NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

2 hours ago, Buchta said:

Getafe international academy is a 'pay to play' academy if I remember correctly.

You're right. They do not play federated football. You'd be better on any competitive team playing competitive football, in most cases just find the best club closest to home. 

For me, these are the tangible signs of the intrinsic stupidity of well-off parents. 

Francesco Di Ponzio (2006) is a US-Canada dual-national with NYCFC. He played 13 minutes off the bench this week for the MLS NextPro side. 

https://www.transfermarkt.us/francesco-di-ponzio/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/1008524/wettbewerb/MNP3/saison/2021

https://sportsrecruits.com/athlete/francesco_diponzio

1 hour ago, Atlantic said:

Finally found some more info on this. He seemed to have joined their international academy, Escuela de Fútbol del Real Oviedo. Parm Atwal, who is also Canadian is in the same academy with Mann. 

I am not sure that information is correct, because their Escuela only has groups up to those born in 2009, not before. As per the webpage

https://www.realoviedo.es/cantera/escuela-real-oviedo

Regardless, if it were the Escuela, because they are expanding or something, the set up is interesting. It is not an expensive pay to play academy but it is not Oviedo's competitive federated youth programme either. It almost seems that they do it as a social programme. In fact, registration is free and they describe it as first come-first serve, then the monthly rates are like modest competitive lower-tier clubs in Spain, under 50€ a month.

It also appears to have an adjoining English language school.

I wonder if they are using the Escuela to register and legalise underage foreign players who actually are training with the competitive groups until they are old enough to officially sign with the club. They are both just pushing 18 as I understand it? I see Parm Atwal had trained with pro clubs in Portugal.

So I am guessing they are legit of interest to Oviedo and this is a solution to get around the legal impediment.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Still very far from entering the “is this kid a legitimate prospect” phase but Diago Delgado (who I think has a thread on here) has scored 37 goals in 31 games for. OS Beleneses U13s. To my knowledge his team plays against the likes of Benfica and Sporting. Maybe if he continues to impress he could join one of their academies in the future. 

Edited by Atlantic

On 5/6/2022 at 7:59 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am not sure that information is correct, because their Escuela only has groups up to those born in 2009, not before. As per the webpage

https://www.realoviedo.es/cantera/escuela-real-oviedo

Regardless, if it were the Escuela, because they are expanding or something, the set up is interesting. It is not an expensive pay to play academy but it is not Oviedo's competitive federated youth programme either. It almost seems that they do it as a social programme. In fact, registration is free and they describe it as first come-first serve, then the monthly rates are like modest competitive lower-tier clubs in Spain, under 50€ a month.

It also appears to have an adjoining English language school.

I wonder if they are using the Escuela to register and legalise underage foreign players who actually are training with the competitive groups until they are old enough to officially sign with the club. They are both just pushing 18 as I understand it? I see Parm Atwal had trained with pro clubs in Portugal.

So I am guessing they are legit of interest to Oviedo and this is a solution to get around the legal impediment.

952AC5E1-4771-475A-9621-3F7FAC2C840F.jpeg.08d51f88e26954c569b23cf806d2275a.jpeg

Thanks for the info. I was basing it off this image where they’re wearing the logo of Escuela de Fútbol del Real Oviedo but perhaps like you said maybe to get around foreign players rules for now they’re not in the main academy setup. The coach who represents these kids called it a Oviedo’s residential academy and the kids seemed to have trained within the actual academy setup as well. Where they exactly are now maybe will be more clear soon. 

On 4/22/2022 at 10:02 PM, Atlantic said:

Anyone know who this is? https://www.transfermarkt.com/zuhier-salih/profil/spieler/1007665

Cannot find any info on him 

Figured out more. Also goes by Zohier Salah and they are within Levante’s academy. They had trials in Germany last year that Dortmund and Schalke scouts attended. 

Here’s a goal he’s scored for Levante 

I cannot tell what level he is at. I don’t believe Levante have a pay to play academy? Perhaps @Unnamed Trialist you are able to understand what level this is. 

I can't figure it out either. Also see he is called Zoheir Salih, but does not help much.

He'd be Juvenil, u.19, and in last year of eligibility, so he has to turn pro now.

Transfermarkt shows 4 players on their roster, one, Marc Dolz, is a former Barça keeper who I recall so that is legit. Odd that our man would be one of the other three. He is not listed as part of the Levante u-19 A or B rosters. Maybe he's just been signed. 

The goal is nicely taken.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 11:45 PM, Atlantic said:

Still very far from entering the “is this kid a legitimate prospect” phase but Diago Delgado (who I think has a thread on here) has scored 37 goals in 31 games for. OS Beleneses U13s. To my knowledge his team plays against the likes of Benfica and Sporting. Maybe if he continues to impress he could join one of their academies in the future. 

Playmakerstats.com has him listed as a Sporting CP U14 player for next season. 

interesting case...obviously italian name...born in germany played for romania youth...dont know where is the link to canada...last two seasons played for a team in the hungarian ethnicity area of romania...now to voluntari which is just north of the capital and pretty accessible...might go watch a game next year

4 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

I asked my contact in the CSA and was told that there won't be a U17 camp until end of the Summer.  It's a shame for our 2006/07's, the US has had like 4-5 camps and have played against Argentina, Uruguay, Belgium, Italy and Portugal already..

I hate to disrespect the players, but thats where a big chunk of that WC windfall should be going.  They were all teenagers once and would have benefitted from a better funded canada youth program.   I guess the same goes for any goobers at CSA wasting cash or collecting a paycheck and doing little.  

• 3 weeks later...