Friendly - Colombia vs. Canada - October 14, 2014 - PRE-match [no R]

jonny63

Am pretty sure Colombia will have their "A" squad. Teofilo Gutierrez and Eder Alvarez Balanta (Both on River Plate - Argentina) have already been confirmed in the squad. Both were at the World cup. So for me, looking more and more like Colombia will have their A squad. We shall see come tonight.

If in fact Columbia do call anything approaching a full strength squad, this could get ugly. Our squad def reflects the fact that this is a hastily arranged friendly.  Pretty weak.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very disappointing. Does Floro have no pull with these clubs? I bet the USA get Bradley while we cannot get Osorio. Weak. 

I am excited to see Boakai, Petrasso's absence is disappointing. Surprised Tissot hasn't been given a shot yet, but at least he should be getting more MLS minutes now.

Ok..Lets get these bought. We have exclusive access to this section for a few more days. We need to show people that we can fill a section (or area) if we want to keep getting these special areas.

Please, if you are going, or know someone going, get on and get your tickets!

Thanks from Jamie & Trevor

Become quite the fan of Charlie Trafford. Very technical, big, hard working player. Young, up and comer with dual Nationality. One of the best midfielders in the Finnish league at the moment, playing 90 every week. Bit disappointed haven't seen him with Canada yet. Hopefully don't lose him as well. 

Finland ranked in the 60s, have multiple players from the Finnish league. Canada ranked in the 100s take bench players from USL and MLS... 

I don't expect Aparico to get any playing time. Also apparently Hamilton has tweeted he was called up. Wat.

Ya wouldn't expect him to get minutes. Doesn't even start in the USL... sitting on the bench behind Mark Anthony Kaye. Crucial time for Canadian soccer.. doesn't seem to be taken like it. 

Become quite the fan of Charlie Trafford. Very technical, big, hard working player. Young, up and comer with dual Nationality. One of the best midfielders in the Finnish league at the moment, playing 90 every week. Bit disappointed haven't seen him with Canada yet. Hopefully don't lose him as well. 

Finland ranked in the 60s, have multiple players from the Finnish league. Canada ranked in the 100s take bench players from USL and MLS... 

Yeah it would be nice to see him get involved at some point, but guys like him will have to be brought in incrementally from now on. Floro has already chosen his core. We probably won't see more than 3 debutants per camp from here on in.  

Teibert is the only Canadian worth calling and Vancouver are trying to make the playoffs. He won't get called. I don't get why Tissot isn't being given a chance. Marcus Haber. Blegh. Team looks young and fun. Would have liked to see Osorio though.

Compared with some of the other call ups, Adekugbe, Bustos and Froese are worth calling.  

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/10/03/new-york-red-bulls-star-tim-cahill-has-no-apologies-australian-obligations

Country over club, always. 

“This year, it is difficult,” Cahill said. “In the amount of games I have had to go away and travel and still make myself available [for New York] when I shouldn’t have … everyone is happy when you do well in a World Cup, but when you come back and you leave again …

“We shouldn’t be in this situation anyway,” he added. “We shouldn’t be fifth and a point away from dropping out. We should be comfortable. If you look at the season, it’s down to our own fault.”

“For me, [balancing club and country] doesn’t matter. It is what it is,” Cahill said. “Coach makes the decision and he has to live by it. If [the Red Bulls] are upset that I go on international duty, I have stated before coming to this club that [Australia] was my main focus. It was stated to the MLS. It is what it is; I don’t make the FIFA dates the same as every other FIFA date. It’s a pleasure to play for your country.”

The predicament we find ourselves in due to MLS scheduling is ridiculous.  Tim Cahill who is one of the league's most celebrated players is flying to the middle east to play matches.. while we can't even get Osorio even though we play in the same city he plays in just days before our fixture. 

Tons of respect to Cahill for standing up for what's right.  MLS lives in a fantasy world if somehow they think that they're going to be "the future of soccer" while not respecting the FIFA calendar. 

Osorio has a chance to play his heritage and gain valuable experience as a footballer but yet the poor kid is scared to go out of fear of losing his spot.  NO PLAYER on Montreal, Vancouver or Toronto should EVER be scared of losing their spot for playing for OUR country.. one of the two nations that represent this league.  Yet would Zusi lose his spot if he went to a USA game?  No chance because he's playing for the "mighty USA" he can do whatever he wants and he will be the topic of the top 4 stories on MLSsoccer.com for his troubles and hailed as a hero. 

Qualifiers for us are going to come fast and furious.  Next June to July may be the most important footy we play in the next 5 years and it may be over in a second after we just started a new cycle a few months ago.

MLS is excellent if you are a US international or a DP.   If you are a Canadian forget about it.  Now we can see why more and more countries around our level are building their teams with NASL players.

We are going to have to rotate our squad for those qualifiers and for the Gold Cup because there is no chance that any MLS club will let a Canadian leave for a month.  Imagine any other nation in the world not being able to call their best team to qualifiers and their intercontinental competition?  I can't think of one and you know MLS won't respect the Gold Cup or WCQ.  Why should they?  The USA is guaranteed a spot in the 3rd round and in the Copa America and squad rotation for the USMNT means more MLS players getting caps.

Archived