Friendly - Colombia vs. Canada - October 14, 2014 - PRE-match [no R]

jonny63

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a loss, but if we have Osario available he should be able to cover for this loss.

I expect similar situation like Sept where players are released by club's convenience. in middle of playoff hunt, MLS clubs aren't going to be willing to risk their key players to fatigue and injuries (which Osorio seems prone to lately)

Good scheduling by CSA would see more than 1 game a year played in Canada.

Honestly since Stephen Hart took the job in 2009 under the condition that the CSA would schedule at least one game in every international break we've done a really good job at getting the team quality matches. Especially these recent games against CONCACAF and now a CONMEBOL team. Panama away is the most excited I've been about an away friendly in a long time, it's going to be a real test for us and the type of game we have to win to qualify for a World and now a chance to see how our boys do against a truly World Class team in Columbia. 

Especially given how poor the attendance has been in recent home friendlies, I have no issues with how the CSA are going about this. 

They play completely different positions/roles... not sure how Osario makes up for Bernier. Will Johnson on the other hand.

They play completely different positions? They both play central midfield positions. They might be better suited to different formations, one playing more defensive than the other, but formations should be flexible. I agree that Will Johnson will be a another option for this position.

Can't see Teibert, Akindele or Johnson coming for this match.  I think we'll see quite a few TFC guys (Roberts, De Rosario, Bekker, Morgan, Henry/Osorio), maybe a couple DC United guys (Porter, Opare/Attakora) and whichever Montreal players Floro wants (Ouimette, JGL, Issey, Bernier if fit).

Can't see Teibert, Akindele or Johnson coming for this match.  I think we'll see quite a few TFC guys (Roberts, De Rosario, Bekker, Morgan, Henry/Osorio), maybe a couple DC United guys (Porter, Opare/Attakora) and whichever Montreal players Floro wants (Ouimette, JGL, Issey, Bernier if fit).

Why do you think Teibert will not make this match? You think Floro will exclude him on purpose?

In that case Toronto would not be able to release their players either.

Teibert starts for Vancouver.  Bekker, Morgan, De Rosario, Roberts and one of Osorio/Henry would presumably be expendable.  TFC also plays in NYC on the Saturday so it would be effortless.

If the CSA makes a deal with the clubs or leave certain players out of the squad in a bid to ingratiate themselves to the clubs, that's a different thing entirely. The clubs cannot unilaterally refuse to release the players. Even if they claim injury, the CSA has the right to insist that the players travel to be assessed by their own doctors.

If the CSA makes a deal with the clubs or leave certain players out of the squad in a bid to ingratiate themselves to the clubs, that's a different thing entirely. The clubs cannot unilaterally refuse to release the players. Even if they claim injury, the CSA has the right to insist that the players travel to be assessed by their own doctors.

Are you sure about that?  Players aren't under contract to the CSA so how could that be?

FIFA rules, mate. If the player doesn't report when called, the federation can enforce a suspension from league play of up to 3 matches.

If the player doesn't report when called is very loose.  Could that mean when they actually accept the call and then fail to report?  I think that is more likely.

I don't think you can force anyone to play international football.  For instance, if France called Nasri and he said no I really doubt they are going to be able to suspend him from Man City for 3 matches.  You can't force a player to fly from Europe to North America for a medical, just as we can't force a player who turns down a call for club reasons to come.

The way I've always understood it, the player, once cap tied to a particular country, had to report when called or face suspension from club matches. The exception was if they retired from international football. However, according to Platini shooting his mouth off recently, it appears that there is no exception for international retirement, only the application of common sense from most international managers. France, whom nobody has ever accused of exercising common sense, are trying to negate Ribery's international retirement, like they did previously with Makalele.

If the player doesn't report when called is very loose.  Could that mean when they actually accept the call and then fail to report?  I think that is more likely.

I don't think you can force anyone to play international football.  For instance, if France called Nasri and he said no I really doubt they are going to be able to suspend him from Man City for 3 matches.  You can't force a player to fly from Europe to North America for a medical, just as we can't force a player who turns down a call for club reasons to come.

There was a discussion on this very subject last month. France have done it before with Makalele and they are thinking of doing it with Ribery (ie. call them after they say they have retired internationally).

Archived