Call up prediction versus Jamaica

Obinna

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, but why should i give a fuck about FC Dallas? It's a FIFA date and he won't miss a game anyway. Case closed.

Doesn't matter what you care about. It is his decision and the decision of people advising him. Your opinion has no influence on this.

When I look at how a 18 team roster may shape up for the next world cup qualifying I'm not feeling nearly as pessimistic as before.  Especially with some of our younger offensive options are developing it's looking much better.

If a couple "maybe" players show up we should be in very good shape I would think.  As a sporting nation we have the talent to complete for a 3rd or 4th spot.

Doesn't matter what you care about. It is his decision and the decision of people advising him. Your opinion has no influence on this.

Oh please, if the kid wants to play internationally he'll show up and play. Let's not pretend that playing a mid-week game every once in a while is some massive inconvenience.

Personally, as long as the CSA is confident he won't be the next Bunbury, I wouldn't pressure him or Dallas too much to come.

If he/they are comfortable, then awesome, but if not, I much prefer he stay home and pot a couple more hattricks.

Him dominating with Dallas and potentially winning rookie of the year(and the obvious attention that comes with that) will be much more important to CMNT in the long term than winning this friendly.

But if the need to cap tie him is legitimately important, then they better be spamming his voicemail and email.

^The Americans are pretty good at having a "cattle call" of NT prospects, especially at Gold Cup times for cap-tying purposes, so I'm a little worried about not having this guy in the picture as soon as we can, especially if his star is rising.  They don't give a rat's ass if these players can play for them down the road, so long as they don't play for anyone else.  Didn't Sam's Cronin's international career begin (and probably end) five years ago in the Gold Cup?  Though he wouldn't be officially tied to us in this match when he plays, it would perhaps be a little harder for Akindele to walk away from our program.  

Or, maybe Klinny has expressed absolutely no interest in him because he's not half German, who knows?

I don't begrudge MLS players the right in any situation to turn down a national team call up for a friendly if it hurts their chances of playing for their club. Especially for a guy like Akindele who is just breaking through into professional soccer, will have many more chances to play for Canada (most likely the next one will come in a couple months against Panama), and is trying to hold down a spot on a team pushing for the playoffs. 

I remember reading several times (but forget where) that it is Floro's intent to have his strongest squad there. I'm not sure if this means that he will put a little pressure on players to be there but it might.

I think Floro, like some of us Vs is cognisant of the fact that being ranked 12th or higher in CONCACAF will likely (if the process remains the same) be advantageous to our 2018 qualifying chances. 

Anybody think this camp might be an opportunity to give Emmett O'Connor a look? He plays at a similar level to a bunch of the guys we call up and is young, also plays a position that we could use some depth in. I think it would be advantageous to get him into camp, don't have to cap him, but atleast get him integrated.

Anybody think this camp might be an opportunity to give Emmett O'Connor a look? He plays at a similar level to a bunch of the guys we call up and is young, also plays a position that we could use some depth in. I think it would be advantageous to get him into camp, don't have to cap him, but atleast get him integrated.

If we bring our best team I do not think he gets a call up. Players in England League 1 and lower like Marcus Haber and Terry Dunfield have had a hard time getting called for the National team and O'Connor has not even made an appearance. He only has American College and maybe CSL experience. I hope he gets some playing time and shows that he is worthy of a call up.

It of course is 20/20 hindsight...but was Tesho Akindele on any of the Canadian MLS teams draft list..he went in the sixth round, out of a division II school, so the question is are other Canadian hiding in NCAA division II schools that Canadian MLS or NASL franchises are missing ?

Does the CSA data-base of national pool players track these players in lower divisions and share the information with the Canadian Pro teams so players can be signed and kept close to home and visible and available for national service ?

It of course is 20/20 hindsight...but was Tesho Akindele on any of the Canadian MLS teams draft list..he went in the sixth round, out of a division II school, so the question is are other Canadian hiding in NCAA division II schools that Canadian MLS or NASL franchises are missing ?

Does the CSA data-base of national pool players track these players in lower divisions and share the information with the Canadian Pro teams so players can be signed and kept close to home and visible and available for national service ?

He went 6th overall. 1 pick after Montreal took Eric Miller. It was a really risky pick to take that high b/c he was playing against weaker competition in Div 2

Sounds like Tesho is not going to be called up for Sept. I don't think any MLS players deep in playoff hunt are going to get called up at this rate.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/19/leiweke-cant-leave-his-work-with-tfc-has-just-begun

It will be interesting to see if Je-Vaughn Watson gets called by Jamaica. I am going to call it right now and say he'll be there, leaving us all ponder Tesho's absence. I can see the justification all ready: Oh, he's a rookie and doesn't want to loose his spot. Oh, he can't miss club training he's too important. Oh, he needs to be as fresh as possible down this stretch.

Look, playing for your country is an honour and a privilege. To turn down a call up for any of those reasons/excuses does not sit well with me as a supporter. Are players going to turn down NT friendlies every time their club has an important stretch? Every time their afraid to lose their spot? Every time there they will miss club training.

There are no overlapping league games with this fixture. As a great man (Allan Iverson) once said: "Practice? We're talking bout practice? Not the actual game....but practice"?  

There will always be important club games on the horizon, there will always be competition for your spot, there will always be missed training sessions.

That is the sacrifice of being an international player, but that sacrifice to play for your country is suppose to make it all worth it.

Yeah I know what your thinking... MLS schedule blah blah blah. FIFA calander blah blah blah. Players are entitled to play if they want to bad enough.

Anyways, that is my rant. Let's see if Jamaica calls Watson.

Look, playing for your country is an honour and a privilege. To turn down a call up for any of those reasons/excuses does not sit well with me as a supporter. Are players going to turn down NT friendlies every time their club has an important stretch? Every time their afraid to lose their spot? Every time there they will miss club training.

There are no overlapping league games with this fixture. As a great man (Allan Iverson) once said: "Practice? We're talking bout practice? Not the actual game....but practice"?  

There will always be important club games on the horizon, there will always be competition for your spot, there will always be missed training sessions.

That is the sacrifice of being an international player, but that sacrifice to play for your country is suppose to make it all worth it.

I completely agree with all this. Tesho is in a more sensitive spot here because we want to give him his first cap. In my view, I'd even expect him to put extra effort and be available for this friendly for the sake of getting that first appearance out of the way.

While I agree with the gist of your reasoning, I find its plausible to let players decline the odd game for club tasks. Only catch to this is I refuse to accept it for competitive matches (Gold Cup / WCQ), and if players begin to make it a habit. Akindele looks like he's going to play this card for the first time. If he's committed to our program, I can wait a bit before we begin integrating him into our squad.

Two players that seem to never be available anymore are WIll Johnson and Luca Cavallini. I'm far more concerned about their commitment than Akindele at the moment.

The fact that we have had so few camps recently makes the absences of Cavallini and Johnson seem like more of an issue then it probably is I think. They turn 1 or maybe 2 invitations and they miss a whole year with our recent schedule. When the games start to matter I think they will show.

Archived