NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

From Calgary South West United newsletter:

'Elva Caniggia, a member of the U18 SWU Tier 1 Boys team, travelled to Germany to try out with VfB Stuttgart of the German Bundesliga. He has been invited back this summer to sign a professional contract'.

Ex-Whitecaps Residency, I believe. Somewhat Thomas Neindorf is smiling.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is he a relative of Claudio Caniggia?

No, but I'm pretty sure his dad was a big fan of Claudio Caniggia and David Ginola. His full name is Caniggia Ginola Elva apparently. His father was former St. Lucia international Titus Elva.

http://www.caribbeanhotfm.com/news/2523-a-stlucian-born-footballer-is-pursuing-his-dreams-to-play-professionally-in-germany

The Nuremberg and Regionalliga stuff is referring to another player. There isn't much information about Straith here, just he is looking for another club in Germany but would also considering playing outside of Germany.

Thanks for the correction, Grizz!

Actually I did forget to mention one other piece of information in the article. Apparently Wehen signed Straith at the start of the season because of their "Centre Back injury crisis". The article does not explicitly state it but implies that it was once these players returned that Straith lost his spot. The article also states that with the injury problems over the team has too many players with 28 and is trying to reduce its size. Obviously Straith did not impress enough to replace their starting and now fit CBs but it is still not the worst reason to get cut from the team, ie. you did a good job filling in when we needed you but now you are not needed any more. In such cases clubs will often cut players partly as a favour so they can go somewhere else where they can get playing time though obviously they hope they can find a club to take over the contract and save some money as well.

Archived