NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

Sebastian Vinatea (GK) (2004) is now with Universitario de Deportes and recently trained with Peru's U20 team in September. He was born in Quebec. 

https://elcomercio.pe/deporte-total/seleccion/seleccion-peruana-los-sub-20-de-la-mls-y-como-la-federecion-peruana-de-futbol-los-capto-para-jugar-por-peru-fpf-nczd-dtcc-noticia/ 

Apparently, he had interest from the CPL back in the summer.

14 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Luka Jeftic and Anthony Marinaro are both with Rayo Vallecano C. I believe it’s an actual reserve team in the lower leagues of Spain and not just a pay to play academy.

Those are 7th tier and 8th tier competitions, they are not a high level, just saying. You are correct that it is not pay to play, but they may pay their minimum fees to the club, which would be low.

If they were two tiers higher, it'd be something to pay attention to.

Hardly any La Liga team operates C and D teams anymore, they get nothing from them. They used to have C teams, but most have streamlined their academies and work with smaller groups at every age range, except down at u-10 and u8. Rayo may do it as they have a neighbourhood tradition in Vallecas, a working class area of Madrid. That is what I figure. 

If they are over 19, or no longer eligible for u-19, then it is a chance to play, nothing more. But probably not different or even lower than a good L1 team.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

10 minutes ago, Buchta said:

Where did you find info about him starting most games?  

From the teams Instagram page. I actually went back and counted and he’s started 5 of 9 games since joining to be exact. Unfortunately it’s impossible to find the goal scorers for those games. According to their Instagram page as well he's signed a contract until 2025. 

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think it's sixth now, @narduch... always complicated with the restructuring. 

La Liga 

Smartbank 2nd

Primera federación

Segunda federación

Tercera federación

Then the regional leagues, Los Barrios is in the top tier of Andalucia. Ok for a 20 year old.

Thanks for the correction. 

Upon further research they finished dead last the previous season and relegated to 6th tier.

In my opinion these tiers are dead ends.

Better off trying to make it in North America. 

12 hours ago, narduch said:

Thanks for the correction. 

Upon further research they finished dead last the previous season and relegated to 6th tier.

In my opinion these tiers are dead ends.

Better off trying to make it in North America. 

Now, I'd agree. I think it is probably better than a League One club, but not better than a CPL team.

We've seen CPL guys playing in Spain anywhere from 5th to 3rd tier (Piti, at Alavés B, think Cantave was too), but that was the old structure. Now third, fourth and fifth are all more competitive, there are less divisions, less teams, the level has risen, pay minimums as well. 

Still, at age 20 this is fine. My son had buddies playing in top level u-19, then when they were a year older had to drop to 5-6th tier pro to get on a roster. It is very difficult to leverage top talent age 19 into a pro contract age 20 if you are just one of many (not talking about the u-19s on the very best of clubs).

Edited by Unnamed Trialist