January 2015 Transfer Talk

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd prefer he goes to West Ham United. His comfort level will be much higher in London given his previous training stints and the fact he speaks English. On the outside chance Atiba lands there (more reports coming out yesterday), that will help him settle even further.

Regarding Hagglund versus Henry, it is clear who has more upside (no disrespect to anyone that rates Hagglund over Henry). Yes, madmonte is right that Henry is still very raw, and yes there is room for improvement with his decision making, but the man is a ball playing Centre Back. For all his athleticism on the defensive end, we often over look his confidence on the ball (at least at the MLS level and international matches he has featured in).

Conversely, Hagglund doesn't look nearly as comfortable with the ball at his feet. Henry on the other hand has the technical ability to settle the ball and play it out of the back. Only Jakovic and maybe Edgar are better at this in our NT pool. Obviously the EPL is a cut above the MLS, so it remains to be seen whether or not he takes a while to adjust to the pace and quality of the game, but my gut feeling says that he'll rise to the occasion if given the chance!

• 2 weeks later...

If they sign Hutchinson, that will be as many Canadians on senior EPL rosters as Americans (and more than Mexicans). Crazy.

I don't think Mexicans care enough to play in EPL (they tend to stick home or play in Spain). 

Also, most USMNT players prefer to play in Germany or MLS.  It has nothing to do with their quality, but more do with their comfort level.   

I don't think Mexicans care enough to play in EPL (they tend to stick home or play in Spain). 

Also, most USMNT players prefer to play in Germany or MLS.  It has nothing to do with their quality, but more do with their comfort level.   

Much like the Mexicans the "Americans" prefer to stay at home too

For all his athleticism on the defensive end, we often over look his confidence on the ball (at least at the MLS level and international matches he has featured in).

I don't find his passing out of the back that consistent.  So I guess I'm just one of those who must often overlook that attribute in his game.

Also, most USMNT players prefer to play in Germany or MLS. It has nothing to do with their quality, but more do with their comfort level.

That is because they are in fact Germans by and large.

Borjan is apparetly interested by a lot of clubs in Bulgaria. Apparently, he was impressive in a game against Botev Plovdiv and I've seen interest from CSKA Sofia, Litex Lovech and Levski Sofia. Even Ludogorets is open to welcome him back.

They do think that Borjan is asking for too much money if he would want to go to Litex.

Henry has been officially announced. Article says he will go straight to the first team. 

Henry goes straight into Big Sam's first-team squad, and the manager is hopeful that the Brampton, Ontario-born player can force his way onto the pitch before the current season is out.

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20150103/hammers-sign-henry_2236884_4395213

I don't find his passing out of the back that consistent.  So I guess I'm just one of those who must often overlook that attribute in his game.

I agree his consistency while executing this must improve, and I believe it will. That being said, his technique is good and he doesn't shy away from playing the ball out of the back properly. So to me, there is a stark difference between him and Attakora or Hainualt, because he looks comfortable with the ball and doesn't shy away from playing it on the deck. He is much more akin to Jakovic in this regard. Being 21, the consistency will come and I take comfort in the fact that he has the technique and confidence to play the right way. 

You and I are watching a different Doneil Henry then.

Surely West Ham see the same Henry that I do, because as an EPL club, there is no way they would sign a player, even at 21, that was a 'clear it in to row z' defender.

That is not to say he doesn't have his moments, but that sounds like a description of Attakora rather than Henry. There is a difference between "not always executing your passing" and "not having proper technique to execute". 

Funny thing is, back in the days of wild "Nana to Europe" speculation, he never got any flack for that deficiency in his game. Now we have a guy (Henry) who has Attakora-like athleticism, but can ACTUALLY play football. For some reason though, Henry gets much more flack for a perceived lack of technical ability than Nana ever got at that age.

The proof is in the pudding though. Henry just signed with West Ham. Nana made no impact in Finland at a similar age, and now suits up for unattached FC.   

Funny thing is, back in the days of wild "Nana to Europe" speculation, he never got any flack for that deficiency in his game.

Uhm, yours truly gave him plenty of flack for this, and was roundly and soundly condemned for it on this forum. That aside, I agree with you in part on Henry. His passing from the back is some times terrible, and led to a few goals and chances, but the defenders struggled to link up with the midfield all season at Toronto, so other than trying to force a few passes this isn't unique to Henry. Nana, on the other hand, seemed to have trouble kicking the ball unless it was in the air, and destined for the bleachers.

I agree his consistency while executing this must improve, and I believe it will. That being said, his technique is good and he doesn't shy away from playing the ball out of the back properly. So to me, there is a stark difference between him and Attakora or Hainualt, because he looks comfortable with the ball and doesn't shy away from playing it on the deck. He is much more akin to Jakovic in this regard. Being 21, the consistency will come and I take comfort in the fact that he has the technique and confidence to play the right way. 

When I've watched him make mistakes (either in possession or defending), they seem to occur when he's pressing to make a key or big play (i.e. diving in on a challenge instead of using his athleticism/speed and angles to shepherd an attacker out of a danger zone or forcing a pass).  On the ball, he just needs to make the high percentage play, and yet sometimes in those cases the right way is row z or route one in the direction of Andy Carroll.  Fair enough.  I think his new coaching staff is going to be more concerned with avoiding those mistakes which I've described.

Archived