CANADA vs Martinique - July 7th - 2:30pm PST (R) Game Thread

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which teams of Canadians that could be formed could beat the current Gold Cup crew? I don't think there is one. I mean, the entire problem is that we have too few good players.

I'm not talking about on paper. Because on paper we should have beat Ventura County and Martinique, would you not agree? I mean I'm SURE there is a certain PDL team in Canada that could take out the mighty Ventura County.

I'm talking about a pure passion perspective, or "feeling" as Benito would put it. On paper we're fine against most CONCACAF nations, the problem comes when we hit the pitch. We've gotta get off these games on paper and start making players accountable for showing up and dog ****ing it.

There is no way a guy like Marcel De Jong put his best foot forward, I've seen him play in Germany. If that was the norm for him he'd be in the 3rd division at best.

I think that people on this board overrate our team. It is what it is.

Looking at the team that Canada used against MArtinique, it was always going to be difficult to beat them anyways.

Wait, what?! Look at our opponents!!

It's not unreasonable at all to EXPECT Canada to win that match comfortably with the squad we put out. Most of their team plays in Martinique! Their "star" player is a rotation player on our captain's team! Like come on guys... is the bar really this low?

I guess you could argue "well, Piquionne used to be good" but so did De Guzman? In typical fashion we let a couple half decent players (the only ones they had too, good job Miller) run around and take control of the game between themselves.

I'm not talking about on paper. Because on paper we should have beat Ventura County and Martinique, would you not agree? I mean I'm SURE there is a certain PDL team in Canada that could take out the mighty Ventura County.

I'm talking about a pure passion perspective, or "feeling" as Benito would put it. On paper we're fine against most CONCACAF nations, the problem comes when we hit the pitch. We've gotta get off these games on paper and start making players accountable for showing up and dog ****ing it.

There is no way a guy like Marcel De Jong put his best foot forward, I've seen him play in Germany. If that was the norm for him he'd be in the 3rd division at best.

I do agree about De Jong ... it seems like whenever he plays for the NT, he's only ok at best (he was pretty good in Panama TBH). But there is no way he plays at that level with Augsburg. He's just better than what he has shown. Is this why Hart kept playing Jazic at LB over him in WCQ ... there aren't too many other explanations that make much sense.

I guess you could argue "well, Piquionne used to be good" but so did De Guzman? In typical fashion we let a couple half decent players (the only ones they had too, good job Miller) run around and take control of the game between themselves.

This I agree with. They have a few decent players and the rest we didn't really test. Miller screwed us with his player selection, tactics and inability to change anything, and our players never got going and embarrassed themselves.

On paper our best should be close to Martinique (the gap between our Elo ratings is less than that between Panama and Honduras) and we didn't have our best.

On paper any team of quality should beat any PDL team, and by all accounts we outplayed them but ran into a hot goalkeeper, conceded a penalty, and that's all she wrote. **** does sometimes happen (and Ventura County is a strong PDL team; there aren't that many Canadian PDL sides that could hang with them. Victoria, probably. Thunder Bay, but they have a lot of foreigners. Arguably London.)

So from my understanding, Edwini-Bonsu has managed to sneak out of this train wreck without getting cap-tied. Guess there's no choice but to play and cap Aleman now.... right? right??

Edwin-Bonsu already has 4 full caps.

Archived