Call up prediction versus Jamaica

Obinna

Well, I'm sure he means "best 18 who are available".  Johnson probably won't be there, and I'm not sure Atiba will be there if he's injured, and Tesho won't be there.  So, that's 3 players right there who would likely be on our best game day 18 at the moment, and who probably won't be on this roster.

I'm curious to see if JDG gets called ... in any case, Floro might also have been simply indicating that this won't just be an MLS based team, so we will hopefully see Jakovic, Hainault, Edgar, De Jong, Cavallini, Ricketts, etc.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure Akindele is in our first 18.  Sure he's in great form but does his great form of a few months  trump what Ricketts and Jackson have done for years?  Furthermore if those two were swapped with Akindele at FC Dallas how would it look? I think Ricketts and Jackson are better players at the moment and would have similar success in his situation.

While big nations can rotate their squad on a monthly basis (similar to large clubs in world football) we are more of a 2nd division squad on the international scene.  As such I think Floro is treating the team as that... i.e. De Rosario staying with the MNT, sure he hasn't done much on the club scene but from Floro's perspective he was our best player in 2013-2014 along with being our active caps and goals leader.  I don't understand the DeRo hate out there.. the guy has what 280 minutes this season?!  Played well in the Seattle opener and hasn't got a chance since.  We've also seen him come on and add creativity that our "athletes/young guys" don't have save for a few.  What happened between last off season and now?  De Ro was Canada's best player at the end of 2013 and was TFC's best player in 2014 preseason.. he hasn't had any injuries since?  I think it's just a case of him not fitting into Nelsen's system and not DeRo being done, he could definitely make an impact in MLS still even if it's not a MLS All Star level impact.  DeRo should look for a new club next year if he wants to continue with the CMNT.

I really believe that Morgan, in a different system, would help another MLS club.  He's got the athleticism/speed and a really good cross coming off the overlap.

He had a great run for a while with his play...then for the longest stretch he was putting crosses into the crowd 75% of the time.  Hasn't had regular minutes since that time.

So "best 18" will include DeRo but not Johnson and Akindele? I think Coach needs to temper expectations a little. 

“The Canadian team has contacted FC Dallas and let them know they are interested in me, which is really good,” Akindele said. “Unfortunately we have some club stuff coming up so I can’t go to the camp they have coming up, but I’m really honored to be contacted by the national team. It feels great.”

“I am about to get my US citizenship, hopefully within a month or so. I’ve been going through that process," he said.

In an article about him possibly playing for the USMNT of course....Might as well stop paying attention to him now, we know where this is headed.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/08/24/rookie-year-candidate-tesho-akindele-undecided-international-future-could-pl

I'm not sure Akindele is in our first 18.  Sure he's in great form but does his great form of a few months  trump what Ricketts and Jackson have done for years?  Furthermore if those two were swapped with Akindele at FC Dallas how would it look? I think Ricketts and Jackson are better players at the moment and would have similar success in his situation.

While big nations can rotate their squad on a monthly basis (similar to large clubs in world football) we are more of a 2nd division squad on the international scene.  As such I think Floro is treating the team as that... i.e. De Rosario staying with the MNT, sure he hasn't done much on the club scene but from Floro's perspective he was our best player in 2013-2014 along with being our active caps and goals leader.  I don't understand the DeRo hate out there.. the guy has what 280 minutes this season?!  Played well in the Seattle opener and hasn't got a chance since.  We've also seen him come on and add creativity that our "athletes/young guys" don't have save for a few.  What happened between last off season and now?  De Ro was Canada's best player at the end of 2013 and was TFC's best player in 2014 preseason.. he hasn't had any injuries since?  I think it's just a case of him not fitting into Nelsen's system and not DeRo being done, he could definitely make an impact in MLS still even if it's not a MLS All Star level impact.  DeRo should look for a new club next year if he wants to continue with the CMNT.

I agree with some of this for sure.

Although Akindele is in sensational form right now, I really think the form of FCD as a whole is the driving force behind all the goals we are seeing from him. Yes he has to put the ball in the net of course, but he is getting the opportunities and service at Dallas. When they go cold he will be starved up front. It doesn't look like he creates much for himself from what I see. This is in contrast to Di Vaio, who is also a clinical finisher but more proficient at creating his opportunities. That is my opinion but it is based on a small sample size mainly consisting of highlights and tuning in to a few Dallas games here and there.

That being said I would start him ahead of Ricketts and Jackson right now certainly. Still too early to say whether or not he is a better player than either though IMO.

Regarding Dero, I think it is a shame he isn't getting more minutes at TFC. We need to keep in mind his competition is Defoe, Gilberto, Moore and now Dike. That is a hard group to earn minutes from. Arguably the strongest striking contingent in MLS. So I am also hesitant to say he is past it. He could still be valuable as a late game sub for club and country. He has come close to scoring a few times this season in his limited minutes. Has been very unlucky and certainly doesn't look useless out there.

This kid isn't going to play for Canada

I find it absolute BS that Canada is excited about a player and MLS which is supposed to be a Canada/US league puts out an article that says in the title "could play for USMNT"

TEAL BUNBURY 2.0

This kid is gonna eat that hype right up and envision himself starting for the USMNT all the while holding out from Canada calls for "club commitments" but bet your ass that when that US call comes he'll skip the bloody MLS Cup final to play a friendly in South East Asia with a domestic squad.  

What a piece of shit Bunbury was/is... how he led everyone on saying he had club commitments and then the US call came and all bets were off.  Karma is a bitch.  I would have a lot more respect if he just said "listen, I grew up in the USA I would like to see if a call comes from them and if it doesn't I would be happy to play for the country of my birth"  Life would be a lot easier for Teal if he chose us.  He would be an instant legend just because of his father and even with his poor form/injuries he would still be getting caps and training from Floro.  Pissed that away.

In the grand scheme of things guys like Bunbury and Akindele are just pieces to the puzzle they aren't players that lead you to a World Cup single handedly.  The current u20/u23 team is the great hope for our CMNT if we want to make 2018-2026.

I'm not sure Akindele is in our first 18.  Sure he's in great form but does his great form of a few months  trump what Ricketts and Jackson have done for years? 

Which is ....

Furthermore if those two were swapped with Akindele at FC Dallas how would it look? I think Ricketts and Jackson are better players at the moment and would have similar success in his situation.

You have too much faith in the Turkish 2nd Division. Jackson has a better resume but it's hard to tell where his game is right now.

The Canadian National Team plays college players and guys that are not full-time MLS starters. Why would Canada want the MLS Rookie of the Year?

I bet NCAA don't have to release players if they don't want to. But yeah, how is Larin in our best 18?

It's pretty apparent that Floro really likes Larin.  Not sure that's wise, but he's the coach so he must see something he likes.  As with JGL.

Besides, I do think there is some room for extra players, i.e. call in 23 players with a few spots open for experimentation.  Floro said as much himself.  Not to mention that several players in our best 18 aren't available / won't come.

Which is ....

You have too much faith in the Turkish 2nd Division. Jackson has a better resume but it's hard to tell where his game is right now.

The Canadian National Team plays college players and guys that are not full-time MLS starters. Why would Canada want the MLS Rookie of the Year?

They've been pros for years.  Not saying they've lit it up but they've put in work across multiple countries and played 100+ pro matches.. Akindele is very raw compared to them.

As for Akindele being rookie of the year... I wouldn't put too much stock in that.  If you look at past rookie of the years there are a lot of good ones but a lot who fell short of expectations.  Do you expect Akindele to ever be an impact player on a club like Norwich City?  If he did I think we could call his career a success.

From what I've seen Harry Shipp should be the MLS rookie of the year anyhow.

From what I've seen Harry Shipp should be the MLS rookie of the year anyhow.

Shipp was awesome in 1st half of the season, but he has cooled off big time. Akindele is the guy in form, and I don't think any other rookie is even close to him.

We are making too much of this "best 18" stuff.

Floro said that there is room for a few experiments, as opposed to bringing in new faces for half the spots.  That's all.

Larin and Tesho getting a call does not mean that are among our best 18. it just means we have 10-15 top people and those 2 are among the more interesting young prospects among the rest.

^ He should, one of our few keepers actually playing (although not recently). Larsen also reporting Osorio, Bekker, Henry and Morgan will be called, with Henry and Osorio likely turning down the call to concentrate on the TFC playoff push. Disappointing if true.

Archived