POTW - Larin

tmcmurph

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/07/28/orlando-city-sc-rookie-sensation-cyle-larin-earning-plaudits-rookie-year-buz

His attitude is fantastic, incredibly humble and focused.. similar to other great Canadian athletes we've seen in other sports (Toews, Nash, Crosby).  The kid has had a ROUGH few weeks with Canada and then his red card... what does he do?  He bounces back with a goal in the USOC and a hat trick at Yankee Stadium on national TV.  

I was just thinking, Larin is really the first bonafide #1 blue chip prospect in MLS history no?  Usually the #1 pick is up for debate and often times they don't live up to the expectation, maybe Mo Edu is an exception.  

Larin was the consensus #1 from day one and instantly showed why when he turned pro, similar to other 1st overall picks in NA sports.

We couldn't ask for a better situation either for him with Mark Watson on the bench and Kaka helping him.   

Now Larin has succeeded in spite of MLS rules against Canadians because he is THAT good.  But, most top Canadian prospects can't do this... we really need Canadians as domestics in the long run, we can't expect to develop a Larin every year.  

Nope he really seems to be the special one. And still he'll get tougher times, all prospects do. Akindele is having rougher times than last season for instance. Maybe he won't score for a long stretch, maybe he'll get injured. Maybe not even this year but the next, when expectations are higher. 

But still, two of those goals Sunday were world class, that showed so much promise. I personally hope he won't be in MLS too long but get a chance at a midlevel European club, like in Belgium, Netherlands or lower level Spanish or English clubs to show what he is capable of, before going to a real high level of play.

If he was in the Toronto system he'd be toiling away in USL with Hamilton.  He wouldn't be playing over Giovinco and Altidore or he'd be playing very limited minutes.  I'm glad he went to Orlando.

2 more goals today to tie the MLS rookie record.  He's going to shatter that record the way he's playing.  I think he's also going to get noticed by one of the bigger European teams considering his age and strike rate.  Maybe he'll be the 3rd Canadian DP in a couple years.

Nope he really seems to be the special one. And still he'll get tougher times, all prospects do. Akindele is having rougher times than last season for instance. Maybe he won't score for a long stretch, maybe he'll get injured. Maybe not even this year but the next, when expectations are higher. 

But still, two of those goals Sunday were world class, that showed so much promise. I personally hope he won't be in MLS too long but get a chance at a midlevel European club, like in Belgium, Netherlands or lower level Spanish or English clubs to show what he is capable of, before going to a real high level of play.

Unless he is pursued by a top European club, he should not go to Europe. By leaving MLS and hoping for a team to play in Europe he will end up riding the bench. Belgium, Netherlands and lower Spanish and English leagues offer the same level of play that MLS offers and is no advantage to him. His best career direction is to succeed in MLS and if he achieves notable success there then European clubs will come knocking for him to play regular minutes.

Toronto FC must be absolutely kicking themselves for not picking this guy up - or hoping Hamilton will take that next step!?

TFC wouldn't have picked up Larin now, maybe they could have picked him 5 years ago instead of him going to Sigma, but that's the only thing they can be mad about. They were never getting Larin.

Unless he is pursued by a top European club, he should not go to Europe. By leaving MLS and hoping for a team to play in Europe he will end up riding the bench. Belgium, Netherlands and lower Spanish and English leagues offer the same level of play that MLS offers and is no advantage to him. His best career direction is to succeed in MLS and if he achieves notable success there then European clubs will come knocking for him to play regular minutes.

Exept he'd have some controle over his own destiny and not be delivered to MLS central management. Also, scouts from big clubs would actually pay attention.

That's rather unlikely. If Anderlecht for example comes calling, that club will get his signature 9 times out of 10. Sure, MLS might offer a similar level of play to the leagues you mentioned, but no where near the same level of wages. He's not going to forego the 1 000 000 Euros annually he would make with the club mentioned above for the 60000 US he's probably making here.

I recall Tim Vickery mentioning Larin's name as a player he had been impressed by in a World Football podcast after our game vs Colombia. While he is probably more known than many of us realize, if Larin keeps this up clubs in bigger leagues will certainly take notice. 

Whether MLS is the best place for him or not, the money in Europe will lure him for the reasons Macksam says.  If he keeps scoring like he has or even at a slower pace, he will likely get offers from Europe in the January transfer window.  My hope is not that he doesn't take it (as I think he will), but he heads to a side who needs a striker like him and he doesn't rot on the bench somewhere in the Premier League.  An Anderlecht or a Dutch side would be great as they tend to play the ball on the ground and he would likely get service which he needs.  Going to some of the mid to bottom level Premier League sides who play more kick and chase is probably not in his interest but they may open the cheque book for him and we will have to see whether he has the mentality to say no.  I think he does as he stayed an extra year in college and didn't go to Europe early so here is hoping he keeps his head.

It will be interesting to see how Europe values him. He's still just a 20 year old kid who has a lot of developing to do. He's having an incredible rookie year but he needs to keep developing. I think he's in a great situation with Orlando right now and I would hope he stays for at least another season before looking at Europe.

If I was Larin I would play a second full season in MLS before I thought about making the jump to Europe. He is still a first year pro and has a lot to learn. The sophmore slump is hard enough to avoid as it is, let alone joining a club like Anderlecht, Club brugge, Twente or AZ and dealing with all the on and off field adjustments.

The other thing is that although the level of play is similiar, he gets to learn from someone like Kaka. He can't do that in Belgium or Holland. They are leagues of up and comers and I want Larin to really be prepared and come in as a sombody and not as another young talented prospect and get lost in the shuffle.

That's rather unlikely. If Anderlecht for example comes calling, that club will get his signature 9 times out of 10. Sure, MLS might offer a similar level of play to the leagues you mentioned, but no where near the same level of wages. He's not going to forego the 1 000 000 Euros annually he would make with the club mentioned above for the 60000 US he's probably making here.

Spot on.

You know, it's said all good things come from hard work and planning but GREAT things just sort of happen all at once. 

Don't be a-feard.  Fortune favours the bold.  Be brave and get in there or you may no have another chance!  Oh, and make the money whilst you can because there's no telling what tomorrow brings.

He is already on the radar, why would anyone think his agent is not doing his job? Nobody really thinks his agent has not already picked up the phone a few times to speak to interested European clubs.

Just so I understand, what is Larin's contract length right now? If someone wanted him, would they have to pay a transfer after his season or not?

Can Orlando do what WCs stupidly did not with Camilo and offer him unilaterally a better, richer contract for next season? 

I think it is the way to go with a striker like him, since anyone coming buying a young striker like him will have a couple million to offer in transfer fees. So offer Larin 350 or 400 for three years, if he keeps on pace they'll sell him for 2.5 million in a year.

Not surprising. Remember, he could have probably left UConn after his freshman season and been a top draft pick but went for one more. Sigma, if I'm not mistaken, still advise him and knowing them would take a measured approach instead of buying into any hype. Following up a strong rookie year would be the mark of true talent and likely the path he's on and if Orlando remain steady and the coaching good, it is a good place for him to develop for another year or two. Regarding the clubs in Europe he might be linked with - some of these teams already will be well aware of who Larin is from the touring the academy would have done. So clubs in the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain and Germany likely knew him prior to this year and a relationship already in place with Sigma - so his best interest would still be in mind. I would be surprised if his next move wouldn't be one that is the right fit and logical next step in his career.

Spot on.

You know, it's said all good things come from hard work and planning but GREAT things just sort of happen all at once.

Don't be a-feard. Fortune favours the bold. Be brave and get in there or you may no have another chance! Oh, and make the money whilst you can because there's no telling what tomorrow brings.

No doubt.

Let's say worse comes to worse and he does flame out in Europe, he should be able to use his past MLS success as leverage for a lucrative multi million dollar DP contract Altidore style, lol. No harm, no foul.

Granted, Altidore bounced around a few places and did well at AZ at the very least....but that says more about the declining state of Dutch football more than anything else though.

Archived