WWC 2015 - Round of 16 - June 21 - Canada vs. Switzerland [R]

Vic

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was watching the game with soccer fans who dont follow the womens national team. Their direct quote "that blonde in defence is really good looking but shes playing terrible".

Hopefully she finds her legs for the quarters.

She was almost 30 when she made her Canadian debut and played every game in the Olympics.  Then there was torn ACL playing for us last year and the tough rehab and long painful recovery.  She's a warrior and I love her spirit.

a-Sesselmannaction.jpg

Oh and this washed up Sinclair business, when she was Fifa World player podium material two summers ago (only wasn't because FIFA boycotted her after her reffing complaints). 

You prefer Sinclair scoring a hat trick and us losing, or her being an experienced sacrificed team player and we winning? Just asking. 

I think she is still going to surprise us...

She was almost 30 when she made her Canadian debut and played every game in the Olympics. Then there was torn ACL playing for us last year and the tough rehab and long painful recovery. She's a warrior and I love her spirit.

As do I.

I do miss her contributions at LB going forward - I thought Josee Belanger looked similar coming out of the RB - but I accept that Allysha Chapman has earned that spot, so I'm glad Lauren is still able to contribute.

I remember discussing the Olympic bronze game here, and noting that the change in tenor of the game, and specifically the attack that resulted in Matheson's goal, started with the sub that moved Lauren from CB to the LB position she had been in for most of the tournament. She was the one who crossed into Sophie... Most replays don't go far enough back for people to see that.

(Edited to swap left and right)

Re. Sinclair. She doesn't seem the player she used to be who could create something out of nothing or beat defenders and the shots she does take haven't been dangerous. I'm not saying there's anyone better for the position, but the team has to compensate somehow for the production she used to provide. I wonder if it might be worthwhile having her come in a as a super-sub after the opposition defense has been tired out by someone with some pace. Also, in her defense, she hasn't been given a lot of good service.

How many friggin times have they shown that girls-subbing-into-the-men's-game video-game Coke commercial?  It's like listening to Tina Turner.  The first couple times it's great.  Real high energy rollicking tunes.  Ride the wave.  The next couple are cool, then it's like starting to get annoying until finally it's like somebody please turn that off before we all go insane.  Remember this song?  Someone asked the guy why he always wore that hat down over his eyes.  He said because he was so sick of the song and was worried someone would see it.

Every journalist and talking head in the country has pumped her up to be Lionel Messi.  That's a pretty heavy load.

• 3 weeks later...

How many friggin times have they shown that girls-subbing-into-the-men's-game video-game Coke commercial?  It's like listening to Tina Turner.  The first couple times it's great.  Real high energy rollicking tunes.  Ride the wave.  The next couple are cool, then it's like starting to get annoying until finally it's like somebody please turn that off before we all go insane.  Remember this song?  Someone asked the guy why he always wore that hat down over his eyes.  He said because he was so sick of the song and was worried someone would see it.

Every journalist and talking head in the country has pumped her up to be Lionel Messi.  That's a pretty heavy load.

I don't mind the commercial as much as some do, but I wish that they would play more of those weightlifting commercials from Sinclair, Tancredi, Moscato, etc., because those were empowering.

Messi?  Is it because of those dribbling skills?  LOL...

Archived