Friendly - Colombia vs. Canada - October 14, 2014 - PRE-match [no R]

jonny63

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roberts was one of the best keepers in USL Pro this season and played many minutes, he's also 6 years younger and has a much better chance of being Canada's starter in the future.  Not a knock on Smits, more of a compliment toward Roberts.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for calling Smits.  He's earned it and he could be Canada's Nick Rimando.. aka our consistent #3 who happens to play domestically.

Roberts and Smits both had/have 17 league starts this season.  Smits also had 4 in the V's cup.

Roberts was one of the best keepers in USL Pro this season and played many minutes, he's also 6 years younger and has a much better chance of being Canada's starter in the future.  Not a knock on Smits, more of a compliment toward Roberts.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for calling Smits.  He's earned it and he could be Canada's Nick Rimando.. aka our consistent #3 who happens to play domestically.

Roberts and Smits both had/have 17 league starts this season.  Smits also had 4 in the V's cup.

NASL is a higher level than USL PRO. Better players, shots, competition and a closer level to MLS 

Smits had a 4 year CIS career, made 29 NASL appearances over the last three years plus 4 more in V cup. He's beat out David Monsalves and Canada U-23 keeper Michal Misiewicz for a position at Fced.

Keepers reach their prime later in their careers so Roberts won't be at his peak until 2022 while Smits is closer to his prime for the next cycle 

In the pecking order he should be getting called regularly 

Atiba is in the top 10 North Americans in Europe but I think that best would be a tough sell. 

I like the roster a lot.  Six players will be eligible for our U20 team next year, surprised to see Aparicio on the senior team because I'm not even sure he'll make the U20s.  Hopefully he can take this opportunity to impress and improve under Floro and push on toward first team football.  He is the type of player who should be looking for a loan to Europe in the offseason.. perhaps to a 3rd division side in Spain?

I'm not opposed to this roster either.  It's just a friendly and we could use some more younger inexperienced kids to be given a chance to show their talents and play for a roster spot on the upcoming U23 Olympic qualifiers and Pan Am games (can't recall if Pan Am games ARE the Olympic qualifiers... regardless).

Hutch is probably being held back as he's likely needed, more so than Franco from Colombia (also on Besiktas). Petrasso and Aird would have been nice... Trafford, Smitty, Tissot... the list goes on.

Very young D.

I'm guessing (hoping) that Floro just wants to test players in this match because he's sticking to his "qualifier in Panama" simulation and this is a try-out for players to be on that roster.  I'm just upset that Hutchinson isn't there because we depend on him as a leader and linchpin, just as we do on David Edgar who is showing dedication and that he wants to be a leader and captain as he stated before.

Right now Edgar and Hutchinson are our two key players IMO.  We need them for every roster possible.

http://fcf.com.co/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6090&catid=4&Itemid=296

CRISTIAN ZAPATA – AC MILAN (ITA)
PABLO ARMERO – AC MILAN (ITA)
FREDY GUARÍN – INTER (ITA)

CAMILO ZÚÑIGA – NAPOLI (ITA)
JUAN GUILLERMO CUADRADO – FIORENTINA (ITA)
CARLOS CARBONERO – CESENA (ITA)
FALCAO GARCÍA – MANCHESTER UNITED (ING)
ABEL AGUILAR – TOULOUSE (FRA)
JACKSON MARTÍNEZ – PORTO (POR)
JUAN FERNANDO QUINTERO – PORTO (POR)
DAVID OSPINA – ARSENAL (ING)
CARLOS SÁNCHEZ – ASTON VILLA (ING)
JAMES RODRÍGUEZ – REAL MADRID (ESP)
CARLOS BACCA – SEVILLA (ESP)
JEISON MURILLO – GRANADA (ESP)
ADRIÁN RAMOS – BORUSSIA DORTMUND (ALE)
SANTIAGO ARIAS – PSV EINDHOVEN (HOL)
PEDRO FRANCO – BESIKTAS (TUR)
TEÓFILO GUTIÉRREZ – RIVER PLATE (ARG)
EDER ALVAREZ BALANTA – RIVER PLATE (ARG)
CAMILO VARGAS – INDEPENDIENTE SANTA FE (COL)
ALEXANDER MEJÍA – ATLÉTICO NACIONAL (COL)
EDWIN CARDONA – ATLÉTICO NACIONAL (COL)
YIMMI CHARÁ – DEPORTES TOLIMA (COL)
JOSE FERNANDO CUADRADO – ONCE CALDAS (COL)

Sorry, I don't know why this is orange...

I'm surprised that they would call up their entire first team roster for a friendly against us.  What also surprises me is that we wouldn't call up our entire "first choice" roster to match.  Certainly this is going to be the toughest match we've played in years (ever?)

This is what a tomato can boxer is going to feel like going against the champ.

Ruined my whole day right there.

Ah, well.  Tip of the hat to the Columbians for bringing a cannon to a wet towel fight.  Nice to see Canada taken seriously for a change! 

On the one hand this has the look of a repeat of the "Massacre at El Monumental" from 2010, doesn't it?  However, because of the neutral, State-side venue, if could also be similar to Brazil-Canada in 2008.  Hopefully, we'll see the latter.

Wow.  They are all guns blazing aren't they?

Meanwhile, where exactly is Will Johnson?  There just simply CAN'T be an excuse good enough to miss out on playing Colombia.  How dare he.

I agree about wanting to see Aird for this one.  If they are calling guys like Carreiro and Gasparatto, you have to believe Aird's phone rang.  I still have confidence Aird is interested in us, though.

My first reaction was *gulp*... but after sleeping on it....I have realized there is no use lamenting our key missing players.

You see, aside from Hutchinson, we don't have anyone in the pool that would have made a huge difference against this Colombia team. Osorio, Teibert, Johnson, Bernier, de Rosario, Jakovic....these guys would have been better choices if healthy/allowed to leave...but we would have been overmatched regardless. So, it's not the end of the world.

That being said, I hope the players don't have the same attitude we do. It's a game of soccer. Anyone can win. Like Keegan said, I doubt El Salvador are shaking in their boots like we are. Why are we scared all the time? Let's get some confidence back.

You know, even if they called a B team, instead of Falcao/Martinez/Ramos, we'd have to worry about someone like Quintero from Santos Laguna, or Freddy Montero who's at Sporting Lisbon right now. We'd have to face quality regardless so we must not fear it. Go out there and play with nothing to lose boys! Get a result!

This stadium is going to be packed with yellow shirts.  I wonder if the Ecuador and El Salvador fans will cheer for the under dog or for Colombia? 

Floro is right when he says this match is about testing the mentality of the players.  Are you going to stand or crumble here?  Because if you can't convince yourself that you can and will get a result against Colombia in NYC in a friendly how are you ever going to convince yourself that you can get a result in a World Cup?  Or even in Mexico, Costa Rica, Jamaica etc.  Floro has studied our team he knows how weak the players are mentally after watching last cycle and the 2011 and 2013 Gold Cups

Where did you find this piece of information?

Osorio is a starter, and his spot is as secure as anyone on TFC not named Bradley or Defoe (as long as he's in Toronto).

Floro is playing nice by allowing the teams in playoff races to keep their best players, especially given the haphazard way this friendly was thrown together. When the games really matter, I suspect this won't be the case.

And from what I'm being told, it's not so obvious that Bradley will get the call for the USMNT this month either. The MLS clubs are getting some leeway from the USSF and CSA because of how early in the cycle it is (and knowing that 2015 and 2016 are going to have a ton of international commitments).

The November FIFA dates were kept MLS-free, so hopefully we'll see the full squad then (minus Will Johnson, of course).

Wow. They are all guns blazing aren't they?

Meanwhile, where exactly is Will Johnson? There just simply CAN'T be an excuse good enough to miss out on playing Colombia. How dare he.

I agree about wanting to see Aird for this one. If they are calling guys like Carreiro and Gasparatto, you have to believe Aird's phone rang. I still have confidence Aird is interested in us, though.

Is this sarcasm? He shattered his fibia and tibia playing against tfc and is out at least 6 months. At best we will see him at the june wcq or july gold cup. Assuming its not a career ending josh simpson type injury.

Wow. How nice would it to have had josh playing for us. He was a great goal scoring attacking midfielder in a mid turkish league team and had just moved to a top swiss team that regularly plays in europe. My heart goes out to him.

Archived