ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/10/2016 at 3:16 PM, Gopherbashi said:

Glitching glitch glitch

On 14/10/2016 at 3:53 PM, ironcub14 said:

Ditto

Screenshot by Gavin Day. Doesn't mean it's related to CPL, but it's definitely not just projectionist trademark games

At this point my bet is that that TSN isn't super happy with ratings and has either abandoned a bid for MLS rights or is going for a split deal with TSN for MLS

Still... No sense that there would already be a banner if the rights aren't even up yet. The timing still leaves a little hope of it going hand in hand with a somewhat imminent announcement for CPL. 

Either way, it'll be good for Canadian soccer

CBC struggles for ratings among younger viewers and recent immigrants and soccer skews towards those groups, so pushing MLS as a cheaper alternative to other sports properties maybe makes sense from their standpoint, but it's still a pleasant surprise. It's also possible that MLS has been unhappy with TSN for not pushing the league hard enough given their CFL obsession rather than the other way about.

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

CBC struggles for ratings among younger viewers and recent immigrants and soccer skews towards those groups, so pushing MLS as a cheaper alternative to other sports properties maybe makes sense from their standpoint, but it's still a pleasant surprise. It's also possible that MLS has been unhappy with TSN for not pushing the league hard enough given their CFL obsession rather than the other way about.

I doubt CBC is paying much, unless they have word of increased funding under the new government. Especially after claiming to be out of the sports broadcasting business. If anything I bet it will be a split deal, maybe a game of the week type thing on CBC with the rest Stoll on TSN

On 2016-10-22 at 4:49 PM, matty said:

Just curious but would anyone here actually be fine if the CPL had a mere 14 game season?

Nope, not even if they don't count VCup games in that total.

On 2016-10-22 at 6:56 PM, matty said:

I pitched something a while ago on here I called "Soccer Day in Canada" ...

Did you miss when CBC did exactly that a couple of years ago? They had a game and live feeds from across the country with National team players doing stuff on camera with kids from what I recall.

Just as Kurtis Larson acts as the spokesperson for TFC, Fury Fanatic is basically at this point acting as a spokesperson for Fury FC, alongside AJ Jakubec.

Duane Rollins had told me and several others on twitter, a few weeks ago, and the above tweets from Fury Fanatic seem to go along with this, that there may very well be a competing CPL bid coming from Ottawa, if OSEG does not go along with CPL.

I've argued in the main CPL thread for the USL Canada option in the past, but I'm not happy to hear that, if a CPL were to really go forward, that OSEG is not willing to be a part of this from the get go, from two different perspectives.

It obviously sucks to hear OSEG thinks USL would be a better way to go than CPL.

But it also sucks to hear that the CPL group, whether it be Young, McGrane or Vic, that they cannot convince OSEG to follow along with them.

Overall, I'm very much holding out to see just how many concrete ownership groups actually come to fruition in a CPL over the next 2-3 years. Or if they wanna give us all some big fancy Christmas gifts, the next 2-3 months.

11 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Just as Kurtis Larson acts as the spokesperson for TFC, Fury Fanatic is basically at this point acting as a spokesperson for Fury FC, alongside AJ Jakubec.

Duane Rollins had told me and several others on twitter, a few weeks ago, and the above tweets from Fury Fanatic seem to go along with this, that there may very well be a competing CPL bid coming from Ottawa, if OSEG does not go along with CPL.

I've argued in the main CPL thread for the USL Canada option in the past, but I'm not happy to hear that, if a CPL were to really go forward, that OSEG is not willing to be a part of this from the get go, from two different perspectives.

It obviously sucks to hear OSEG thinks USL would be a better way to go than CPL.

But it also sucks to hear that the CPL group, whether it be Young, McGrane or Vic, that they cannot convince OSEG to follow along with them.

Overall, I'm very much holding out to see just how many concrete ownership groups actually come to fruition in a CPL over the next 2-3 years. Or if they wanna give us all some big fancy Christmas gifts, the next 2-3 months.

It's baffling to me that there isn't constant fan consultation during this process. Quite disheartening actually.

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Rollins confirming that TSN is dropping MLS, CBC is picking it up, thus the explanation for "Soccer Night in Canada"

https://sportspodcastingnetwork.com/2016/10/24/soccer-today-on-spn-radio-october-24th-2016-decision-the-day-after-with-charles-boehm-and-mls-on-cbcradio-canada-in-2017/

Wow did not see that coming.  Good for CBC but doubt that means non Canadian games get picked up which is not good.

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

Wow did not see that coming.  Good for CBC but doubt that means non Canadian games get picked up which is not good.

True, but with viewership for Canadian games so low already, can't imagine mroe than 20-30k were watching the non-Canadian teams play.

That is a lot of games TSN has cleared off their schedule, and a decent amount of Canadian content. Hopefully what some of us have been hearing about TSN is true and they pull a CFL for CPL

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

I am probably missing something, but with 3 MLS teams and crap viewership for non-Canadian MLS games, I don't think the absence of US-only games is that big of a deal - especially for a channel that is definitely not a dedicated sports broadcaster.  Personally, I like the idea of broadcasting local footy to every Canadian regardless of cable subscriptions.

On another note, is there any indication how long this agreement runs? 

12 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

True, but with viewership for Canadian games so low already, can't imagine mroe than 20-30k were watching the non-Canadian teams play.

That is a lot of games TSN has cleared off their schedule, and a decent amount of Canadian content. Hopefully what some of us have been hearing about TSN is true and they pull a CFL for CPL

I know the ratings are low but realistically the only way to grow the league in general here is to broadcast more games.  I just don't want MLS to be a niche sport where only the Canadian teams are broadcasted but that looks like the way it's going to go.

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am probably missing something, but with 3 MLS teams and crap viewership for non-Canadian MLS games, I don't think the absence of US-only games is that big of a deal - especially for a channel that is definitely not a dedicated sports broadcaster. 

As I said in another reply, just wanted MLS to grow in general in Canada which TSN could do but didn't and CBC won't do.  Was hoping a new TSN contract would bring about more games from the non-Canadian teams.

2 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I know the ratings are low but realistically the only way to grow the league in general here is to broadcast more games.  I just don't want MLS to be a niche sport where only the Canadian teams are broadcasted but that looks like the way it's going to go.

HNIC only broadcasts Canadian hockey teams, and it would be inaccurate to portray this as in any way niche or limiting.  I suspect that the vast majority of people who would watch MLS in Canada are a supporter of one of the big 3, or at least support the 3 teams in a general way.  I don't know a single person who actively cheers for a US-based MLS team as their primary team.  We may someday get to a time when Seattle vs. Houston draws a respectable viewership in Canada, but that time is not now IMO.

Plus you have to factor in that most Canadian footy fans will also follow one or more of the top tier leagues abroad when the seasons overlap.  So a broadcaster also has to compete with ultra-high profile leagues like the EPL or La Liga when it comes to the market of Canadian footy viewers.  When presented with a range of high level options from something like the EPL - where at least 6 teams have enough brand recognition cache to attract neutral interest - I think MLS will struggle to quickly expand interest when a local team isn't on the field.

Oh yeah, and MLS also competes with Summer weekends.  Bottom line - I think MLS viewership will grow slowly, and will likely never outpace the growth of the on-field product aside from the local teams that garner more attention. 

Serious question: if TSN was not happy with their MLS viewership figures and dropped it for CBC to pick up, should we be expecting them to 1.5-2.5 years from now, in Spring 2018 or Spring 2019, double down on soccer by picking up a number of CPL games instead?

We realistically know that CPL even in its most optimistic scenario will not be a competitor to MLS in its first season, nor is that likely 5 seasons in.

As great as CBC is, I want TSN and Sportsnet to be fighting for and showing as much soccer on TV as possible, and I'm not sure if this is good news whatsoever.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

HNIC only broadcasts Canadian hockey teams, and it would be inaccurate to portray this as in any way niche or limiting.  I suspect that the vast majority of people who would watch MLS in Canada are a supporter of one of the big 3, or at least support the 3 teams in a general way.  I don't know a single person who actively cheers for a US-based MLS team as their primary team.  We may someday get to a time when Seattle vs. Houston draws a respectable viewership in Canada, but that time is not now IMO.

Plus you have to factor in that most Canadian footy fans will also follow one or more of the top tier leagues abroad when the seasons overlap.  So a broadcaster also has to compete with ultra-high profile leagues like the EPL or La Liga when it comes to the market of Canadian footy viewers.  When presented with a range of high level options from something like the EPL - where at least 6 teams have enough brand recognition cache to attract neutral interest - I think MLS will struggle to quickly expand interest when a local team isn't on the field.

Oh yeah, and MLS also competes with Summer weekends.  Bottom line - I think MLS viewership will grow slowly, and will likely never outpace the growth of the on-field product aside from the local teams that garner more attention. 

-You can't compare soccer to hockey here due to the history

-I don't support US teams but I would like the chance to watch games.  MLS is the only league I really follow and care about and the league I would like to see it have more of an impact.  I'm not expecting quick growth but the option to see more games could only help.  That being said given the ratings for the Canadian team games I'm not surprised at all.

4 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Serious question: if TSN was not happy with their MLS viewership figures and dropped it for CBC to pick up, should we be expecting them to 1.5-2.5 years from now, in Spring 2018 or Spring 2019, double down on soccer by picking up a number of CPL games instead?

We realistically know that CPL even in its most optimistic scenario will not be a competitor to MLS in its first season, nor is that likely 5 seasons in.

As great as CBC is, I want TSN and Sportsnet to be fighting for and showing as much soccer on TV as possible, and I'm not sure if this is good news whatsoever.

My guess is what little the rights fees were for MLS it was too much for TSN as I'm pretty sure that CBC wouldn't put out much.  I can't remember exactly what happened when they made all their big cuts the last time but seem to recall it involving not bidding for pro sports.

As for TSN I've always maintained the CPL is about cheap, controllable, Canadian content for them.  Also who knows what happened behind the scenes (if anything) between the league and TSN.  Might of been issues there.  

Who knows though.  But as a sports media junkie I find it very fascinating and can't wait to see the story behind it all.

7 minutes ago, Rheo said:

-You can't compare soccer to hockey here due to the history

-I don't support US teams but I would like the chance to watch games.  MLS is the only league I really follow and care about and the league I would like to see it have more of an impact.  I'm not expecting quick growth but the option to see more games could only help.  That being said given the ratings for the Canadian team games I'm not surprised at all.

I am just pointing out that a Canadian broadcaster focusing on Canadian teams doesn't equate to niche thinking.  3 Canadian teams will likely meet the market demands for MLS games at the present time.  

14 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

I think it fits together if you look at the bigger picture

TSN was upset at low ratings for a presumably elevated price. In most cases, that would probably mean that at the next round of negotiations they would demand a much lower price, and since their only really competitor is Sportsnet (which is packed to the gills with content currently), they'd probably get it.

But what if they had an option on the table that was much cheaper, was pitched from a group they have a good working relationship with (CFL being one of the TSN flagship products), and could probably draw viewers in the same order of magnitude? I imagine dropping MLS altogether could then become a reasonable option.

I really doubt CPL would be asking in the same order or magnitude for broadcast rights as MLS, but how much worse would viewership being? Unless it is 10X worse, paying CPL a small fraction is a better deal, and it is something they can mold freely into a product they largely control.

I think it is good news on both fronts. MLS can drive interest in soccer better on CBC, while TSN can shape CPL into a decent CFL-esque product that caters to the Canada-first crowds.

EDIT: The alternative interpretation could be that it wasn't TSN that walked away, it was MLS. Garber has repeatedly complained about the lack of penetration into the Canadian market. Could it be that they pitched the idea to CBC at a low price to increase viewership? It is possible

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am just pointing out that a Canadian broadcaster focusing on Canadian teams doesn't equate to niche thinking.  3 Canadian teams will likely meet the market demands for MLS games at the present time.  

I was just saying you can't point out the NHL and it's century of history and MLS with it's ten in Canada and use HNIC only broadcasting Canadian teams and it not being niche.  Hard to grow the league in general when there's a narrow focus in my opinion.  I have been wrong many times before though lol.  Probably just thinking too big.

Archived