Call up prediction versus Jamaica

Obinna

Agree with that. He's only made 10 appearances this season with no goals. Certainly not deserving unless it is a final send off in front of the hometown faithful. If he was getting regular playing time and scoring I would definitely want him in the squad regardless of his age. 

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well oh well ... looks like the race for striker call-ups is certainly heating up!

This weekend Ricketts has scored... REB has scored... Cavallini had a brace...... and Tesho had a Hatty! Now when you factor in Jackson-Hamel (who is looking quite good despite not scoring) and everyones favourite young striker prospect - Jordan Hamilton - who is already earning minutes in Portugal's second tier, we certainly have the makings for some exciting call-up predictions up front!

Here are things as I see them:

STRIKERS

Akendele - We GOT to get this guy in camp. I don't think anyone here disagrees. He now has 7 goals in 16 games and is on pace to win MLS rookie of the year!

Cavallini - This brace along with his pre-season scoring should put to rest any unease after his disappointing loan last season. I don't know what has changed with him or Fenix, but he looks poised to replicate his form at Juventud which saw him pot 10 goals in 25 matches. I'd say now is the perfect time for Floro to bring him back into the mix!

Ricketts - Normally I am not too high on this guy, but lets face it - he deserves a call this time around. His move to Israel does not appear too impressive at first glance, but Hapoel Hafia has won a championship as recently as 09-10, and he isn't the only international in the squad. That means nothing if he is not scoring, but his cup goal suggests he his scoring exploits in the Turkish second flight will continue in Israel. Oh, and he's super fast.

REB - Again, speed kills and we could certainly use some against the likes of Jamaica. The cup goal against BVB Dortmund aside, he has been getting some pretty good minutes during his time at Stuttgarter Kickers. Playing in the German Liga 3 is not ideal, but we all know his ceiling is higher. I am much more inclined to bring him in right now than Simeon Jackson, who really needs to get himself sorted out.

Jackson-Hamel - Between him, Hamilton, and Larin, I am going with this guy. We have only seen him in MLS a few times but he has looked very dangerous by all accounts. Larin has already had a taste of the CMNT and Hamilton's time will come, he is only 18 after all.

And what is Marcus Haber now, chopped Liver?

Until his brace a few days ago he was really off the radar. He was frozen out at Stevenage for the second half of last season. Now Crewe Alexandra has given his career a reboot and he has already begun to reward them. He should rightfully be back in the mix now, but at the time of writing that list he had done nothing to justify a mention. For all I knew he could have gone through this year being stuck to the bench once again. It's early, but it doesn't appear like that will happen this season. Good for us for sure.

For the record, I share the same view of his namesake, D. Haber. He is now on loan to a bottom half side in Cyprus now. If he hits some good form in the next few weeks he firmly becomes part of the picture. If not...he doesn't. 

Looks like he's the first one confirmed. I am mildly surprised considering his lack of game time but we really do need some veterans to lead this young group. The game is also in Toronto so no travel required for the TFC boys. Makes me feel that Bekker and Morgan will get calls as well despite the limited minutes they've played. It will be interesting to see who misses out if those 2 are brought in. I hope Tissot makes it this time.

Until his brace a few days ago he was really off the radar. He was frozen out at Stevenage for the second half of last season. Now Crewe Alexandra has given his career a reboot and he has already begun to reward them. He should rightfully be back in the mix now, but at the time of writing that list he had done nothing to justify a mention. For all I knew he could have gone through this year being stuck to the bench once again. It's early, but it doesn't appear like that will happen this season. Good for us for sure.

For the record, I share the same view of his namesake, D. Haber. He is now on loan to a bottom half side in Cyprus now. If he hits some good form in the next few weeks he firmly becomes part of the picture. If not...he doesn't. 

That is fair. Though I think his scoring the last goal for his country before Ricketts' also makes him worth considering. Being a bit of a fan of what he brings, I have to say, that he was treated unfairly at Stevenage, his strike rate at League One level, is decent.

And for Daniel Haber, I am still waiting to see at the International level, what he brings at the club level. He has energy, for sure, but I wonder if he is being played out of position on the wing for Canada?? Which is where, coincedently, I think M. Haber should be played. As I have posted numerous times before.

Don't be surprised if we put out 8 or 9 MLS players in the starting lineup.  It's only a 1 day window so we won't get many or any European players.

I'm pretty certain that we're going to see some MLS players who aren't playing regularly for this game.  DeRo is confirmed and I expect Bekker, Morgan, Issey, Ouimette and Porter out there too.  We may even get a Nana Attakora sighting if he's back from his concussion.

Yeah Nana is back and went 90 in the CCL game against Waterhouse or whatever that Jamaican team was called.

I really want us to move past the point where we can not depend on guys like Porter and Nana who are not regularly playing. They will probably get the call because we have so few options, but damn it feels like this program is just spinning it's wheels sometimes.  

Don't be surprised if we put out 8 or 9 MLS players in the starting lineup.  It's only a 1 day window so we won't get many or any European players..

It'll be interesting to compare our line-up with that of Jamaica, and see where players come from for both sides.

Having as many of our guys as possible based in MLS is advantageous from this perspective.

Ashtone Morgan is a starting quality LB in MLS.  Unfortunately for him Morrow really is one of the top LB in the league and he's been healthy all season.

I really believe that Morgan, in a different system, would help another MLS club.  He's got the athleticism/speed and a really good cross coming off the overlap.

Montreal plays in Houston the Saturday before, and has a home game the day after the Jamaica game. The availability really depends on how our injured are doing because they will certainly miss a game.

If Miller is in game shape by then(and he should be), I'm sure Ouimette is coming, and if Larea and Mapp are playing, then Tissot should almost certainly get the call.

According to this Floro will call up his first choice 18. He says this is the second part of his preparation, the first was getting a chance to see the whole player pool now he'll use these next matches to narrow down to his best 18 before next summer's Gold Cup.

http://rednationonline.ca/Articles2014/FlorotocallupfirstchoicesquadforJamaicama.aspx

I REALLY hope that means we see Cavallini ...

Great article..thanks for posting.

“Both the result and how we play is very important for us, but the most important thing at this moment is that we have defined 18 important players,” Floro added. “We need to consider the game against Jamaica as an official game and not as a friendly. The mentality of the players must change because it is a very important game for us. Jamaica is a good team, so they will be a good test for us and for me in particular, because I need test how the players perform in our stadium versus another pitch outside of Canada. I also need to test how the players play in a game under pressure and in front of our supporters.”  Floro.

Off topic.

NOT A FRIENDLY - perhaps a banner paired with  a Floro graphic, Similar to this Dero one. http://www.thevoyageurs.org/index.php?/gallery/image/9-img-2935/ 

We should really think to welcome our new manager, first game in Canada...correct?

Archived