Canadian Premier League

ted

All L1O players should be signed to developmental contracts, and CPL/MLS clubs should have to compete for players signatures - allowing players to decide what's in their best interest. It would also mean that transfers fees involved will lower the cost of producing players and thus decreasing cost to parents.

The draft would not achieve that

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, zen said:

All L1O players should be signed to developmental contracts, and CPL/MLS clubs should have to compete for players signatures - allowing players to decide what's in their best interest. It would also mean that transfers fees involved will lower the cost of producing players and thus decreasing cost to parents.

I agree (edit: well, maybe not all L1O players should have developmental contracts. Lots of good semi-pro teams in decent leagues around the world have a mix of signed player and amateurs, that's an ok endpoint for L1O), I'm just not sure what kind of restrictions on competition would be imposed by single entity in the Canadian context. I don't think a draft is good for anyone, but it could be part of the price that is paid for the stability of single entity. 

13 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I agree (edit: well, maybe not all L1O players should have developmental contracts. Lots of good semi-pro teams in decent leagues around the world have a mix of signed player and amateurs, that's an ok endpoint for L1O), I'm just not sure what kind of restrictions on competition would be imposed by single entity in the Canadian context. I don't think a draft is good for anyone, but it could be part of the price that is paid for the stability of single entity. 

Developmental contracts need not be a weekly wage. Even setting up a trust fund so that players who don't make it in soccer can pursue an education should be seen as a legitimate way of signing players to contracts. That way a larger number of players can be signed to contracts.

7 minutes ago, zen said:

Developmental contracts need not be a weekly wage. Even setting up a trust fund so that players who don't make it in soccer can pursue an education should be seen as a legitimate way of signing players to contracts. That way a larger number of players can be signed to contracts.

I like the idea, but wouldn't this end up increasing the burden on (most) parents instead of alleviating it? My understanding is that most L1O teams are funded primarily by the pay-to-play club structure beneath them, not by gate revenue (though I imagine some like London are doing well at the gate). The money has to come from somewhere, and that would mean increased fees to parents in the younger age groups.

That is unless you mean the CPL pays for it, which I don't see as super likely, as they will probably be running deficits of their own for a decade or more

10 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I like the idea, but wouldn't this end up increasing the burden on (most) parents instead of alleviating it? My understanding is that most L1O teams are funded primarily by the pay-to-play club structure beneath them, not by gate revenue (though I imagine some like London are doing well at the gate). The money has to come from somewhere, and that would mean increased fees to parents in the younger age groups.

That is unless you mean the CPL pays for it, which I don't see as super likely, as they will probably be running deficits of their own for a decade or more

The primary function of L1O clubs is to develop the best talent possible. Teams in leagues above them (CPL/MLS) should compensate L1O teams through transfer/developmental fees for every player they sign. Those fees can be used to subsidize cost of running the L1O team including contractual obligations to players. In the long run the operation of the L1O clubs should be self sustaining and hopfully the team can eventually generate enough revenue to one day subsidize the pay-to-play structure.

What I'm trying to get at is that this the ideal structure for the future. If the CPL doesn't leave the opportunity open for this to exist in the future, by implementing drafts from the onset thereby creating something similar to the OHL model, it would be very hard to change the status quo in the future. The draft model imo would be more likely to result in the L1O teams not being properly compensated, therefore reducing the net benefit in the entire system.

35 minutes ago, zen said:

Gotta find a way to replicate those FCL attendance numbers then.

In news: someone who is at the same address as the Hamilton Tiger Cats has trademarked "Canadian Premier League", "The CPL", "CPL" "Premiere Ligue"  "Ligue Canadienne Premier (sic) de Soccer", "Premier League (sic) Canadienne" , "Hamilton Steelers" and "Hamilton United". All those were filed on September 28 and formalized 2 days later.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/bldSrch.do?lang=eng&selectField1=+&textField1=HTCFC+Holdings+ULC&submitButton=Search&andOr1=and&selectField2=+&textField2=&andOr2=and&selectField3=+&textField3=&andOr3=and&selectField4=+&textField4=&andOr4=and&selectField5=+&textField5=&selectWithin=&selectStatus=&checkboxTMType=&selectDateStatus=&fromDate=1865-01-01&toDate=2016-10-11&selectMaxDoc=1000&selectDocsPerPage=10

12 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

In news: someone who is at the same address as the Hamilton Tiger Cats has trademarked "Canadian Premier League", "The CPL", "CPL" "Premiere Ligue"  "Ligue Canadienne Premier (sic) de Soccer", "Premier League (sic) Canadienne" , "Hamilton Steelers" and "Hamilton United". All those were filed on September 28 and formalized 2 days later.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/bldSrch.do?lang=eng&selectField1=+&textField1=HTCFC+Holdings+ULC&submitButton=Search&andOr1=and&selectField2=+&textField2=&andOr2=and&selectField3=+&textField3=&andOr3=and&selectField4=+&textField4=&andOr4=and&selectField5=+&textField5=&selectWithin=&selectStatus=&checkboxTMType=&selectDateStatus=&fromDate=1865-01-01&toDate=2016-10-11&selectMaxDoc=1000&selectDocsPerPage=10

Dibs on "OURS"

19 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Let's see what the naysayers have to say about this

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The main thing that delayed L1O is that Rossi and co initially tried joining the existing CSL instead of launching a rival league, but the owners (such as the Gauss family in London and Bruno Ierullo in North York) that held ownership shares in the league ousted them when Rossi and co tried to move the league in a direction that they were not comfortable with, such as an attempt to launch a new division in BC. Are there any semi-pro players in L1O yet? The rhetoric was all about a semi-pro league before it was launched, but instead what materialized was basically another elite amateur league. If CPL follows a similar trajectory it will wind up being a lot closer to a Canadian version of PDL rather than the NASL, which is probably how it could actually realistically happen with something similar to the New Zealand Football Championship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Football_Championship

Great point. L10 has done well, but it was being discussed as an alternative to USL before it was launched. In reality, it's a slightly worse PDL that's best successes (which aren't nothing) are summer games for NCAA guys and free scouting for TFC2 to fill their roster.

1 hour ago, zen said:

They should not be signed to contracts (if they don't want), takes away any chance for NCAA eligiablity.

2 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Just for fun, I went and searched for a few cities linked with CPL to see if there were any other gems sitting in there.  Sadly, nothing for any of them.

I checked Victoria, Vancouver, Surrey, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina, Saskatchewan, Winnipeg, London, Mississauga, Toronto, Oshawa, Ottawa, Quebec, Moncton, and Halifax.

"Ottawa City Soccer Club" was registered by the Ottawa Nepean Soccer Club back in July, but it's listed as an amateur league (in before "but that's what CPL will be)

I wonder if the trademarking now was just in part to secure it from the 2nd group that may be putting in a rival league bid.

It could also be that they are close to an announcement.

I've been staying out of this thread for a while but kinda following it.  I'm going to wait for about 3 or 4 more weeks before speculating further.  ?

10 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I wonder if the trademarking now was just in part to secure it from the 2nd group that may be putting in a rival league bid.

Ugh that annoying second group with the spokesman who made zero sense during his long AF rambles about 3 years to profit, no need for TV and how he and the others were experts in reviving failed leagues. Nearly forget their EPL connection, subpar website and original announcement on a forum like this.

22 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

It could also be that they are close to an announcement.

I've been staying out of this thread for a while but kinda following it.  I'm going to wait for about 3 or 4 more weeks before speculating further.  ?

I would assume the second group is dead in the water considering the first group is the sanctioning body.

Archived