Gage playing 4th Division in Sweden?

Tuscan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, johnyb said:

Australia has 5 tiers?! Wow, CPL can't come soon enough. 

No, there's not. It's not a professional league - there's one national league. Then there are state leagues. I'm not sure how the 2nd division Victorian State League equals 5th division. Maybe someone has subjectively concluded it's the 5th best league in Aus after (1) A-league (the only fully professional league); (2) Vic state league 1; (3) NSW state league 1; and (4) South Australia state league 1.  

6 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

No, there's not. It's not a professional league - there's one national league. Then there are state leagues. I'm not sure how the 2nd division Victorian State League equals 5th division. Maybe someone has subjectively concluded it's the 5th best league in Aus after (1) A-league (the only fully professional league); (2) Vic state league 1; (3) NSW state league 1; and (4) South Australia state league 1.  

Yes, it is the 5th tier.  It goes all the way down to the 13th tier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_soccer_league_system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_State_League_Division_2

I do not think anyone is saying it is the 5th best league in Australia.  It is just a league which plays at the 5th tier and nothing more.

Think what people are missing is that the tiers go A League (1), NPL Victoria (2), NPL Victoria 2 (3), Victoria League (4), Victoria League 2 (5). This is fast approaching pub league level by the times you get through that many regional tiers, so think the main attraction is probably getting the foot in the door in terms of getting paid to coach.

20 hours ago, Toje said:

Yes, it is the 5th tier.  It goes all the way down to the 13th tier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_soccer_league_system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_State_League_Division_2

I do not think anyone is saying it is the 5th best league in Australia.  It is just a league which plays at the 5th tier and nothing more.

I assumed by tiers you meant professional - which Australia clearly doesn't have. But if you're counting amateur, then sure there's 13 tiers. And 5th tier appears to place 22-32 leagues ahead of Vic League 2 (depending which one he's in). 

19 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think what people are missing is that the tiers go A League (1), NPL Victoria (2), NPL Victoria 2 (3), Victoria League (4), Victoria League 2 (5). This is fast approaching pub league level by the times you get through that many regional tiers, so think the main attraction is probably getting the foot in the door in terms of getting paid to coach.

I am not sure that tier would pay, actually. Or not much anyway.

On 2018-03-17 at 3:01 PM, Vince193 said:

I don't know if i want a guy in the 5th division of Australian soccer to be part of the CPL. What kind of level are we trying to achieve with this league?

Sober up, who says he wants to play CPL? He's just getting by doing what he knows... Regardless, CPL has to start somewhere. You can't expect the entire first crop of players to be archetypal blue-chip prospects. Canadian journeymen will absolutely be in the mix.  

Gage is the kind of player I hope the league can help.  Guys who had promise then went overseas, things didnt work out and maybe a year in Hamilton/WPg/Halifax in a mainly CDN league might get him back on track.  If we are just going to poach the guys who already have jobs elsewhere then that doesnt help much eh?  Think of the keepers bouncing around not playing more than a handful of games a year.  I hope this time next year we are talking about more than a few "feel good" stories of CDN player people thought were done that had their carer revived by the CPL.  

On 3/17/2018 at 10:01 AM, Vince193 said:

I don't know if i want a guy in the 5th division of Australian soccer to be part of the CPL. What kind of level are we trying to achieve with this league?

To be Clear I wasn't advocating for Gage to come to the CPL. I was surprised and pointing out that Australia seems to have a clearly defined pyramid from Amateur to Semi-pro to Pro. Something we should envy, and something CPL will obviously help with.

Archived