Friendly - Colombia vs. Canada - October 14, 2014 - PRE-match [no R]

jonny63

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While he has gotten the bulk of the minutes this year, the #1 spot has gone back to Lance Parker. Smits made some bad errors in consecutive games that led to PKs so he lost his spot.

Still more minutes than all goalkeepers not named Monsalve

People always say Monsalve should be called in. I was talking to some dude from Finland who told me that the second division in Finland is really really poor.

While he has gotten the bulk of the minutes this year, the #1 spot has gone back to Lance Parker. Smits made some bad errors in consecutive games that led to PKs so he lost his spot.

Still more minutes than all goalkeepers not named Monsalve

I would say that, even if he isn't the #1 on those rare occasions when Parker is healthy, Smits has certainly played regularly this season. We wouldn't hesitate to call in a player who'd gotten so many minutes in Norway or Turkey.

Smits > Q.Roberts or any other goalies not getting minutes ...

Does Monsalves deserve a call-up too?

Roberts was one of the best keepers in USL Pro this season and played many minutes, he's also 6 years younger and has a much better chance of being Canada's starter in the future.  Not a knock on Smits, more of a compliment toward Roberts.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for calling Smits.  He's earned it and he could be Canada's Nick Rimando.. aka our consistent #3 who happens to play domestically.

Roberts and Smits both had/have 17 league starts this season.  Smits also had 4 in the V's cup.

CANADA
GK- Lars Hirschfeld | NOR / Valerenga
GK- Milan Borjan | BUL / Ludogorets Razgrad
GK- Quillan Roberts | CAN / Toronto FC
D- Nik Ledgerwood | GER / Energie Cottbus
D- Jeremy Gagnon-Laparé | CAN / Impact de Montréal
D- Andre Hainault | GER / VfR Aalen
D- Doneil Henry | CAN / Toronto FC
D- Adam Straith | unattached / sans club
D- Karl W. Ouimette | CAN / Impact de Montréal
D- Luca Gasparotto | SCO / Glasgow Rangers
M- David Edgar | ENG / Birmingham City
M- Julian de Guzman | unattached / sans club
M- Pedro Pacheco | POR / Santa Clara
M- Kyle Bekker | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Manuel Aparicio | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Issey Nakajima-Farran | CAN / Impact de Montréal
M- Marcel de Jong | GER / Augsburg
M- Dylan Carreiro | SCO / Dundee (on loan at Arbroath)
M- Hanson Boakai | CAN / FC Edmonton
F- Tosaint Ricketts | ISR / Hapoel Haifa
F- Cyle Larin | USA / University of Connecticut
F- Marcus Haber | ENG / Crewe Alexandra

Can only assume that we will see a second tier Colombia team, and no "James"

Is Atiba the best North American player in Europe at the moment? 

Guzan, Howard, Fabian Johnson, Aron Johansson. IMO

If Atiba can prove himself at EPL/Bundesliga, he'd have a case

Well, other than Atiba and Simeon, we're continuing to see Floro's core first-choice group take shape. I like how he fills the roster with younger players, mostly brought in to train (most will probably not see playing time).

With a lot of moving-parts players (Edgar, Straith, Ledgerwood, etc...), it will be interesting to see who starts in midfield. Not having Hutchinson in there will pose a good challenge for others to step up.

Atiba is in the top 10 North Americans in Europe but I think that best would be a tough sell. 

I like the roster a lot.  Six players will be eligible for our U20 team next year, surprised to see Aparicio on the senior team because I'm not even sure he'll make the U20s.  Hopefully he can take this opportunity to impress and improve under Floro and push on toward first team football.  He is the type of player who should be looking for a loan to Europe in the offseason.. perhaps to a 3rd division side in Spain?

After another look at the roster, we've called De Jong and JGL as the only left backs.  That's disappointing because it's clear that De Jong isn't a left back he has only ever been truly effective for Canada in midfield (and even at his club they've moved him to midfield) and we need him combining further up field and delivering final balls.  Why not bring in Tissot or Adekugbe as cover so we have that option?

Am pretty sure Colombia will have their "A" squad. Teofilo Gutierrez and Eder Alvarez Balanta (Both on River Plate - Argentina) have already been confirmed in the squad. Both were at the World cup. So for me, looking more and more like Colombia will have their A squad. We shall see come tonight.

Archived