CANADA vs Martinique - July 7th - 2:30pm PST (R) Game Thread

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe supporting QPR, TFC and Hearts have just hardened me to bad losses, I don't think I'm as angry or surprised as some on here about the result! We had a very young disorganized squad out there and we lost in a tournament that is experimental or compromised for most nations! I like Miller as a former player and for his passion towards our National Team but let me just say I'm sure happy we hired someone else! I didn't like the formation, substitutions or strategy in general but the players certainly don't go blameless! Did anyone think many of our players seemed to really be intimidated by this big physical team, many of our passes were hurried because of that! Maybe this will be enough for Miller to change the starting 11, that may have been in the plans all along as I think he does have a mandate to get these guys into the match! Bring on Mexico!

Probably a minor point, but you can't cap tie players against Martinique. They aren't recognized by FIFA as a country.

Discussed that one already in this thread. CONCACAF ruled that players could be cap-tied because this is a FIFA recognized tournament, but it doesn't really matter now.

Yes - Nick plays Midfield for Hammarby. Edgar has played some RB as has Doneil Henry, but none of these are exactly prototypical fullbacks. With Hutch, we obviously have to play him in central mid. My point is we have only one single player in our pool who regularly plays RB. I think some people seem to forget how limited our pool really is. Honest to God, Dan Gargan would be a regular with our Nats - that is how thin we are. Given that, should anyone really be surprised we are struggling as we are?

Maybe supporting QPR, TFC and Hearts have just hardened me to bad losses, I don't think I'm as angry or surprised as some on here about the result! We had a very young disorganized squad out there and we lost in a tournament that is experimental or compromised for most nations! I like Miller as a former player and for his passion towards our National Team but let me just say I'm sure happy we hired someone else! I didn't like the formation, substitutions or strategy in general but the players certainly don't go blameless! Did anyone think many of our players seemed to really be intimidated by this big physical team, many of our passes were hurried because of that! Maybe this will be enough for Miller to change the starting 11, that may have been in the plans all along as I think he does have a mandate to get these guys into the match! Bring on Mexico!

I doubt that, honestly. Canada's tactics were just horrible. Not stringing good passes today and always crossing for the wings hoping that somebody will head the ball to net. That was the strategy employed by Miller and yielded 0 goals. Martinique played a helluva game and deserved more goals than just a 1-0 win. Disorganized or not, alot of teams bring there B teams to the Gold Cup, so making it further should be Canada's goal to get a better FIFA ranking and give the kids confidence.

It's not just the subs ... The players looked confused and there was clearly no plan going forward aside from "kick the ball way forward and hope for the best". That shouldn't happen after a 10 day camp.

What I perpetually notice with out team is that if you squeeze out the easy options for our backline to pass to, we will quickly revert to long ball. It never fails. The midfield doesn't open up space quickly enough to create options and the defenders aren't confident enough to complete anything but an easy short pass.

Guys, this team at its best has been absolutely terrible for years. We were extremely lucky to beat Guadeloupe in 2011 with a stronger lineup, remember? Let's have some perspective. Colin Miller has nothing to do with this being a generation of underperforming garbage players. Nothing.

Guys, this team at its best has been absolutely terrible for years. We were extremely lucky to beat Guadeloupe in 2011 with a stronger lineup, remember? Let's have some perspective. Colin Miller has nothing to do with this being a generation of underperforming garbage players. Nothing.

Nobody told him to field the lineup that he did or organize tactically the way he has. You can't simply lump all that on the players. Our pool isn't deep, but I won't accept that it isn't capable of more than we saw today. He keeps going back the to the same things that have failed in previous games.

What ag says is accurate. Also, I have to ask, you have no problem with waiting until the 86' to bring on the 2nd sub in a situation like this?

Except he's been a youth coach in this country for a generation!

Thought the game was a at 1:00 PDT but when I found out it was at 2:30 I opted to finished all my yard work then visit family. Very pleased that I didn't waste 2 hours of my life on this match.

Saw the highlights. Great goal to win it but right now, I see Wikipedia is adding a new definition for the term "nadir," featuring a picture of our players walking off the pitch after the final whistle of this clusterfu*k.

Also, just found this picture of Floro after the game:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Q9KwENLpojc/TVyTwffZlJI/AAAAAAAAAJw/wk0mNu2cePw/s1600/facepalm.jpg

(gotta have a laugh...beats crying!)

Here's one quote from Miller after the game: "We will need pick ourselves up, review all of the little things we can improve and ensure that we put in a better performance on Thursday." Sad that he thinks there are just little things that need improved.

I'm just sick to ****ing death of the annual "blame the coach"-a-palooza that's been going on here for as long as I've been on this board. Coach after coach, it never changes, the only constant for every disgrace is the men on the field.

I'm just sick to ****ing death of the annual "blame the players"-a-palooza that's been going on here for as long as I've been on this board. Player after player, it never changes, the only constant for every disgrace is the man on the sidelines.

I'm just sick to ****ing death of the annual "blame the players"-a-palooza that's been going on here for as long as I've been on this board. Player after player, it never changes, the only constant for every disgrace is the man on the sidelines.

Nah, coaches change. The players, well they don't.

I'm just sick to ****ing death of the annual "blame the coach"-a-palooza that's been going on here for as long as I've been on this board. Coach after coach, it never changes, the only constant for every disgrace is the men on the field.

+1. It wasn't Colin Miller's fault that just about every time the slightest bit of pressure was applied today our players panicked.

Archived