a better starting point might be to look at who tends to do that sort of thing. Manchester City and Red Bull Salzburg quickly come to mind and Celtic were definitely talking about it where the NASL was concerned (probably in St Louis). The other obvious angle to explore is clubs that have a Canadian owner.

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The article indicates that the school started in 1969?  A lot of top European clubs have operations like that in and around the GTA, so I don't think it's safe to read anything further into an article like that. It's fairly unusual for top European clubs to have overseas sister clubs, so a better starting point might be to look at who tends to do that sort of thing. Manchester City and Red Bull Salzburg quickly come to mind and Celtic were definitely talking about it where the NASL was concerned (probably in St Louis). The other obvious angle to explore is clubs that have a Canadian owner.

The translation is bad. I too can't tell if it's talking about Benfica starting their global schools in 1969 or this school. I know there are benfica named youth teams in toronto.

Benfica stand out a bit more than most because of how big they are in toronto that said i don't think it's linked.

I honestly think the euro side is less serious than we like to think. But I'm still rooting for Southampton so i can brag about being right all along lol

On the one hand, the tender in Halifax and meeting between MLSE and the Ticats suggests something is still likely to happen, while on the other, the CBC story from Hamilton suggested a timeline of three months before we get any formal announcement in a Hamilton context but only probably as the finish line is only in sight at this point from John McGrane's perspective and hasn't been reached. Moving beyond articulating a vision to closing the deal is the difficult part. My guess would be that the content of the letters of intent is still being thrashed out (if the stuff about a quota of 3 or 4 Canadian players with no guaranteed playing time is accurate one point of possible ongoing negotiation with the CSA is obvious, before we even get to where if anywhere TFC II fits into the equation) and decisions are still pending on who will actually sign them. Hopefully a workable consensus will be reached and we won't get to see what Anthony Totera looks like with an Alexi Lalas beard as this needs to come to resolution, so a clear way forward for Canadian soccer is established.

16129.jpg

9 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I wonder if CPL has anything to do with the format change.  Probably not I'd guess.  Why did they nix the group stage anyway?  

I'm guessing not because they now have a quagmire when they need to introduce the cpl into it. Had they entered a second Canadian team now i would think differently.

Likely because liga mx, mls and the top costa rican teams didn't like putting resources and energy into those games.

1 hour ago, matty said:

With the new ccl format where do you guys think the cpl will enter? I'm thinking the cpl will get a spot (maybe one of the cfu ones or in some kind playoff) in the new fall cup.

Seriously doubt the CSA will/would move away from having the current Canadian Championship format involving the MLS teams plus the other fully pro teams given the level of success Canadian MLS sides have had in the competition, but maybe that's another reason why sorting out the details on the new league that has yet to be named (according to Victor Montagliani anyway) is dragging on at this point as it gets to the heart of the matter of what the new league's status will be in terms of being viewed as the top domestic pro league or as a minor league operation, which in turn has a significant impact on franchise values moving forward.

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Seriously doubt the CSA will/would move away from having the current Canadian Championship format involving the MLS teams plus the other fully pro teams given the level of success Canadian MLS sides have had in the competition, but maybe that's another reason why sorting out the details on the new league that has yet to be named (according to Victor Montagliani anyway) is dragging on at this point as it gets to the heart of the matter of what the new league's status will be in terms of being viewed as the top domestic pro league or as a minor league operation, which in turn has a significant impact on franchise values moving forward?

I agree they're not gonna get rid of the vcup spot just wondering how if ever they go about getting the cpl into it. 

Archived