Canadian Premier League

ted

4 hours ago, Kent said:

But was the MLS trademark ever held by, say, the owners of DC United? I honestly don't know who registered trademarks for MLS when that league started up, but it seems odd that a potential founding team has trademarked the league name for CPL.

I find it interesting that they trademarked "Ligue Canadienne Premier de Soccer" when the PLSQ's full name is "Première Ligue de Soccer du Québec".  Seems like all kinds of words out of order between the two.

Glad to know this league will be based on Ontario French. B)

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ted said:

Hey Kent, I assume you are really young and/or new to the MLS because there was no "DC United" or any other team when MLS started. It was (and is) a single-entity structure which means that the league owned everything on day one and split up the markets they wanted amongst the investors. The league itself created the teams, named them, designed crests and decided on colour schemes and trademarks.

I am old enough to remember when it started, and definitely know it's single entity. At the time though I wasn't following the inner workings of the league. I wasn't really on the internet those days. I just figured they would not have done something like have the first trademarks for the league come from the New England Patriots or from Phil Anschutz, or Lamar Hunt personally. It would make me feel a lot better if the CPL trademark was registered from a startup company or from the CSA itself. All that being said, I don't know anything about business.

7 hours ago, Kent said:

But was the MLS trademark ever held by, say, the owners of DC United? I honestly don't know who registered trademarks for MLS when that league started up, but it seems odd that a potential founding team has trademarked the league name for CPL.

I don't think this is the Hamilton club so much as it is the nebulous CPL organization based in Hamilton.

18 minutes ago, Blue and White Army said:

I don't think this is the Hamilton club so much as it is the nebulous CPL organization based in Hamilton.

The same guys that trademarked potential names for the Hamilton club, and no other teams.

Anyways, I am starting to sound like one of the naysayers, but I do still think there is a good chance this league happens. Waiting patiently for the next bit of good news.

Not sure it really is so nebulous, B&WA. I think you will find John McGrane (the bubble dome guy where Tim Horton Field is concerned and an ex-CMNT player from the NASL era and one of the better coach/GMs in the original CSL) has been talking about a Canadian Premier League using that exact terminology for a few years now. There is a podcast by Ben Rycroft with an interview with him that might be well worth unearthing again in that regard. I strongly suspect he is also the ultimate source of info for Duane Rollins and Anthony Totera (worked for the North York Rockets of the original CSL).

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Not sure it really is so nebulous, B&WA. I think you will find John McGrane (the bubble dome guy where Tim Horton Field is concerned and an ex-CMNT player from the NASL era and one of the better coach/GMs in the original CSL) has been talking about a Canadian Premier League using that exact terminology for a few years now. There is a podcast by Ben Rycroft with an interview with him that might be well worth unearthing again in that regard. I strongly suspect he is also the ultimate source of info for Duane Rollins and Anthony Totera (worked for the North York Rockets of the original CSL).

I'm pretty sure I also heard him talk about getting a Canadian pro league together years ago on Nigel Reed's "The Soccer Show". I might be wrong, maybe it's what you referenced that I am remembering. I'm pretty sure it was before Rollins reported anything.

Anyways, at that time I just considered it crazy talk from a super positive former Canadian pro. Now we have Montagliani mentioning it as well in an official capacity, so I think that lends considerably more weight to it.

Have you ever been actively involved in the sport and actually had to deal with the sort of people that run amateur level soccer associations that get to vote on who rises to the very top? To put things charitably although it would be nice to think that last bit is true, there are still significant issues with how the CSA is structured. Also worth bearing in mind that getting to head an organization that previously selected Jack Warner as its head honcho and kept him there is not necessarily a positive sign when it comes to competence and integrity.

40 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Have you ever been actively involved in the sport and actually had to deal with the sort of people that run amateur level soccer associations that get to vote on who rises to the very top? To put things charitably although it would be nice to think that last bit is true, there are still significant issues with how the CSA is structured. Also worth bearing in mind that getting to head an organization that previously selected Jack Warner as its head honcho and kept him there is not necessarily a positive sign when it comes to competence and integrity.

Let's have a bit more faith in Uncle Vic than that :)

Obviously we can't pin all our hopes on him, and he most definitely is not infallible, but his honest and direct public persona has already been an incredible breath of fresh air.

3 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

To pass the time, what would everyone's favourite option be if the CPL doesn't become a thing?

USL Canadian Division?  Stand-alones in NASL?  Canadian semi-pro D2 league?

Stand alones in NASL. Then we just wait for the American teams to fold and leave behind a league that will become known as the CPL.

7 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

To pass the time, what would everyone's favourite option be if the CPL doesn't become a thing?

All of the above!
We have 3 D1 (MLS) and 2 D2 (NASL) and 3 D3 (USL) so just keep adding wherever we can find owners willing and able to go the patient, longterm route (like the Faths, bless them).

I have a ton to thank NASL for, too many words there, but it was a pretty risky, or perhaps even a shady, proposition from day 1, the league overall.

The latest on NASL seems to be that Neil Morris and Brian Straus had tweeted yesterday about how a 9-team league for 2017 is a best-case scenario atm. And there was a Reuters article yesterday confirming that Aaron Davidson will plead guilty to his CONCACAF bribery case from the US DoJ.

All that I've seen over the last 18 months have just thrown me heavily off NASL overall and it sucks. I remember asking Yahoo to make a NASL fantasy game, and Peterson being all personally rah-rah for it and everything just last season.

So, yay CPL whoot~ And USL.

18 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Definitely stand-alone NASL teams. I'm a big fan of an independent tier-2 league, over a minor league affiliate kind of set-up. Ottawa and Edmonton have been a lot of fun to follow in recent years and have done a great job of filling a gap that has existed for years in our pro soccer environment.

If the NASL ever folds, then I really hope that USL separates the independent teams to create a proper ("play for trophies") Division-2, leaving the reserve teams as a (developmental) Division-3.

Had missed that and 9 seems to be optimistic as there appear to be doubts still about Fort Lauderdale and Puerto Rico in particular.

Beyond that, worth bearing in mind that when Alan Davidson of Traffic Sports was still in charge at the NASL in 2014 what we were hearing from Duane Rollins was what would basically have been a Canadian division within the NASL:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/csa-cfl-and-nasl-to-launch-canadian-league-r4701

CSN has confirmed that the CSA is involved in negotiations with the CFL and NASL to launch an all-Canadian league.

There could be as many as seven teams involved, all affiliated with local CFL teams and playing in CFL stadiums.

Hamilton's Bob Young is said to be the leading voice on the CFL side. The Ti-Cats owner was previously involved in professional soccer in Carolina. Although he had a falling out with Traffic Sports, sources say that relationship has been healed...

I suspect the carrot for the CFL owners was infrastructure money tied into a successful 2026 World Cup bid. Traffic Sports was the broadcaster of choice where CONCACAF was concerned before the wider FIFA corruption scandal unfolded and may have stood to benefit from that scenario as well:

http://www.concacaf.com/article/concacaf-announces-deal-renewal-with-traffic-sports-for-sponsorship-rights

Victor Montagliani is now the head of CONCACAF after Jack Warner had to step down. Not sure where that all leads in a join the dots sort of way, but I think people on here should be a little bit more skeptical about who they place their trust in.

20 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Stand-alones in NASL and pushing NASL to have a Canadian sanctioned side. Getting out from under the USSF umbrella, and as far away from an AHL style farm system is really the key component here.

Some chirping back and forth on twitter between Larson and Totera...Larson reiterating that MLSE remains "confident" they will be involved in CPL in some form, while Totera remains insistent there will be no B teams in the league. Frankly, Larson is basically a mouthpiece for MLSE, so I don't consider him incredibly credible, but Totera's sources are of unknown credibility. Will be interesting to watch

EDIT: Beat me to it Shermanator. Larson's tweet: 

I think if TFC is involved, it's really MLSE and they would create a new team for the league. I wouldn't mind a NYCFC/MCFC kind of affiliation in all honesty. Especially as Rollins mentioned before an investor that was interested in creating a TO team for the league that was separate from MLSE. Two TO CPL teams would be cool.

Really, those aren't mutually exclusive points. While I am not very comfortable with reserve sides, if TFC wants to put in an independently labelled team in, why not add the additional stability? If a condition of ownership is the inability to explicitly state that the team is inferior, it is not as if casual fans will know the difference.

Say...Toronto Blizzard. If there is a cap on in-season loans (say 3 loan transactions per season), the team couldn't operate as a reserve team, but could serve as a stepping stone between MLS and USL. I don't think that stepping stone is necessary at this point, but if MLSE is insistent and the quality of MLS keeps improving at a brisk pace, it could be mutually beneficial for the club and league.

It's been implied to me by someone who prefers not to post but has demonstrated CSA connections before that the Rollins report of a "billionaire owner" is legitimate to a certain extent, though no names were dropped. Whether that person/group would be happy with an MLSE team in the city, really diluting the market further, is probably a whole other question. Maybe they could get MLSE interested in a whole other market, though that seems unlikely

EDIT: Apparently I type too slow, Vince more or less stated my point already

3 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I think if TFC is involved, it's really MLSE and they would create a new team for the league. I wouldn't mind a NYCFC/MCFC kind of affiliation in all honesty. Especially as Rollins mentioned before an investor that was interested in creating a TO team for the league that was separate from MLSE. Two TO CPL teams would be cool.

I agree two Toronto teams would be cool but worry about how MLSE views the league. Like if they field a team which is mostly kids on loan from TFC or have a team that's essentially just a stepping stone to TFC for academy grads I would be concerned. I have no issue with the MLS teams loaning kids to CPL teams (in fact I support it) but having a team designed for it would make the league look cheap. I also question if they would want to have another soccer team spending millions on players in a league that draws less than 10K.

Presumably TFC have been speaking to Victor Montagliani given they were meeting him late last month (according to Kurt Larsson's article in the Toronto Sun), while Anthony Totera has probably been hearing the Hamilton Ticats/John McGrane perspective on things. It's quite possible that Montagliani and McGrane are not on the same page at this point on how this saga ultimately unfolds.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Presumably TFC have been speaking to Victor Montagliani given they were meeting him late last month (according to Kurt Larsson's article in the Toronto Sun), while Anthony Totera has probably been hearing the Hamilton Ticats/John McGrane perspective on things. It's quite possible that Montagliani and McGrane are not on the same page at this point on how this saga ultimately unfolds.

This would imply that the CSA has gone with the futballer group? or that Bob young is with said group?

This confusion should be worrisome.

4 minutes ago, Pqhbv said:

This would imply that the CSA has gone with the futballer group? or that Bob young is with said group?

This confusion should be worrisome.

I am very doubtful anyone of note was actually involved with the futballer's group. 

Archived