Worldwide women's news

Vic

On 1/14/2022 at 11:17 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

FCB Barcelona put tickets on sale yesterday for the CL Barcelona-Real Madrid quarter final match. The decision was made to move the match from the new Johan Cruyff stadium where they normally play, capacity 6000, to Camp Nou, which can sit just over 96,000.

Word today from the club is that 70,000 have been sold, to club members only. We each could pick up 4 maximum. I just got two, only availability is in third tier. 

The cost was 0, handling, 2.50 a ticket.

We're looking at a sellout. Match to be played a midweek in March.

March 30th - sold out already - in under a week (the men haven't sold a game out this season).

Almost certain to set the world record for a women's game.

This is just a dream.

Edited by _Vic_

Is this a one-off or a first step? Another sign that NWSL is frittering away its head start? Could it open also opportunities for Canadian players?

Mia Fishel, who was picked fifth in the 2022 NWSL College Draft by Orlando Pride and by her former college coach Amanda Cromwell, signed instead with Tigres. 

Fishel won Golden Balls at the 2020 Concacaf u20 Championship and the 2016 Concacaf u15 Championship. She was a finalist for 2020 and 2021 U.S. Soccer Young Female Player of the Year and scored at the 2018 u17 World Cup.

Why did she go with Tigres. No definitive answer but some say it was for better money. Video above says it was for more global attention and sold out stadiums.

NWSL's average attendance is higher than Liga MX Fem. But UANL averaged a league high 7,235 fans in the Apertura, which is above the NWSL (and Orlando) average. Liga MX playoffs also draw 30k+. A new stadium is set to open in 2025. It will be built by Populous who are also doing Milan's new Cathedral.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In addition to the Arnold Clark Cup matches on TSN, you can also see matches from two other tourneys during this international window.

TV5 will be carrying France's three matches in the Tournoi de France.

Wednesday Feb 16 1500 ET: FRA v FIN

Saturday Feb 19 1500 ET: FRA v BRA

Tuesday Feb 22 1500 ET: FRA v NED

https://www.fff.fr/article/6592-tournoi-de-france-le-programme-des-matches.html

One SheBelieves match is on ABC.

Sunday Feb 20 1500 ET: USA vs NZ

https://www.ussoccer.com/shebelieves/cup

Also, the Concacaf W Qualifiers are starting on Wednesday Feb 16th with 6 matches. Looks like OneSoccer will at least show 2 live on their main channel in between CCL matches. First one is Guatemala v USVI and then ES v Belize.

http://onesoccer.ca/schedule

Edited by red card

39 minutes ago, red card said:

One New Zealand player scored 3 own goals in 36 minutes vs the US yesterday. 

Poor kid.... it happens.... maybe not quite like that too often but sometimes things just go sideways. I once missed two penalties (first peno and the 2nd retake with a teammate missing on the first retake) to tie the match in extra time all at the death. 

• 4 weeks later...

Athletic had an article on Casey Stoney, manager of the new San Diego Wave. Previously headed Man United women, had 100+ caps with England along with being captain.

She had some juicy quotes - mostly about American female youth soccer:

“I’ve got two little girls and hell no would I want them to play in some of these environments? Not a chance. As much as there’s so many positives about the youth game here, there’s parts of it that absolutely shocked me.”

“I’ve been over and watched some of the tournaments. And the parents, half of them are so uneducated, they don’t even know what coaching is. They think it’s someone berating their child and screaming at them is good coaching.” 

Yet she’s simultaneously amazed by the level of participation, the hundreds of girls she sees at those youth tournaments, the way that very youth system and the college system above it seem to churn out insatiably driven players. (drive is something that isn't too often seen with Canadian women youth teams).

Americans just want black and white, she was told when she talked to those other coaches. Just tell them what to do. Stoney rejects that wholeheartedly. “No, they’ve been used to black and white,” she explains. “‘You do as I say, and you do as you’re told.’ That’s not how I do things.” (probably the big difference from being a hockey/baseball coach to a soccer coach in Canada)

She says she needs her players to be able to solve problems on their own, without having to look to the bench every time there’s an issue on the field. She needs them to trust themselves to make the right decision on their own, and for that, for some players, she’s having to unpick the fear mindset that’s been drilled into them.

Politely, she says that defensive organization in NWSL is “just a little bit non-existent,” so she thinks it’s an exciting place for the team to really develop. “

https://theathletic.com/3186910/2022/03/15/casey-stoneys-u-s-adaptation-with-san-diego-wave-is-underway-this-is-just-an-incredible-place/

Edited by red card

Sitting having morning coffee on a chilly and rainy day in Barcelona, three old timers, retired men, having their eggs and bacon talking football (Barça). What surprised me was how at one point they just shifted over to the women's team and spent 15 minutes discussing play, signings, who was injured. Not just about Alexia who's the media star, but going into new signings (Rolfo, Engen), then on Claudia Pina who's a young striker who was on loan last year, the coach. This is something I've never heard before, in decades of footie chat in cafes and on the street. 

I only intervened when they started talking about Kluivert's kid who they didn't know was at Nice, which we half follow waiting for our Justin, Smith. 

• 2 weeks later...

Heading out in a few minutes to be part of what could be the biggest crowd in the history of women's football. Camp Nou is sold out, so that's 96,000, but with off and on rain we may get no shows. 

Quarter finals of the CL, 1st leg was 1-3 at Real Madrid. 

Our PSG women play in Paris at 9pm

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Heading out in a few minutes to be part of what could be the biggest crowd in the history of women's football. Camp Nou is sold out, so that's 96,000, but with off and on rain we may get no shows. 

Quarter finals of the CL, 1st leg was 1-3 at Real Madrid. 

Our PSG women play in Paris at 9pm

91,553, great atmosphere, weather held up mostly. Younger crowd but not just kids, lots of 20-35 year olds. Barça got behind again, 1-2, then stormed back to win 5-2.

FCB1.thumb.jpg.1344e96b09b41f7814d1cfa1b464ed37.jpgFCB2.jpg.d99f66856e562ad8bed73ba1a687506f.jpg

4 minutes ago, red card said:

Apparently, another match was higher.

Noone lends any credit to that match. It's easy to check to not get miffed by hearsay. 

She's not even right about 1999, but if that's your source I'm happy for you. 

At Camp Nou we count the digital turnstile, not even ticket sales. 

We heard they'll repeat for the semis vs either Arsenal or Wolfsburg. I'd imagine they'd get half of today's, which is still good. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 2 weeks later...

June friendlies:

- Brazil will travel to Europe again to play Denmark and Sweden

- Mexico will host Peru × 2.

- New Zealand is going to Norway for a friendly

- Japan is going to Finland for a friendly

We ( Canada ) can logically exclude all those teams as options for our pre-WCQ home friendly.

We will likely play a European side that didn't qualify for the EUROs, an AFC team or a South American side that isn't Peru or Brazil.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

The CL semi final FC Barcelona-Wolfsburg broke the attendance record again, by a few hundred it seems: 91,648. It did look full, I could not go though.

BTW, the mentioned final at the Rose Bowl in 1999 drew just over 90,000.

FCB playing at the highest standard, basically destroyed Wolfsburg first half, then continued attacking but got hit on a counter in the 2nd, 5-1. Alexia with two. So will likely go to our third final, to be played in Turin.

On Sunday the Canadian women at PSG and Lyon go at each other in the other first leg of the Champions League semis, should be fairly balanced. First leg in Lyon at 4pm.

And then there were none. 

Another NWSL manager/GM suspended for misconduct. 

On the surface, it is surprising that of all the leagues, NWSL is a cesspool for predatory behaviour. But this quote from an Athletic journalist last year means a purge is needed: 

The NWSL as a concept is different from the NWSL as an institution. Women’s sports, traditionally, have been built by men and are also trying to use the structures of men’s sports, and I think we’re now finally seeing that that leads to problems in a major way.

I am not going to cite that douche, but the Rose Bowl women's final was 90,185 attendance. It's capacity is 90,888. 

Camp Nou capacity as we stand is 99,354, so you could argue that the record was broken with just over 90% attendance. Wembley, next largest stadium in Europe and final for the Euros this summer, is 90,000 capacity (they are playing the Euros in stadiums like MKDons and Brentford, so not expecting huge crowds.

• 4 weeks later...

Mexican league final leg 2 drew 40k, second highest to 51k in 2018.

More revenue boosters are coming for Mexican women's futbol. SUM's deal extension with FMF now includes launching a US tour for the women's side. 2 sponsors have signed up so far - Adidas and P&G. Men's tour has 8 sponsors.

As already seen in Europe, being an existing nation of football with a wide breadth of infrastructure and commercial interests is now moving over to support the women's game. The ignorance advantage that Canada has relied upon is slowly being eroded.

5 hours ago, red card said:

Mexican league final leg 2 drew 40k, second highest to 51k in 2018.

More revenue boosters are coming for Mexican women's futbol. SUM's deal extension with FMF now includes launching a US tour for the women's side. 2 sponsors have signed up so far - Adidas and P&G. Men's tour has 8 sponsors.

As already seen in Europe, being an existing nation of football with a wide breadth of infrastructure and commercial interests is now moving over to support the women's game. The ignorance advantage that Canada has relied upon is slowly being eroded.

The number of players we have at the grassroots and in the US college system will continue to give us some momentum but they are likely to overtake us in the medium-term.