Gage playing 4th Division in Sweden?

Tuscan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just read the Canadian Exports article on MLSSoccer.com. What's up with Ethan Gage? 4th division football in Sweden? Once the promising D-mid for the Caps is now playing 4th div. footy in Sweden? The hell happened??

How old is he now anyway?

Maybe he will bounce of there to something new.

Fingers crossed, I remember seeing him at Swangaurd.

It's perplexing. I assumed he wanted to join a team whose season was underway to get immediate playing time but that he hasn't left to join another team's preseason is worrying.

Well he literally just joined the team he's with now, not sure that would go over well. I believe he's only signed for a few months, kinda like Bernier's last deal before he can (hopefully) move up the ladder.

• 3 months later...

It would appear Nykoping promoted to Division 1, ie 3rd tier of Swedish football. Trying to find signs of Ethan Gage there, but it's difficult at that level to find things on the web.

Ah wait here we go.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&a=http%3A%2F%2F131.253.14.66%2Fproxy.ashx%3Fh%3DICQ_zspYKzPo-hDDw4yF860CylYWh_AW%26a%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.svenskalag.se%252Fsquad.asp%253FteamID%253D6422

And from their team profiles...(Translated with BING)

Physically strong midfielder with attitude and enormous stature paired with delicious game understanding. Strong contributing factor to the team's stunning fall season.

Nickname: "E-Man"

Favorite Food: Pizza

Want to possibly become a model after a football career. Will not talk French with Ryan Gracia in the dressing room.

This is why young Canadians need to start off in MLS first.

Again not necessarily, although your argument to that effect is why I started looking up Gage again, he's one of the poster boys for your argument as I said in the other thread.

A lot of Canadians tried the MLS route and failed too, ie half of TFC this year, and may not resurface again...so it's hard to say. Gage was similar to that...went into the Reading system young, and never made it through...similar to a Cordon...whereas a Bekker is coming in with an already fairly mature game. We'll see how that goes...

I think we should wait for the MLS clubs to start producing something beyond the absolute minimum number of good Canadian players, (ie. the default number one could produce without any effort merely by being located in the country) before we start lauding the merits of developing in MLS.

Still a complicated question with no clear answer IMO. For those who can hack the physical requirements at a young age, MLS is probably a good route. Morgan, Henry, and Lindsay (before injury), all did / doing well. They get game experience and a decent level of commitment from their club.

For those that need a longer time to develop or are ultra-high potential (rare), I think europe is still the best bet. With no good development pathway between 18-23 for MLS players it leaves a lot of guys stranded on the bench struggling to find their place. Europe provides more depth, but you can get lost in their system as well, since they have much less of a vested interest in a foreign player.

NCAA deeply flawed, but is also a good alternative at this point IMO.

Many young players break through at an early age because they are athletically gifted and posses high on pitch intelligence. Gage rarely made a mistake but was a poor passer of the ball with no offensive ability and no technical skills.

I concur completely. perhaps, we are asking the wrong here when we say:

"Once the promising D-mid for the Caps i(now playing 4th div. footy in Sweden), what happen?"

Instead we should be asking: why was he deemed promising to begin with? personally, i did not see anything from his play at the at the U20 NT to suggest that he warranted that tag.

I concur completely. perhaps, we are asking the wrong here when we say:

"Once the promising D-mid for the Caps i(now playing 4th div. footy in Sweden), what happen?"

Instead we should be asking: why was he deemed promising to begin with? personally, i did not see anything from his play at the at the U20 NT to suggest that he warranted that tag.

He just appeared to be a bit of a man amongst boys from a physical standpoint at times. Absolutely nothing technically to impress anyone. Hence the problems with Canadian soccer in the last 20 years.

He just appeared to be a bit of a man amongst boys from a physical standpoint at times. Absolutely nothing technically to impress anyone. Hence the problems with Canadian soccer in the last 20 years.

I feel that, unfortunately, a lot of people with hockey background do get easily impressed by that kind of thing, because in hockey for defencemen that so often works out in the end. I may be one of those people.

Archived