Worldwide women's news

Vic

This is a bit anecdotal but also interesting, about a member of the Spain u-17 WC winning team, Salma Paralluelo, who was the left side attacker or wing.

Although she is still 15 she competes with adults in athletics, she broke the Spain u-20 400 m record yesterday and qualified for the European indoor championship by making the minimum.. So she'll be the second youngest female athlete to ever compete at a European championship. 

6 hours ago, rkomar said:

Oh man, now there's a blast from the past.  I was in high school in Sudbury when the Pan Am junior games were held there, and Crooks won the gold in the 400m.  What made her infamous?  I can't remember much from way back then.

Ok that was 100.0% my ineptitude and completely the wrong word. It should have been famous, i.e.

https://canadasoccer.com/index.php?pid=7515&t=profile&

Most high school track meets now almost four decades later run around 0:59 to 1:01

7 hours ago, jordan said:

I was going to start a new thread or post to this one but it is locked.

What a saddening and frustrating read.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I was going to start a new thread or post to this one but is locked.

What a saddening and frustrating read.

I also came here to post about this, after searching for the guy and being led to the exact 2008 thread that you mention.

Very difficult to read - I'm hoping this gets some attention and some sort of inquiry occurs. Whats the likelihood of that though?

A 13 year old American girl who had previously committed to North Carolina has decided to turn pro. 

Moultrie’s agent, Spencer Wadsworth, declined to disclose the terms of the Nike deal, except to say that it was worth more financially than a four-year scholarship at a top university, which is generally valued at about $300,000.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/25/sports/olivia-moultrie-us-soccer.html?emc=edit_NN_p_20190226&nl=morning-briefing&nlid=6714265ion%3DwhatElse&section=whatElse&te=1

• 2 weeks later...

Another of the world's greatest female strikers. Excerpts from: 
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/mar/12/vivianne-miedema-world-cup-arsenal

Vivianne Miedema: ‘There’s a big difference playing with boys and with girls’
Vivianne Miedema in action during the Continental League Cup final against Manchester City

Her father and brother were both keen footballers, while her mother played hockey to a high level.

Miedema played alongside boys when she was young and perhaps did so for longer than many. “I think it has really benefited me,” she says. “I used to play at one of the highest levels of boys’ football too. I played against good boys, some of which are playing top-level football in Europe now, and that has really helped me. There’s a big difference between playing with boys and with girls and I would always advise girls to play with boys.”

[Both parents athletes and playing with boys... Hegerberg deja vu]

And if Miedema scores, do not expect wild celebrations: “I am happy when I score goals but I also think you need to show a bit of respect to the opponent. It depends on the goal but I’m not a big shouter or celebrater.”

Maybe with Sportsnet and TSN losing broadcast rights to EPL for the next 3 seasons, maybe they will cover some women's soccer?

(not holding breath)

ETA: I emailed DAZN late last year to see if they were planning on showing any Women's soccer and they said no. They do carry Pac-10 women's soccer though.

Edited by BreadBoy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Went to the 2nd leg of the Champions Leagues semis, Barça-Bayern. At the Mini Estadi, capacity 15000, some 12K and a bit came out, but it felt full (2 whole sections for Bayern fans had about 18 people). The stadium rocked, most were Barça fans and knew the standard cheers from the north end of Camp Nou, who sent a small supporter contingent. Lots of fathers with 8-10 year old daughters, and female Barça club members, but also lots of men, probably a majority of men in fact. They say that registration for girl's soccer was up 30% this year in Spain.

Well played, and tough match, with Barça edging them 1-0 to go to the final on a 2-0 overall, Mertens drawing a smart penalty. For me the key signing this year for the team is Hamaraoui, the French mid, she is an amazing player and makes the differerence amongst other talents, like Martens, Losada, Alexia Putellas another mid, in general a good side that is fairly balanced: but she got a second yellow, was sent off, and will miss the final vs. Lyon, her former side. So I think OL is the favourite, and without Hamaraoui, even more so. 

Reffing, this time from a Swiss official, still leaves a lot to be desired. Some very elemental things were missed, like deflected shots that should have been corners, out of bounds. In the end the German coach was also red-carded, going beserk over a minor sideline call. A lot of work there still.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

After all the focus on the recent UWCL matches and the high standards, a good segue to a couple of stories out of the Americas this week reminding us of another side of the women's game and how much work is still to be done:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/06/womens-coach-at-argentinian-fa-faces-sexual-harassment-allegations

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/03/fifa-bans-former-supervisor-as-part-of-sexual-abuse-investigation

Yazmeen Jamieson and Tiffany Cameron were born in the GTA. Cameron has a few CWNT caps. And Hubert Busby was born in Kingston, but not the one in Jamaica.

It's wonderful to see so many players from a small country like Jamaica playing all over the world. According to their press they have over 25 women playing with professional clubs around the world, with most in the 20-25 age bracket.

The Jamaican program really dipped in form over the past decade after their funding was cut, but this renewed look is going to spell trouble for their CONCACAF rivals.

Saw on Twitter how Girondins made Champions League for next season,  Vanessa Gilles plays for them, and a related story came up: top flight France is losing two teams, they are down to 10 teams for next season. 

I have no idea why they would not allow teams from a lower division to promote, but still: that really weakens the league, and limits chances for players in France. As it has likely been amongt the top 3-4 in the world on the basis of Lyon and PSG these years, that will hurt them. 

In comparison, England has 12 in WPL and 11 in the next tier, Germany has 12, Spain has 18. Less teams, higher overall level. More teams, more women playing pro, wider base of player development. 

What is it, 9 teams in the NWSL?