WWC 2015 - Round of 16 - June 21 - Canada vs. Switzerland [R]

Vic

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really I don't know what you gujys are smoking. I have seen at least 5 men's World Cups where the winner or if not a finalist played well below their potential the whole tournament. And a few plainly boring and forgettable men's WCs. Argentina last WC, they were a team that was totally unmemorable, and were unlucky not to go ahead in the final even then, at about 60% their game. Spain when they won played below their capacity in all but one match, vs. Chile. The striking was mostly terrible. As mentioned above brilliantly by Nolando, Greece when they won the Eurocup in Portugal, grinding it out all the way. 

Hacking aimlessly at Sesselman, when there was not one serious error on her part the whole game, is plain childish. Not one of their chances even came from one of her faux pas. And yes, she trips over the ball a couple times a game, Sinclair is a bit lead-footed and not leading at all on the field. But complaining about Schmidt, at times absolutely amazing, or Chapman taking long throw ins, come on guys that is plain not serious.

Let me remind you if you want to watch good football you have La Liga, it's on tv, there are a couple good games a weekend, and for the offseason you can watch reruns. When we lost 4-3 to the US at the Olympics, that was so exciting, so great, but we got scored on 4 times, and not even the last was the ref's fault, it was ours for being Canada's darling and playing garbage defensively. And IMO we did not deserve the bronze either. So a pock on those models you are holding up as the way Canada can or should play.

If you look how much time England had on the ball 2nd half, how slow their passing was anyways, how clumsy they looked for a lot of the play, how easy it was to run through their midfield, I'd have to say that yes, only Germany, France, US, Japan are clearly better quality than we are in this tournament.

And remember, any top level u-16 boys team can beat any of these sides easily, so if you really want quality footie watch those guys and ignore the girls.

Hacking sessleman isnt childish. Shes not up to the task. She isnt the same player she was before her knee injury. You dont miss 13 months due to a knee injury and come back 2 months before the world cup and expect to be at your best. Unfortunately sometimes that happens with serious knee injuries. When numerous ppl see it, its happening. You said it yourself, she trips up with no pressure a couple times a game. Sinclair is past her prime with a heavy touch but she is still one of the best players on the team.

We all want canada to win and advance as far as they can. Just pointing out where things need to imrpove in the future. The womens development has stalled in the lat 4 years. Numerous soccer columnists in canada have pointed this out.

We need to start producing top quality players like sinclair every cycle. The rest of the world is catching up in womens soccer so we must continually improve to be top 10 and strive to be at the level of germany.

Yeah, we may have only scored three goals in four games, but we have allowed only _one_ goal against.  The team should be getting more credit for the latter.  It's pretty astonishing if I let that total sink in; I didn't think we'd be that effective defensively.

It is worrisome that we have only scored 3 goals, but I am surprised the media is not talking about Japan only scoring 4 goals in a ridiculously easy group. I am really interested to watch the game against the Netherlands tonight.

So far so good I think. Tancredi at least crocked the keeper which is about as much as can be expected and Sinclair's pass to Belanger was lovely, if about her only contribution. I did enjoy the Sinclair-Schmidt passing sequence near the end though. I think they're playing better and should be a good match for England. Also, all of the teams I've seen (I haven't seen Germany or Japan yet) are beatable with only France clearly a higher class but even they can have a bad game as shown against Columbia..so you never know. 

Please, no more mentions of Greece's Euro win. We don't play anywhere near that sort of horrible anti-soccer...if we did, Canada or not, I couldn't support them.

Hacking aimlessly at Sesselman, when there was not one serious error on her part the whole game, is plain childish. Not one of their chances even came from one of her faux pas. And yes, she trips over the ball a couple times a game, 

I'm not sure I can agree with this - her errors in this particular game were covered by our best player, so you can't say her errors had no effect.  We are witnessing the emergence of a world class talent in KB, but we don't want her to burn out too quickly!

When Sess is in a position that requires her to lunge into a tackle, it means she's out of position.  This was the first game I've seen her have to throw herself around like that.  I hope she's more settled on Saturday.

I don't want to slate any of our players while we are still in it as there is a chance that some of them read this and we need confidence if we are going to keep this train on the tracks.

Oh my god they should not be anywhere near any of us. If you're a women's national team player, the World Cup is on, and you're reading this, what are you doing? Get out! Click the big X!

[ 1 ] I think posters should feel free to "slate" players at any time (as long as your being fair). This is an anonymous comments board. It's basically an unfiltered free-for-all where anything just short of hate-speech can be posted. Remarks can range from stupid and ignorant at one end to intelligent and knowledgeable at the other. It's all here: true or false, right or wrong, sympathetic or mean. My advice to players who read comments boards is to develop a thick skin and realize that nothing on a  board shoud be immediately taken as factual. In general, comments that are anonymous should be viewed unseriously OR perhaps taken as a starting point for further, deeper research.

[ 2 ] Though Lauren Sesselmann has been shaky overall , she has been part of three clean sheets.  Against the Netherlands, Carmelina Moscato looked composed in the boxes, but her lack of pace was exposed in the mid-field which in part lead to the Netherlands tying goal. Given all this, does Emily Zurrer deserve a shot at  starting centerback? My guess is that John Herdman is going to stay with Sesselmann.

Nobody is encouraging individual posters to be critical of players for the sake of being critical. But self-censoring oneself because their afraid of what players might think defeats the purpose of a comments board. If one  has a genuine opinion about something then express it. When Lauren  Sesselmann made some shocking errors during  game play  this board lit up with immediate criticism for her. These posters didn't self censor themselves to avoid being impolite, or out of fear of what she  might think. They wanted to have that conversation about Sesselmann's poor play. And neither did the moderators censor or delete  any these remarks because they were afraid what the  player might think. Personally, I am appreciative of posters who stay away from mean-spiritedness but overall I believe  a comments board is about free speech. As long as  comments are on topic  (Canadian women soccer) and stay away from hate then any  particular comment is acceptable. In addition there are moderators to protect the board (at least there should be) from bigotry, racism, sexism, misogyny, and homophobia.

Of course, slag away. What I am saying is that sometimes the muckraking is a bit much and, like all good puttering about in the muck, unnecessarily messy. Or in other words, it has more to do with what the raker has up his or her butt than the mud itself.

I don't think any objective observer of Canada would see Sesselman as an obvious weak link, no rival team has picked on her to expose her successfully, and no commentator on Eurosport or Spanish Teledeporte has so much as mentioned anything. And no, totally false, Buchanan is not spending her day covering her butt. Buchanan is also rash and gets exposed and others have to cover for her. The team covers well, they play like a team.

No objective viewer is saying oh how dissappointing Sinclair either. The team is solid, delivers terribly crunching tackles when refs let us, and no rival wants us, not only because we are playing at home. They don't want us because we kick butt and are hard-assed and fiercely competitive.

I am not complaining about free speech, I am complaining about what I see as objectively mistaken views on our play. 

Sorry, I'm totally objective :) and Sesselman is committing all sorts of unforced errors in dangerous places. I've no axe to grind with her, I think she's playing well below her previous standards from what I remember seeing. She's out of form, probably as a result of her layout from injury, it happens. I thought Moscato acquitted herself well and I felt much more comfortable with her in that position. Certainly there have been plenty of commentators pointing out that Sesselman hasn't been doing very well.

There's no doubt Sinclair is nothing as effective as when she was younger. It's simply the way it is.

I really don't know what game you are watching. I feel like the critisism of a lot of the players has been over the top and doesn't really solve anything but honestly, Sesselmann has been a step behind everyone else. I'm not sure if it is because of the injury or what but she has made some absolutely shocking plays. Even against Switzerland which was one of her better games she had about 5 errors which most likely would have been in the back of the net against a stronger team. Her passes have been extremely light or off target, she misses a few key tackles, she decides to shield the ball at inopportune times, her decision making in general is just really poor. Having said all that I will support her, a lot of these players are not stuck in a professional environment day in day out and it's very obvious their work ethic is incredible. What they lack in talent they make up for in sheer determination! Allez les rouges!

Thank you, Vic. :D

p.s.  When I made my pilgrimage to Portland, Sinclair scored a treble.  Sitting in Row 1 behind Boston's net, the 18-yard box was a showcase for Morgan's pace, soft feet, and overall quality.  Sincy matched with Morgan enflames strikes.

I don't think any objective observer of Canada would see Sesselman as an obvious weak link, no rival team has picked on her to expose her successfully, and no commentator on Eurosport or Spanish Teledeporte has so much as mentioned anything. And no, totally false, Buchanan is not spending her day covering her butt. Buchanan is also rash and gets exposed and others have to cover for her. The team covers well, they play like a team.

I guess we'll have to part ways on this, then.  In my eyes, for this game, Lauren was not her usual steady self.  I don't think any rival team has picked her as a weak link because for the round robin she was much more solid.

I'm of the opinion that her skill set would be better used in the LB position, but Allysha Chapman has claimed that spot as her own, and Lauren is being the good soldier.  I'd still put her in the starting lineup, but I hope she shows her more steady form on Saturday.

Archived