Gage playing 4th Division in Sweden?

Tuscan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A guy I played college soccer with about 10 years ago had family in Sweden and went over there to play in the 3rd or 4th division. He was an average AMSL player at best so for Ethan Gage to be playing there is pretty sad. Coincidentally, Ethan's from the same town I play soccer in and some guys from my team who know him where out kicking the ball around with him this summer when he was home. He had just been cut from Reading and said he didn't know where he was going for next season, I guess this is where he ended up.

• 2 years later...

Hope this isn't too much of a thread bump, but Steven Sandor wrote a fantastic article in the latest issue of Plastic Pitch on Ethan Gage. I can't link it because it's on an online app on my phone, plus you anyone interested should really support the magazine and buy a copy anyways. However, a few notes from the interview:

- Gage lost his passion for football while at Reading. Wanted to quit the game while he was in England

- Has been dealing with ACL and hamstring issues this year, hence the lack of action with Baerum until a few weeks ago.

- No interest in returning to North America right now

Hope this isn't too much of a thread bump, but Steven Sandor wrote a fantastic article in the latest issue of Plastic Pitch on Ethan Gage. I can't link it because it's on an online app on my phone, plus you anyone interested should really support the magazine and buy a copy anyways. However, a few notes from the interview:

- Gage lost his passion for football while at Reading. Wanted to quit the game while he was in England

- Has been dealing with ACL and hamstring issues this year, hence the lack of action with Baerum until a few weeks ago.

- No interest in returning to North America right now

That quote right off the top is powerful and painful stuff.

Tell that to Craig Forrest, Frank Yallop, Jason de Vos, Paul Stalteri, Mike Klukowski, Julian de Guzman, Jason Bent, Lars Hirschfeld, Josh Simpson, Atiba Hutchinson, etc.

That was before there was 3 soccer leagues in Canada and the U.S. Look at Landon Donovan rotting in Germany, coming to MLS and then going back to Europe and having success at Everton.

Im just saying that for a lot of young guys, they might have a better chance to develop in MLS or NASL today, rather than getting lost in the stack in Europe. 

I don't agree with the idea that some players shouldn't go to Europe. Players should pick the place where they will get the highest quality training and until recently that was exclusively Europe. We are all fans here and more often than not we put the cart before the horse regarding players. Most players do not become pro's, end of Story. Gage was never that good and he said he wanted to quit, that shows a lack of desire in my opinion. Being u20 player of the year isn't a surefire way to judge future success.

Ryan Gyaki

Nana Attakora (twice)

Ethan Gage

I don't agree with the idea that some players shouldn't go to Europe. Players should pick the place where they will get the highest quality training and until recently that was exclusively Europe. We are all fans here and more often than not we put the cart before the horse regarding players. Most players do not become pro's, end of Story. Gage was never that good and he said he wanted to quit, that shows a lack of desire in my opinion. Being u20 player of the year isn't a surefire way to judge future success.

Ryan Gyaki

Nana Attakora (twice)

Ethan Gage

Sounds very much like his mental health played a negative role. In that case it may not be passion or skill but simply inability to mentally cope with the amount of change you're experiencing.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Gage won Canadian u20 player of the year in 2010.  Whitecaps prospect who if I remember right left for a contract with Reading.  When things didn't work out in England his career dropped off very quickly.  We love it when our players leave MLS academies for European dreams but careers can get stuck in either place.  It's easy to get lost over there with a new crop of European prospects coming into the picture every year plus the pipeline of young African and South American talent.  The coaching and training atmosphere may be better but you can very easily disappear in the lower divisions for the rest of your career.

Archived