Where do you think Dwayne De Rosario will end up?

Alberto7

I think he will go ta another MLS team as a sub but I am not sure. Does anyone think he would play for Ottawa or Edmonton in the NASL?

I can't see him ever playing in NASL.  Besides, what would Floro say? 

I think he would go to Europe if MLS wasn't there but I believe MLS will be there.

What would be REALLY cool though is if Dwayne signed in Costa Rica or Honduras specifically to prep for WCQ.

Hard to say if he would consider NASL such a big pride drop when the alternative is sitting on the bench in MLS and getting the occasional 10 or 20 minute appearance before retiring at the end of the season if not being cut beforehand. In NASL he could probably be a starter and the big name on a team and extend his career for another couple of years. There are also some far bigger names than him playing out their last years in NASL. I doubt he would get very much interest in Europe at this stage in his career with no European success in his past unless he is willing to go on a low salary to some league at a similar playing level to NASL. I also think Floro would be perfectly fine with him playing 90 minutes and scoring regularly at the NASL level as opposed to sitting on the bench in MLS. Ottawa with its big stadium to fill might be a good fit for him as they could market him and also use him to help develop their young players. It might be worth it for them to pay him as much or slightly more than he would get as an MLS player.

Hard to say if he would consider NASL such a big pride drop when the alternative is sitting on the bench in MLS and getting the occasional 10 or 20 minute appearance before retiring at the end of the season if not being cut beforehand. In NASL he could probably be a starter and the big name on a team and extend his career for another couple of years. There are also some far bigger names than him playing out their last years in NASL. I doubt he would get very much interest in Europe at this stage in his career with no European success in his past unless he is willing to go on a low salary to some league at a similar playing level to NASL. I also think Floro would be perfectly fine with him playing 90 minutes and scoring regularly at the NASL level as opposed to sitting on the bench in MLS. Ottawa with its big stadium to fill might be a good fit for him as they could market him and also use him to help develop their young players. It might be worth it for them to pay him as much or slightly more than he would get as an MLS player.

I was thinking this as well. He would be a superstar in NASL and get to play a lot. I really don't think he will because, as you say, it is a pride thing. I also see him playing as a sub with another MLS team. Too bad as he would have a great influence on the young players in either Edmonton or Ottawa. In MLS he will just be a veteran player who plays 1 game out of 2 as a late substitution. We can forget Europe at his age.

Edited by Alberto7

He'll hang around Toronto making cameo appearances with amateur clubs and providing media quotes about moves he's turned down and the impending rise of his non-soccer projects and giving random Rogers tv commentary while musing about starting his own academy.  Like if Rick Titus and Julian DeGuzman had a baby.

Edited by Marc

He'll hang around Toronto making cameo appearances with amateur clubs and providing media quotes about moves he's turned down and the impending rise of his non-soccer projects and giving random Rogers tv commentary while musing about starting his own academy.  Like if Rick Titus and Julian DeGuzman had a baby.

LMFAO

Central America would be amazing.  But realistically, I think he'll be unattached for a while and retire at the Gold Cup along with Bernier and maybe even Julian.

I do not want to see Bernier at the GC. Or anymore. He was horrendous during the last two friendlies and always seems disinterested when playing for Canada. He's also 35.

Chicago or San Jose  - agreed!   No NASL.  Would be nice if he set himself up as Assistant Coach for when he retires. 

third option might be Orlando city with Marc Watson!  Another team where experience could be useful.

I wonder whether we should start this same thread for DeGuzman (aka, the original overpaid DP at TFC)

Plus ca change...

I don't think he would be a good fit for Ottawa; nostalgia for his best years might work well for the Voyageurs but I don't think people outside of the 'soccer community' really care too much about his twilight. I'm sorry to be so blunt - he has given a good effort to Canada and done well in the MLS - but I would rather see younger Canadians getting field time at the Fury and I am skeptical about his ability to be a positive influence. One of my most disappointing moments was to hear Canadians supporters demand for his presence in Toronto in the match against Jamaica over the younger guys on the field who were playing well. I don't want to bring that to Ottawa but I also don't think it would have the same 'impact' that fans in Toronto believe it would.

I don't see him ending up with any of the three Canadian MLS clubs and I have a hard time imagining an American team will want to burn an import spot on him.  Europe isn't an option like it was for Dunfield, who has an EU passport and a track record across the pond.  My guess is he will end up with one of the bigger spending NASL clubs like San Antonio or Minnesota.  San Antonio was able to convince former MLS DP Hassli to play for them.  

Jason

DeRo is going to play until his legs give and it will be in MLS.

I don't think he is at that point yet. I expect him to resign with MLS yet again, hopefully with Toronto, and play a full season.

Wouldn't surprise me either if he surpasses his numbers from last season. I believe last season was an outlier, not a trend. I watched a lot of games he featured in and he was snake-bitten and could have potted 4 or 5 goals, which wouldn't have been bad considering the few opportunities Nelsen gave him. The year before in DC he was actually the leading scorer in all competitons for the club. It was in single digits of course but DC were the "Impact" of the league that season, so that's understandable. The season before that he was league MVP and golden boot winner.