WWC 2015 - Round of 16 - June 21 - Canada vs. Switzerland [R]

Vic

Credit for the win, but I don't see how we beat a top side when we eventually face one. Luckily for Canada, the road to the semi finals doesn't go through any strong programs, I hope we don't hear "mission accomplished" if we get smashed when we finally meet a strong program at some point.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not overly critical of the team but having seen Germany and France in person, they seem to be on a different level to us.  I always though that anything after the QFs would be a bonus with the talent level we have; and I think Herdman has probably gotten more out of this side than any of our past managers would have.  I think we can beat England or Norway (although I think the Norwegians will be a tougher ask than the English).

I watched the match on a Spanish-language broadcast with Argentine commentators who know nothing about the background of the teams or the players, and throughout they repeated it was obvious that there were big communication problems with the Canadian team and that the Canadian players were confused about their roles both on attack and defence in comparison to the Swiss. Although we could dismiss them as macho and smug, at least it was an impartial comparison of the two teams and their players without other baggage .

I am the first to admit that much of my comments are coloured by my personal preferences as to players and coaches, and by what has happened in the past.

I also agree that we should be positive, and, given the uneven performance of the other teams and the great potential in ours, we can win this thing. One good positive is that the Swiss were very rough, and our players reacted cooly to this, which bodes well. My comments were my instant reactions as the match unfolded and the immediate end, and I could be wrong.

Schimdt seemed to be placed for much of the match in a sort of holding midfield role, different from what I saw her in so far. This may be why she has had a sub-par match.  I have not seen women's matches before this tournament for several years, so I cannot say if this was a factor or not. 

End of 1st half I thought whoever wins it will deserve it. We combined better, sometimes very well, but were a bit stretched in the attacking third. The Swiss had less ball and less play but once behind our mids ran at us and looked threatening.

2nd half we did better, deserved the goal, held on very well. The Swiss had one really good chance on that cross (from Bachman)  that McLeod saved well coming across to the player far post. Other than that, we sweated but not that much. 

So a very professional win. Three clean sheets and best defence in the WC so far. In most positions on the field a Canadian clearly won their match-up, perhaps we are a bit weaker in the defensive middle so that was the only part of the field we lost, only because they could get through it to Bachman. Possession was 50-50 in a match we had the lead in for 35 minutes. 

Some good tactics from Herdman. After the goal Sinclar settled back to help defend and was kind of invisible, but working hard. Filigno was a good addition pressuring their backs, letting us remove a striker, and looked for the pass. Smart to take Lawrence off especially, she was lagging. Kyle for experience late. 

Shocked and disappointed by the criticisms of our play here, frankly some of you are deluded if you think that was a problem. I watch my football at Camp Nou so no one can say my standards are low. We played very well at times, no player was ever seriously out of position, we played as a team, communicating on the field too; and players being criticized ended up being crucial, like Sinclair. Fitness was good. Watch Brazil-Australia, neither of them played better than we did today, both were notably worse. 

McLead still holds the ball incredibly long after picking it up, there were some 12-13 second kicks there, when the rule says 6 after you have settled. Six. We got creamed on that rule once, let's not do it again. Someone get to McLeod and convince her that if she gets called again, she will be to blame.

++1 to every single bit of that.  That's exactly the game I saw.

I was in a room full of people and after the goal I jumped up and screamed "I friggin love that woman!"

Petty criticism because it wasn't by much, but I think we might have waited a bit long with the subs.

Soccer Survivor:

1. Germany - (QTR) play France

2. USA - (16) play Colombia

3. France - (QTR) play Germany

4. Japan - (16) play #12 Netherlands

5. Sweden - ELIMINATED

6. England - (16) play #11 Norway

7. Brazil - ELIMINATED

8. North Korea - SUSPENDED

8. Canada - (QTR) play England/Norway

10. Australia - (QTR) play Japan/Netherlands

11. Norway - (16) play #6 England

12. Netherlands - (16) play #4 Japan

Two more will pack out in the next 48 hours.  Five elimination games in and no matches extended or shoot-out's.  Will we see it tomorrow?  Will #4 & 6 cruise or can #11 & 12 pull a stunner?

Regarding the trash talking, I read a good article the other day about a lot of the American's being the type of people who actually feed off it.  It maybe work in Colombia but it's not a good idea against the USA.

I also read another good one written by an American about the Scotts company who were quoted by Abby Wambach (without any published details or terms) as saying they offered to replace all the turf with grass.  What they didn't mention was they stopped producing and selling the product two years ago, and the author also suggested it likely Wambach was receiving a spokesperson's fee.

According to today's press conference by Colombia, it seems the U.S. players have said some very nasty things about the Colombian girls about something that happened in 2012.  Does anyone know what they said?

Well , I checked a few Colombian papers who have not covered this "story". It was a porvocative story started by USA Today asking a stupid provocative question to Lady Andrade who was suspended in a 2012 match for punching Wambac. I just think Andrade was referring to the general US woman's clear superior attitude, which is just part of US sports culture, not any specific comments made by the US players towards Colombia. Probably most women players dislike the US attitude, and how it is clearly shown on the field, and I do not blame them. I always cheer against the US women.  

I can understand some of the negativity after the first half, but on the balance of play this was a deserved 1-0 win which showed off a good deal of organized defending, individual errors mostly from Sesselman notwithstanding. This is the kind of match one ought to expect between two relatively evenly-matched teams playing under a great deal of pressure and in the end Canada showed they had a bit more quality than the Swiss.

In the quarterfinals of a World Cup. Can we at least pretend to enjoy it?

Oh you want to be soccer fans,these girls are beyond amazing,so committed and foremost so Canadian and for those that get a thrill out of criticizing soccer,these girls are outdoing the boys.We are watching history the girls way and having been a very big girls soccer promoter ,this for the sake of Canadian soccer ,this is beyond fantastic.Thanks girls or ladies ,your commitment is so surreal and so befitting Canada.The next game will again bring out that very precious being Canadian feeling.And for those that may have missed my postings for a while,or those that remember me you may also recall that in order to promote soccer and get that media attention we have to go through the girls,which is happening.

I also read another good one written by an American about the Scotts company who were quoted by Abby Wambach (without any published details or terms) as saying they offered to replace all the turf with grass.  What they didn't mention was they stopped producing and selling the product two years ago, and the author also suggested it likely Wambach was receiving a spokesperson's fee.

Did they also say that Scott's would maintain it for the CFL teams in the future or did the stadium owners (cities and universities) have to pay to revert back to artificial turf.  Who was gonna pay for that?

So a very professional win. Three clean sheets and best defence in the WC so far. In most positions on the field a Canadian clearly won their match-up, perhaps we are a bit weaker in the defensive middle so that was the only part of the field we lost, only because they could get through it to Bachman. Possession was 50-50 in a match we had the lead in for 35 minutes. 

McLead still holds the ball incredibly long after picking it up, there were some 12-13 second kicks there, when the rule says 6 after you have settled. Six. We got creamed on that rule once, let's not do it again. Someone get to McLeod and convince her that if she gets called again, she will be to blame.

Totally agree with Jeffrey on this one, including McLeod (it's like she didn't learn her lesson)  I think some people are equating us with not being particularly good with being bad.  We have been neither good nor bad so far (offensively speaking)

To me only two things can happen.  One we can get back to playing up to our potential like we did vs England or we just never get on track as we have so far.  We're doing just enough to move on and sometimes luck and circumstances dictate who will take home the gold.

I was in a room full of people and after the goal I jumped up and screamed "I friggin love that woman!"

Me too, because before this tournament began I predicted her and Schmidt as players to watch and Belanger has been fantastic.  I said that because of her performance in Brazil years ago, not intimidated and all guns blazing.

My only criticism is that they often failed to make the obvious pass in the attacking third and instead dribbled the ball too long, often losing it to Switzerland's defenders/mids.  When a player makes a run to open space, get them the ball (much like that Sinclair/Schmidt combo that almost led to Foligno's goal).

Other than that, a win is a win.  Both teams had only a couple of good chances to score and Canada capitalized on one of theirs.

Did they also say that Scott's would maintain it for the CFL teams in the future or did the stadium owners (cities and universities) have to pay to revert back to artificial turf.  Who was gonna pay for that?

Not to mention who was going to pay for the installation and upkeep of all the grass training facilities.

One of the legacy bits is that all the turf training facilities will be available for public use after the games are gone. If it were grass training pitches they wouldn't be maintained because of cost and they wouldn't be good for community use.

I agree on Sess, she looked out of place last night, constantly lunging in for tackles.  Not her usual style.

I saw Sinc and Schmidt link up for some good play later in the game, one interchange nearly led to a good chance for Filigno...  I think they were better connected once the subs were made.

Belanger was a beast for the full pitch.  As much as I like Lawrence, I thought Belanger was WOTM.

Half the time when a Canadian player went on a great run and penetrated deep into the Swiss half, there was nobody anywhere near the far post to cross it to.

Yup, agree 100% this happened too much over the course of the game. If this had been Germany or the USA, we would have paid dearly for all the mistakes. Someone else mentioned it so I will add to it: Tancredi and Sinclair are simply not up to snuff any more. Sinclair has such a heavy foot it is painful to watch. She was great setting up the goal but was horrible when she attempted to shoot herself (which was not often). Tancredi, what can i say that hasn't already been said: she looks like both her legs are encased in cement. We have been very, very lucky to play teams that are not that good. Once we get eliminated(sorry but I don't see us progressing much further), Herdman will have to look at how to phase Sinclair out of the program and cut Tancredi out completely..

I thought the team looked pretty good. The standard of play in this tournament has been really low overall, and Canada look as good as anyone outside of Germany does. That China win in the first game actually looks pretty good in retrospect given how strong that team has been.

Archived