Top NCAA Prospects

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
About his size??? His ****ing size?

I am getting sick of people talking about players be too ****ing small. In 2013 people should not still be going on about this. If anything it's holding back football in North America.

Not sure if anyone has been to a senior academy game for TFC in the past year but there seems to be some real talented footballer and none of them are big at all. So I find Payne comments really troubling. Here is what he said to John about Bekker:

“He’s a good player and he had a very good combine. But I think there’s some questions about his size, and whether he can adapt to the speed and the physical nature of MLS. It’s really a size issue with him,” Payne explained.

When Payne is saying size, I believe what he means is musculature and strength, not height as some people often misconstrue. So they pick Bekker. Maybe Payne is gonna convince him to hit the gym.

That's how I understood it. Maybe he meant something like Bekker lacks athleticism which is, IMO, a legitimate concern for a pro team when assessing a player who's coming from a lower level.

Anyways, good to see TFC picking him.

I'm really quite surprised Montreal didn't try to pick up either one of these or Ashton Bennett.

Montreal doesn't really need someone with Beckie's skillset (and he has a US passport so he could be picked by any club in MLS)

Opare and Bennett aren't going to fit into the Montreal system. good Athletes, not great technical players. Montreal has better players coming up in their U21 program.

IMHO Bekker was the one guy that would have made the most sense for Montreal to pick but he was too good to slide that far

Montreal doesn't really need someone with Beckie's skillset (and he has a US passport so he could be picked by any club in MLS)

Opare and Bennett aren't going to fit into the Montreal system. good Athletes, not great technical players. Montreal has better players coming up in their U21 program.

IMHO Bekker was the one guy that would have made the most sense for Montreal to pick but he was too good to slide that far

Them having good players coming up in their U-21 strikes me as the strongest argument here, as I'm simply wondering at this point who their 3rd Canadian player is. That's why I sort of expected them to fill a spot there, although Ashton Bennett would not count at this point, of course. What's the word on the street, are they going to bring anyone in particular up to the first squad?

Them having good players coming up in their U-21 strikes me as the strongest argument here, as I'm simply wondering at this point who their 3rd Canadian player is. That's why I sort of expected them to fill a spot there, although Ashton Bennett would not count at this point, of course. What's the word on the street, are they going to bring anyone in particular up to the first squad?

they had a few of their U21's play lights out while in Italy so I'm sure there will be a ton of competition among those kids to win a roster spot. it is a nice situation to have. I can't speculate who the front runners are but if my memory serves, the kids that did best on the italy trip were Messoudi and Ilcu. If the USL/MLS deal goes through and the Impact put a reserve team in that league, I could see Crepeau scoring a contract too and being the starting GK for that program....he should not be rotting on the bench just to fill a roster spot

they had a few of their U21's play lights out while in Italy so I'm sure there will be a ton of competition among those kids to win a roster spot. it is a nice situation to have. I can't speculate who the front runners are but if my memory serves, the kids that did best on the italy trip were Messoudi and Ilcu. If the USL/MLS deal goes through and the Impact put a reserve team in that league, I could see Crepeau scoring a contract too and being the starting GK for that program....he should not be rotting on the bench just to fill a roster spot

I'd hope not. Didn't they also draft a keeper? But yeah Crepeau is definitely the first name that came to my mind too

The 2 names that Nick de Santis mentioned to be frontrunners for that Canadian spot are Wandrille Lefevre and Maxim Tissot. They had a great year in the CSL and Lefevre impressed me a lot in a reserve lague match against DC United last year. Anyways, competition will be good for everyone.

Like Dino (VPjr), I think it's not right to have Crépeau on the first team unless he's at the very least the backup goalkeeper. Jason Beaulieu played most of the games for the Academy team this year in net.

Is it too early to start looking at next year? Are there any seniors next year that are expected to be drafted? Or are the remaining quality Canadians at US schools all tied to MLs academies?

Mackenzie Pridham grew up in California, but was born in T.O. Top prospect. Plays with former Caps res grads Nolan Moore and Ian Clark.

http://www.gopoly.com/sports/msoc/2012-13/bios/pridham_mackenzie_jsn7

Is it too early to start looking at next year? Are there any seniors next year that are expected to be drafted? Or are the remaining quality Canadians at US schools all tied to MLs academies?

Though he won't be a Sr., I think Allando Matheson at UConn will dominate. He has also indicated he is not interested in signing a HG deal with TFC and considers the organization a joke. It's possible if he has a good agent he could sign outside of MLS.

Jordan Ongaro at San Diego St. is another possible MLSer and I'd give good odds that Simon Gomez at Duquesne bounces back from a bad year to torch the A-10 and sign with the league as well.

Though he won't be a Sr., I think Allando Matheson at UConn will dominate. He has also indicated he is not interested in signing a HG deal with TFC and considers the organization a joke. It's possible if he has a good agent he could sign outside of MLS.

Jordan Ongaro at San Diego St. is another possible MLSer and I'd give good odds that Simon Gomez at Duquesne bounces back from a back year to torch the A-10 and sign with the league as well.

Let's see how Allando does with getting a starting role first. He came off the bench for his first two year. Although his coach at UCONN, has stated he thinks he has the tools to play pro. It certainly seems that he has no interest in TFC.

Ben McKendry at UNM, Brody Huitema at Duke, Daniel Stanese at UFI.

Stanese looks to be in Germany on trial right now. I get the feeling he is constantly exploring his options and won't be in the NCAA for 4 years. I think the u20 world cup (should we make it) might be a springboard for him and couple other players, at least that might be their intention.

Stanese is a Freshman at Florida Gulf Coast...3 more years to go!

FGC instead of UFI, as I said. If Stanese and McKendry continue to impress, they could easily get HG deals after next year. McKendry is year older than most sophmores in any case. I imagine Ben Fisk will choose to try and get a scholarship if the Whitecaps do not sign him out of camp this year.

Archived