Worldwide women's news

Vic

On 7/6/2021 at 2:30 PM, _Vic_ said:

Just read this - "On Friday 2 July, it became clear that assistant Jonatan Giráldez (29) will take over the main responsibility." [In Barcelona]

Wonder if there was some Shakespearean plotting and a knife in the back?

Actually, does not seem so.

I think it's a way for the club to say we promote and defend homegrown coaches as well as players. 

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

This should go to Christine Sinclair as a Lifetime Achievement Award.

Doesn't work that way, however, at least not normally. But this time out it just might.

The women's is tough because some of the best in Europe in the CL did not make the Olympics. The US stars in the NWSL did not reach their goal in the Olympics regardless of good league performances.

And then the Gold Medal winner did not have any clear single stand-out, and one of them, Labbe, is not on the list. While Sinclair was far from our best player. And Fleming is just starting her club year, while Lawrence did not have the best club year in Europe. If I had to name the best player at the Olympics, Labbe and Fleming.

Only Sam Kerr had a good club season, and a good Olympics. Maybe Eriksson.

From a Barça perspective they put in Lieke Martens but leave out Graham Hansen, who was far better on the season.  The winner of the best player award for Womens CL was Alexia Putellas, who I'd say is in fact the best female player in the world right now. 

The likely split and rather fickle vote just may see Sinclair sneak in there.

I thought the Ballon d'Or was really just a popularity contest.  They poll managers over the world, and the players at the top of the overall consciousness get the votes.  With Sinclair being in the news for breaking the goal scoring record, she may finally get votes for that.  The voting never seemed to track how well any player was actually performing that year.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Teammates of both Lawrence and Huitema. Diallo played yesterday vs Real Madrid. 

Hamraoui was at Barça until last season. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/10/psgs-aminata-diallo-taken-into-custody-after-alleged-attack-on-teammate

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I saw that PSG news on Sportscentre last night (right after a piece on the CMNT game in Edmonton). Shocking stuff if it's confirmed Diallo is responsible! Her own teammate! Diallo is just 26 years old and this likely ends her career (and of course will give her a stint in jail if convicted). I hope Hamraoui recovers OK.

12 hours ago, Kent said:

I saw that PSG news on Sportscentre last night (right after a piece on the CMNT game in Edmonton). Shocking stuff if it's confirmed Diallo is responsible! Her own teammate! Diallo is just 26 years old and this likely ends her career (and of course will give her a stint in jail if convicted). I hope Hamraoui recovers OK.

Updated news says over the past few days up to 5 other PSG players had received threats. 

Some had increased security, including having bodyguards. 

Diallo seems to have some connection with a person currently in a correctional facility near Lyon, according to a tip received by the police, which tied her to this person and his "gang". 

The speculation that Diallo was trying to eliminate a teammate in her position could be questioned, seems the two players are friends and even vacationed together this past summer.

• 4 weeks later...

Guardian put out their top 100 this week. 6 Canadians on the list are:

14. Lawrence

18. Sinclair

28. Buchanan

38. Fleming

72. Labbe

94. Gilles

3/4 of Canada's back line made it along with the keeper. Good to see Gilles made it. Sinclair is too high given she is ranked as the top NWSL player.

Labbe is 5th best keeper. Lawrence is 3rd ranked defender. Buchanan is 6th & Gilles is 18th. Fleming is 11th ranked mid & Sinclair is 10th best forward.

Top 10 has 6 Barca players & 3 Chelsea players. Top 10 has 4 players from Spain, 2 from Netherlands and 1 each from England, Denmark, Norway & Australia.

All are from Euro based clubs or NWSL ex 67. Banda from Shanghai.

By country, 15 Americans made the list but top American is 20. Sam Mewis. France has 12, Germany, Spain & England have 10 each and Sweden has 9.

By league, WSL has 24, Div 1 Feminine has 21, 20 players from NWSL, 16 from Iberdrola & 12 from Bundesliga.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2021/dec/07/the-100-best-female-footballers-in-the-world-2021#comments

Edited by red card

• 2 weeks later...

Can never happen. Show me the money. There is no business model. As long as they don't take money from the men. No one will go. They won't have sponsors. We're too big a country. The men come first.

"The future of football is feminine" was a decade ago. They are already moving on to creating opportunities in countries where women have never been allowed to compete.

• 4 weeks later...

FCB Barcelona put tickets on sale yesterday for the CL Barcelona-Real Madrid quarter final match. The decision was made to move the match from the new Johan Cruyff stadium where they normally play, capacity 6000, to Camp Nou, which can sit just over 96,000.

Word today from the club is that 70,000 have been sold, to club members only. We each could pick up 4 maximum. I just got two, only availability is in third tier. 

The cost was 0, handling, 2.50 a ticket.

We're looking at a sellout. Match to be played a midweek in March.

FCB tix.jpg

Pretty jealous. You get to see Nahikari Garcia and Esther too. Hope Real can make a game of it for the fans but even if Barcelona run away with it that will be entertaining for them as well. Thrilled for the players too, what a moment.

41 minutes ago, _Vic_ said:

Pretty jealous. You get to see Nahikari Garcia and Esther too. Hope Real can make a game of it for the fans but even if Barcelona run away with it that will be entertaining for them as well. Thrilled for the players too, what a moment.

From what I have seen, Real Madrid is a bit green still; and Nahikari is not having a good year, however much I've always liked her. I am just settling in to watching them a bit, I saw them against PSG and they were run off the pitch. 

It was always said that the key to driving women's football in Spain was for Real Madrid to get a team. Their longstanding sexism was really glaring. Now they bought out another Madrid club's license (Tacón) just 18 months ago, and at least having these clásicos will drive publics, audiences, tv interest. But oddly, Barça is so far ahead it's not really that fun. For the formula to work the teams have to be better matched.

6:45 on a Wednesday is a terrible time for a match in general, and more so for a match in Spain, you can't garner tv audiences that way. UEFA is still hiding a bit when it comes to presenting the best of the women's game.

Just a little error in my post: if you were not a club member you could get tickets at 50% off, but I think they were running at 20€ or something. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Really impressed by the club and it's supporters for giving the women this amazing evening. So positive and cool and progressive.

I watched some of that RM/PSG too and was hopeful for better but thought the same. It won't take Real long to get there though and a crowd like this will go a long way to improving them, getting handed your hat publicly by your neighbour is a strong motivator.

The upside of a 6:45pm kickoff is you're not late for dinner :)

Players selected best 11. Looks like they went with names they know. Though no Spanish players either. But Putellas won FIFA's Best Player award. Labbe lost out on Best GK. 

Only Canadian to make this list was Buchanan in 2015.

Sincy got a consolation prize with a made up award?

Edited by red card

That FifaPro 11 is really garbage, and an insult to the game. No player from Barça, European champion? But players who Barça ran over and made mincemeat of are there. Then no player from Canada, Olympic champion, which is a full women's competition and has the prestige of a World Cup.

There is obviously something perverse about who and how that is being voted for. They are making fools of themselves. At least the men's 11 had a degree of corresponding to a point of reality. Here, it is pure fantasy in about half the positions. 

I think Steph Labbe calling them out on their biased shortlists probably cost her. She may not win anything by not kissing ass but it just makes her more of a hero. She laid down a master class in mental skills in a shoot-out and added a new chapter to the goalkeeping handbook. The French-league-champion-only-because-Ada-Hegerberg-was-injured sounds more deserving though. <= [if it wasn't obvious that was tongue in cheek]

Edited by _Vic_

Just saw the women's 11 and garbage isn't exaggerating. There are a couple there I wouldn't start on their club team and a few who weren't even recognized in their own leagues. And the three candidates for best player aren't even on it. I don't even know if the English language had the right word for this.