January 2015 Transfer Talk

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And yet some supporters thought he wasn't good enough for TFC... Here's hoping the work permit ruling comes up in his favour.

Many supporting of any sports team will go with the sceptical view of a player because this is the easier way to be right. 80% of the time they will be right.

West Ham hasn't signed the player yet. I'm sure it's a signing is depending on getting a work permit. If Henry doesn't get his work permit, they can either sign him and lend him back to Cyprus so he can get his EU passport or don't sign him at all. They just wonder if they could get him earlier. I

Also, Henry has some hope to get a work permit because he's 21. Why did Junior Hoilett get a work permit at QPR 2 and half years ago? I don't think that Henry will get it for sure, or that he won't get it at all, but there have been precedents in giving young players a permit.

Hoilett is a completely different story, having been playing soccer in England for all those years

Can I just say that if Henry and Hutch BOTH end up at West Ham (long shot or not) that I will probably become a temporary West Ham fan?

(country before club type supporter lol, besides I don't normally watch Premiership football lately...but I'd start again)

EDIT: Worth noting that rumors have it Porto have also expressed interest in Henry, so claims The Canadian Press

Can I just say that if Henry and Hutch BOTH end up at West Ham (long shot or not) that I will probably become a temporary West Ham fan?

(country before club type supporter lol, besides I don't normally watch Premiership football lately...but I'd start again)

EDIT: Worth noting that rumors have it Porto have also expressed interest in Henry, so claims The Canadian Press

If Hutch and Henry both end up at West Ham, that's my new favorite club ... that would be AWESOME.  #canadianfootywetdream

In regards to Porto...that move would be scary.  I just noticed that names I'm familiar with like Daniel Opare and Diego Reyes are having trouble getting into the Porto lineup.   Those are world class names, I've even played as both on FIFA 14 and FIFA World Cup before, I actually think REALLY highly of Reyes' footballing skills...I remember watching him at Club America and Mexico National Team and thought he was amazing (although he has the occassional Doneil reminiscent gaff from time to time ;) )

Edit:  Not saying Henry would be competing with Reyes or Opare I'm fully aware of the difference between fullback and centerback thank you ;)

In regards to Porto...that move would be scary.  I just noticed that names I'm familiar with like Daniel Opare and Diego Reyes are having trouble getting into the Porto lineup.   Those are world class names, I've even played as both on FIFA 14 and FIFA World Cup before, I actually think REALLY highly of Reyes' footballing skills...I remember watching him at Club America and Mexico National Team and thought he was amazing (although he has the occassional Doneil reminiscent gaff from time to time ;) )

Edit:  Not saying Henry would be competing with Reyes or Opare I'm fully aware of the difference between fullback and centerback thank you ;)

Reyes is going to be a very good player. I expect at his prime he'll be one of the best CBs from CONCACAF.

Anybody familiar with west hams starting 11? How are the centre backs and do you guys think Henry can take somebody's spot?

West Ham have 3 decent centre backs. Winston Reid, James Collins and James Tomkins.

Henry would be a typical cheap squad player for them who can sit in the stands most of the season and turn up in a League Cup or FA Cup match. He'll definitely not start over any of these 3 guys who are cult heroes at the club. 

Henry should really focus on where he can get the most playing time so that he can progress as a player. West Ham would be the worst choice for him (as a footballer, not as a human in terms of money).

West Ham have 3 decent centre backs. Winston Reid, James Collins and James Tomkins.

Henry would be a typical cheap squad player for them who can sit in the stands most of the season and turn up in a League Cup or FA Cup match. He'll definitely not start over any of these 3 guys who are cult heroes at the club. 

Henry should really focus on where he can get the most playing time so that he can progress as a player. West Ham would be the worst choice for him (as a footballer, not as a human in terms of money).

Honestly it wouldn't be that bad for him to train there, play in Cup games and even get the odd loan to the Championship...

Honestly it wouldn't be that bad for him to train there, play in Cup games and even get the odd loan to the Championship...

No player gets better by training. Especially at a Premier League club. They play so many matches and therefore only train with 50% effort.

You need proper matches with real intensity. A cup game against a poor side playing in a West Ham B team doesn't help as well.

Go to a club and prove yourself playing first team matches and build a reputation. What do you think the guys at West Ham will think when he walks in the dressing room? They wouldn't take him seriously whatsoever. It would be such a bad move.

I read a couple of articles today stating that Reid will not be signing with West Ham again and this is why Allardyce has decided to sign Henry now.

I read a couple of articles today stating that Reid will not be signing with West Ham again and this is why Allardyce has decided to sign Henry now.

That may be so but you really don't expect West Ham to be giving a Henry a shot in the Premier League right? West Ham have plenty of money to spend and will always sign a higher profile player if Reid leaves. That's a big if as well since West Ham are doing great in the Premier League.

A player with only a few MLS games under his belt is just 4th/5th choice squad material.

I guess we will see what happens. Sam does call Henry's talent raw but he does agree that he has talent. IMO Henry is one of those players that will do better with better players around him. He continually puts himself in situations he doesn't belong in because his teammates around him are weak - and he tries to compensate by helping them. If he is given a chance I believe he will do really well and will stick. This may certainly take a season or two for him to settle but it does sound like they are quite high on his ability.

He was constantly shit on by TFC fans and I believe most of it was unwarranted. Many fans rated Hagglund over Henry and it just goes to show the effects of local bloggers and writers who are misguided with their ability to rate players properly and barf words into the thoughts of the common fan.

Good luck to Henry. West Ham is currently 4th in the EPL so just getting interest from that level is a great accomplishment. 

Winston Reid is 26, James Tomkins is 25 and James Collins is 31. Could West Ham be planning a transition when an old player leaves? 

Good luck to Henry and I hope he makes it. 

That may be so but you really don't expect West Ham to be giving a Henry a shot in the Premier League right? West Ham have plenty of money to spend and will always sign a higher profile player if Reid leaves. That's a big if as well since West Ham are doing great in the Premier League.

A player with only a few MLS games under his belt is just 4th/5th choice squad material.

What are you talking about? He has played nearly 70 MLS matches.

Geoff Cameron played just over 100 MLS matches before moving to Stoke City. He walked into their starting line up and has been a starter ever since.

So, it is not impossible for Henry to get plenty of minutes. Personally though, if he was to come in and get 500 to 1000 EPL minutes, maybe the odd start against a relegation threatened team, maybe get a few starts in any cup games that remain..... that would be worth it, and it would be considered a successful start to life in England!

Also, Reid is good as gone (possibly to Arsenal). Henry could find himself as 3rd or 4th in the CB depth chart.

What are you talking about? He has played nearly 70 MLS matches.

Geoff Cameron played just over 100 MLS matches before moving to Stoke City. He walked into their starting line up and has been a starter ever since.

So, it is not impossible for Henry to get plenty of minutes. Personally though, if he was to come in and get 500 to 1000 EPL minutes, maybe the odd start against a relegation threatened team, maybe get a few starts in any cup games that remain..... that would be worth it, and it would be considered a successful start to life in England!

Also, Reid is good as gone (possibly to Arsenal). Henry could find himself as 3rd or 4th in the CB depth chart.

This is a correct analysis.  I approve.

Wow nice business by Apollon. What would they have paid for him? Selling Henry without him even playing a single minute for them. Maybe Bez shouldn't have sold him so soon. 

Btw I think it will be a hard case monday, considering the ranking of the MNT and their results over the last couple of years. On the positive side, he really his young and a raw talent. 

When TSN were discussing this yesterday morning they mentioned that Reid is not coming back to West Ham at the end of the year, which is motivation for the signing of Henry. If he can't crack the lineup right away, it makes sense to loan him out to a championship club.

Still can't believe that some folks rate Hagglund over Henry. I thought Hagglund had a decent rookie year, but Henry will be miles ahead when all is said and done. 

Still can't believe that some folks rate Hagglund over Henry. I thought Hagglund had a decent rookie year, but Henry will be miles ahead when all is said and done.

It's nuts. Just compare the physical tools of both players and it's night and day. Hagglund is more conservative and he'll be a reliable MLS CB, but he lacks the mobility to play at a higher level. If Henry starts to "get it" he'll be a beast.

It's easy to get on the Henry train with these rumors, but the "raw" assessment still is in the correct one.  His decision making on the ball and occassionally off the ball is certainly well below the Premiership par, of course.  He'll have a lot of learning to do.  Remember, Reid leaves in JUNE.  This makes Henry a prospect, don't expect him to be suiting up for them in February, even IF signed.  There may be a loan spell in the offing here.

I don't think I'm being pessimistic with that.  

Archived