Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Great point. L10 has done well, but it was being discussed as an alternative to USL before it was launched. In reality, it's a slightly worse PDL that's best successes (which aren't nothing) are summer games for NCAA guys and free scouting for TFC2 to fill their roster.

I would give L1O more credit than that. They do play a full season... Most of the best talent from the league has been from Sigma and not TFC/TFC2... its growth & potential are well and above what the PDL are and will ever be.

A slightly worse PDL would be the PCSL.

51 minutes ago, Pqhbv said:

I would give L1O more credit than that. They do play a full season... Most of the best talent from the league has been from Sigma and not TFC/TFC2... its growth & potential are well and above what the PDL are and will ever be.

A slightly worse PDL would be the PCSL.

Not going to lie; I was kind of hoping FCL would crash and burn this season so that L1O looked better than PDL.

8 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Got to remember that FCL came over as one of the more impress teams in PDL. It's not like they were bottom feeders and turned around to dominate L1O

Yeah, they were, what? 2nd or 3rd in their (very strong) division, so I'm not surprised that they're doing well... but it's a little bit of L1O pride that makes me not want to see them win the title in their first year.

3 hours ago, matty said:

To be fair to @TRM it's still only a rumour until it's announced so no gloating or teasing until then guys

Oh no mon ami. Gloat and get yer digs in while you can! This is entertaining and as others have pointed out it may be a tad premature.

While my heart hopes "this time is different" my head keeps overruling it with "we've seen this movie before and several times at that".

3 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I wonder if the trademarking now was just in part to secure it from the 2nd group that may be putting in a rival league bid.

You win. Let me guess you were the smart kid in school?

It could also be that they are close to an announcement.

We can only wait and see.

I've been staying out of this thread for a while but kinda following it.  I'm going to wait for about 3 or 4 more weeks before speculating further.  ?

You are also very wise unlike some of us who post while drinking beer.

To BBTB,

I just want to say, how dare you accuse anyone on this forum of being "seething with jealousy," over Americans taking over soccer related jobs over here. The issue was never about Americans taking over soccer jobs, whether that be roster spots or coaching positions. It was always about having the best people for the position, whether that be American, Canadian or otherwise. I am currently in the process of becoming a shareholder of the planned Chicago NASL club. I am doing it because I believe in Peter Wilt's vision on how the sport should be run on this continent. Before anybody jumps on me, I will do the same for any CPL or Canadian based NASL club that will run themselves in the same manner. BBTB, what are you doing besides complaining and desperately clinging to a status quo you have no vested interest in? Please tell me.

Edit: They haven't got back to me yet so planned ownership of Chicago NASL is on hold lol

9 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Just for fun, I went and searched for a few cities linked with CPL to see if there were any other gems sitting in there.  Sadly, nothing for any of them.

The time to get excited is when you see activity in multiple cities. We have known for a long time that John McGrane and the Ticats are interested in this. The big mystery is how they find another seven teams to play against that could operate at a level that justifies the use of CFL stadia. Seem to remember excitement on here about the Blizzard being brought back in a CUSL context about 10 to 15 years ago that revolved around the trademark being reactivated so beyond that all I get from this is a feeling of deja vu.

7 hours ago, Pqhbv said:

TFC got OSA permission this past season to field a team in PDL, because L1O was regarded as not providing sufficiently high competition. Not sure if that will be happening next year again. It was supposed to only be for one year, but there has been no word so far that I am aware of that TFC's PDL team is folding and over what's happening with KW United.

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

TFC got OSA permission this past season to field a team in PDL, because L1O was regarded as not providing sufficiently high competition. Not sure if that will be happening next year again. It was supposed to only be for one year, but there has been no word so far that I am aware of that TFC's PDL team is folding and over what's happening with KW United.

It was a one-year notice for all of the Ontario-based PDL teams (KW, FCL, and TB included), but I haven't heard any update about it since the story broke last year.

I suspect that TFCA may get a break under some "academy of a higher club" rule, and TB may get a pass because of the "you're really friggin far away" rule, but I'd be shocked if KW somehow managed to weasel their way into an exemption.

7 hours ago, Blue and White Army said:

There will not be a CPL draft. Possibly a discovery list, but not a draft. Think of the reputational hit if the top draftees opted to sign for a different league instead.

You may be right but I'll bet on a similar structure to MLS including a draft.  I don't see anyone signing with a different league as a any type of hit.  It's not a hit on the CFL when they draft a Canadian and he chooses to go the NFL.  Just gives the team the rights to the player.

7 hours ago, zen said:

NCAA is going to be almost irrelevant in 10 years.

That's possible but I doubt it.  It'll be like hockey, there for the players that slip through the cracks.  I know it will never be a major source of top talent but it will always have a role

43 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

It was a one-year notice for all of the Ontario-based PDL teams (KW, FCL, and TB included), but I haven't heard any update about it since the story broke last year.

I suspect that TFCA may get a break under some "academy of a higher club" rule, and TB may get a pass because of the "you're really friggin far away" rule, but I'd be shocked if KW somehow managed to weasel their way into an exemption.

Think it's much the same as TFC and co being forced out of MLS. A lot depends on whether the PDL team would be able to sue the soccer associations for damage to their business etc. The KW group bought what had originally been a W League franchise in Hamilton that was later converted to a PDL team before being moved to a different city, so it's not the same as FC London, who were the group that initially entered PDL when the franchise was awarded.

Don't want to give anybody ideas with this as I think it's low life behaviour, but people will often register trademarks and claim urls for websites that might be used in future by businesses and sports teams in the hope that somebody will eventually pay to buy them. Registering CPL and Hamilton Steelers could have been done to preempt that possibility rather than because the league is just around the corner. When we see newspaper stories with attributed quotes and name the team type surveys from would be owners in other cities, it will be time to get excited about this.

Archived