Top NCAA Prospects

Seymour and Thomas disappeared off their teams in October. Both were key players on their respective squads all season up until leaving and I haven't been able to find a reason for either.

Another really impressive year by a Canadian was had by Mackenzie Pridham of Cal Poly, he registered 11 goals and 1 assist in 19 matches. Next year is his senior year and if he can build on that he should be in with a shot at being drafted.

Emery Welshman and Daniel Haber were named to Collegesportsmadness.com All-America second team. Pretty impressive accomplishment.

Best of luck to all of our guys, especially the seniors looking to get drafted. I'd really like Bekker to step it up here, he's projected to go in the 2nd round but his stock may drop with his low numbers.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some good post-season honours from some of our Sigma FC grads from the NCAA this year.

Kyle Bekker (All First-team ACC)

http://www.bceagles.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/110812aaa.html

Emery Welshman (All First-team Pac-12)

http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/111312aaa.html

Greg Ranjitsingh (All Second team Atlantic-Sun Conference, he was conference player of the week five times, and A-Sun performer of the month for September, all-sports)

http://www.mercerbears.com/sports/msoc/2012-13/releases/20121106sgw4zb

Mark Anthony Gonzalez (All-Freshman team Missouri Valley Conference)

http://www.gopurpleaces.com/news/2012/11/8/MSOC_1108124229.aspx

Domenic Samuel (All Second Team Northeast-10 Conference, NCAA Div. II)

http://www.snhupenmen.com/sports/msoc/2012-13/releases/201211012f3adh

Does anyone have a good handle on what the developmental trajectory of these players could be. It is certainly beyond my scope and knowledge base (and outside of my ability to pay attention to due to time). How many of these guys could end up either playing professionally as journeymen, starting in MLS, moving overseas and having success, and/or playing for the CMNT? There are dozens of players listed in this thread ... a shocking number actually and that can only be a good thing assuming that some of these players will be able to make the jump to pro and potentially be standouts.

Anyone have a read on that?

Potential for a lot of Canadian content in this one:

Cleveland St. (Al James, Cameron Eisses, Cazz Warren, Zach Ellis-Hayden) vs Michigan St. (Jay Chapman, Parker Seymour)

Nov. 15th, 1PM EST

Cazz Warren and Zach Ellis-Hayden featured in every game for Cleveland and are tied for second on the team in goals with 4. Cameron Eisses featured in 16 games, starting 12 and Al James only appeared in 4 games.

Jay Chapman finished second on the team in scoring with 4 goals while starting 18 games. Parker Seymour appeared in 12 games, starting 10.

Xavier vs. University of Kentucky (Callum Irving)

Nov. 15th, 7PM EST

Irving appeared in 3 games, winning one.

UMBC (Milo Kapor) vs. Old Dominion

Nov. 15th, 7PM EST

Kapor started all 20 games for UMBC. He led the team in assists with 13, while also contributing 3 goals.

Winner of Above vs. University of North Carolina (Daniel Tannous)

Nov. 18th, 5PM EST

Tannous featured in 12 games, starting 3.

Charlotte (Anthony Perez) vs. UAB (Chase Wickham)

Nov. 15th, 7PM EST

Perez featured in 19 games, starting 18 of those while scoring 2 goals.

Wickham started all 19 games for UAB, scoring 5 goals.

Syracuse (Skylar Thomas, Jordan Murrell) vs. Cornell (Daniel Haber)

Nov. 15th, 7PM EST

Murrell started all 18 games for Syracuse, scoring twice. Thomas started 11 games, scoring two as well.

Haber featured in all 16 games for Cornell, starting 15 and scoring 18 goals and 7 assists.

Florida Gulf Coast (Nathan Ingham, Daniel Stanese, Jelani Smith) vs. University of South Florida

Nov. 15th, 7PM EST

Smith featured in 18 games, starting 6 and scoring 3 goals. Stanese started 17 of 18 games, scoring once. Ingham played all 18 games for FGCU and posted a record of 11 wins, 5 losses and 2 draws.

Niagara (Rene De Zorzi, Michael Hanton, Bryan Da Cruz, Kyle Moraldo) vs. Michigan (Kofi Opare)

Nov. 15th, 7PM EST

De Zorzi, Hanton and Da Cruz all appeared in all 18 games for Niagara while Moraldo made 12 appearances. Da Cruz and De Zorzi were second and third on the team in points with 5 goals, 6 assists and 4 goals, 4 assists respectively. Hanton also scored 2.

Opare featured in 15 of Michigan's 20 games, scoring 3 goals.

Boston College (Kyle Bekker) vs. Northeastern

Nov. 15th, 6PM EST

Bekker played 16 of 18 games, scoring once and assisting on 4.

Winner of above vs. UConn (Jonathan Goodridge, Flo Liu, Allando Matheson)

Nov. 18th, 1PM EST

Liu played started 13 of the 15 games he played, scoring twice and assisting on two more. Matheson featured in 16 games, starting only 3 but still put seven goals and one assist on the scoreboard. Goodridge got spot work, appearing in 5 games.

Winner of Lafayette and Virginia vs. New Mexico (Ben McKendry)

Nov. 18th, 9PM EST

McKendry played in all 20 games, starting 12. He scored seven times and assisted on two.

Winthrop (Daniel Di Biagio, Adriano Negri) vs. Southern Methodist University

Nov. 15th, 8PM EST

Negri played 17 games, starting 11 and scoring once. Di Biagio made 13 appearances, starting 10 of them.

Elon vs. Coastal Carolina (Scott Shewfelt)

Nov. 15th, 7PM EST

Shewfelt played in 5 games, started 3 of those and posted a record of 2 wins, 0 losses and 0 draws.

Michigan St., UMBC, Charlotte, Syracuse, Michigan and Coastal Carolina (I think) still alive after round 1.

Just curious, how many of those listed are quasi-Canadians, meaning they are currently eligible for other nations besides Canada as well? I notice that a lot of players that get listed in some of these forums have a tenuous link to Canada at best, like a mother that was born here, but has never actually been to Canada. Are any of these players sort of quasi-Canadians like that, or are they all definite Canadian prospects?

(Not to imply that anyone is NOT a prospect, eligible for Canada is eligible for Canada...I just mean definite as in they are Canadian and only Canadian)

Does anyone have a good handle on what the developmental trajectory of these players could be. It is certainly beyond my scope and knowledge base (and outside of my ability to pay attention to due to time). How many of these guys could end up either playing professionally as journeymen, starting in MLS, moving overseas and having success, and/or playing for the CMNT? There are dozens of players listed in this thread ... a shocking number actually and that can only be a good thing assuming that some of these players will be able to make the jump to pro and potentially be standouts.

Tough to say as we rarely get to see these players either. Many of them play for TFC and Vancouver as well so those who catch those games frequently would have a good idea. I think Bekker has a good shot at being a CMNT player in the future, he is head and shoulders above the average college player because he is so technically gifted. He's been a member of the famed Ajax academy in the past as well. The fact that he put up only one goal and four assists and was named to the ACC first-team is pretty telling. I think he'll go in the 2nd round if he doesn't choose Europe.

Emery Welshman will be drafted this year as well. Portland Timbers have had their eye on him and I'm sure the Canadian clubs have as well. He should be at the combine.

Not sure if Drew Beckie will be drafted, I think he holds an American passport so that will help his chances. He might get a combine invite but I wasn't overly impressed with him at the U23s.

It may not be the best possible route to a pro-career but it doesn't seem to be the worst one either. Just off the top of my head Occean, Friend, Jakovic, Simpson, Bernier and Ricketts all played US college soccer though Bernier only did one year before turning pro. Not a bad list and if anything the level of play and training has improved at US colleges so hopefully this group will produce a few national team players.

It may not be the best possible route to a pro-career but it doesn't seem to be the worst one either. Just off the top of my head Occean, Friend, Jakovic, Simpson, Bernier and Ricketts all played US college soccer though Bernier only did one year before turning pro. Not a bad list and if anything the level of play and training has improved at US colleges so hopefully this group will produce a few national team players.

But if my memory is correct, many of those past players played at schools that were not noted as top programs. For example Ricketts, i believe, played at school that was not even Div 1 at the time. Whereas in the last two to three years, We have started seeing Cnds in some top ranked schools.

University of North Carolina (Daniel Tannous) vs. Fairleigh Dickinson

Nov. 25, 5pm EST

Tannous has not had any playing time in this tournament so far.

Georgetown vs. Syracuse (Skylar Thomas, Jordan Murrell)

Nov. 25, 1pm EST

Murrell played 188 minutes in two games so far. Thomas has yet to appear.

New Mexico (Ben McKendry) vs. UConn (Jonathan Goodridge, Flo Liu, Allando Matheson)

Nov. 25, 1pm EST

McKendry's played 90 minutes in one game so far, registering 5 shots.

Liu's played 90 minutes in one game so far and Matheson appeared for 28 minutes in that game.

Coastal Carolina (Scott Shewfelt) vs. Maryland

Nov. 25, 5pm EST

Shewfelt has yet to appear in any game action.

Does anyone have a good handle on what the developmental trajectory of these players could be.

I don't have a good handle on it, but this is my perception: discounting the kids who come from the MLS academies, I'm hoping for one or two diamonds in the rough to appear on the scene in 3 or 4 years like Jackovic or Soldade.

I think we are seeing more Canadian content in the NCAA this year as it seems like a desirable supplement to the academy, so there are a number of those kids who have real shots at playing regularly in the MLS. I'm more interested in the unknowns that come out of nowhere though. There could be one or two in that group.

I don't have a good handle on it, but this is my perception: discounting the kids who come from the MLS academies, I'm hoping for one or two diamonds in the rough to appear on the scene in 3 or 4 years like Jackovic or Soldade.

I think we are seeing more Canadian content in the NCAA this year as it seems like a desirable supplement to the academy, so there are a number of those kids who have real shots at playing regularly in the MLS. I'm more interested in the unknowns that come out of nowhere though. There could be one or two in that group.

Hoping for the same thing ... although it would be cool if there were one or two (or three) real success stories with several decent contributors and that every year there would be a couple more and then a couple more ...

According to Matheson TFC doesn't own his home grown rights..

https://twitter.com/Odnalla

If TFC invited him back to train in the summer and he accepted they could sign him as a homegrown. However, they have not done so to date and it sounds like Allando doesn't want anything to do with TFC at this point so he should be free to go into the draft. How his situation differs from Josh Janniere I can only speculate, but likely that Janniere didn't play in the NCAA and that might be why TFC retained his rights and Colorado had to trade a pick.

Emery Welshman (#15) and Kyle Bekker (#23).

Kofi Opare (#37) has ties to Canada but has played for the US U20 team.

Safe to say Opare is ours if we want him, he has little to no chance of playing for the US and lives in Canada now.

A bit surprised to see Welshman at #15. I think Montreal will grab at least one of these guys to bolster their Canuck content. Both Welshman and Bekker would be great picks for any MLS team so I wouldn't be surprised to see a Canadian team jump the gun just to be safe.

Bekker can play across midfield so I think he'll get some decent minutes in his first year in MLS.

"base on the mls rule i have no connection to #torontofc"

I would interpret that as it not being possible

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2012/01/09/2838136/monday-mls-breakdown-application-of-the-home-grown-player

http://www.redbullsacademy.com/academy/overview/homegrown_player_policy.aspx

I don't see how Matheson doesn't fit HG criteria?

Archived