Top NCAA Prospects

For a player like Stanese he's likely heading down there to play 1 season of NCAA and then coming back in the spring to sign a contract with the Caps.

He could have spent the season training full-time with the USSDA U-18s, though; the other guys I listed didn't have that option.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He could have spent the season training full-time with the USSDA U-18s, though; the other guys I listed didn't have that option.

Oh yes, the incorrectly named U19 program...hmmm, well some would argue NCAA is better, but...still doesn't add up. If the Caps aren't offering a contract they're stupid, this kid is going to be a solid MLS player someday soon, and if the kid is leaving the Caps permanently then he needs his head examined if his destination of choice is the Atlantic Sun conference.

Just because he plays college doesn't mean he's left the Caps. If he trains 'x' amount of days per year with the Caps (PDL) then he's still Caps property.

I hope that's the case with Irving, Rodriguez, McKendry, & Stanese. We'll know next May if they intend to stay with the team or are going on there own.

Just because he plays college doesn't mean he's left the Caps. If he trains 'x' amount of days per year with the Caps (PDL) then he's still Caps property.

I hope that's the case with Irving, Rodriguez, McKendry, & Stanese. We'll know next May if they intend to stay with the team or are going on there own.

I wasn't saying he had left or would leave the Caps, but rather that IF he was leaving then both parties are really making bad decisions. I still think he'll pull a Stinson and come back and sign next spring, but Lord Bob does make a point that his development would be closer to home with the U19's.

Oh yes, the incorrectly named U19 program...hmmm, well some would argue NCAA is better, but...still doesn't add up. If the Caps aren't offering a contract they're stupid, this kid is going to be a solid MLS player someday soon, and if the kid is leaving the Caps permanently then he needs his head examined if his destination of choice is the Atlantic Sun conference.

While the quality of play in the NCAA is certainly higher than the USSDA U-18, the quality (and quantity!) of training certainly isn't in Stanese's case. And that's what makes the real difference.

Academically, I'm a little puzzled by FGCU choice. In soccer terms, it's fine -ranked somewhere in the low 40s. He's 18, he trialed in Europe, he clearly had hope for a pro contract with the Caps (based on some tweets I read), so why wouldn't he go to university like every other 18 year-old? Training is great, but there's also something to be said for living away from home and trying to make your own way. It helps your maturity, which is also pretty important for a young centre back. His US passport makes him a virtual lock for MLS, so I wouldn't worry about him too much.

I wasn't saying he had left or would leave the Caps, but rather that IF he was leaving then both parties are really making bad decisions. I still think he'll pull a Stinson and come back and sign next spring, but Lord Bob does make a point that his development would be closer to home with the U19's.

agreed.

Alex Hainault (Andrew's younger brother) is also playing in NCAA Div1 for Saint Francis university where he played almost every game as a starter in his freshman year and has been named as Co-Captain of the squad in his Sophomore year. As soon as he was cleared by NCAA he went on to play with the semi-pro team of Saint-Leonard this summer while back home.

http://sfuathletics.com/news/2012/8/23/MSOC_0823123610.aspx

There's a little more detail on the Top Drawer Soccer rankings, with the top 20 players from each of the 20+ conferences.

Sophomores:

Jason Mills, IPFW, 5th

Myles Stanley, IPFW, 5th

Jason Mills left IPFW. He's over in France right now and I wouldn't be surprised if he turns up on the roster of a good French side soon enough. He's a good one to keep an eye on. He's Technical, pacey, strong/tough (always played a few years up as a youth in the SAAC Academy system and in the OSL U-21 league)

Jason Mills left IPFW. He's over in France right now and I wouldn't be surprised if he turns up on the roster of a good French side soon enough. He's a good one to keep an eye on. He's Technical, pacey, strong/tough (always played a few years up as a youth in the SAAC Academy system and in the OSL U-21 league)

Jason is trialing with Oly. Marseille's reserve side.

• 2 weeks later...

After the first few weeks of the season, Daniel Haber (Jr.) of Cornell is leading the nation with 6 goals in 4 games. Pat Lepera (Sr.) has 4 goals in 6 matches for Detroit, while maybe Canadian Kofi Opare (Sr.) has 2 goals in 4 games from CB for Michigan. Darren Jones (Sr.) has chipped with a goal and an assist for Western Michigan, who are scratching at the top 25, while Jordon Ongaro (Jr.) has 2 goals in 4 games for San Diego St. Nathan Igman (So.) has quietly taken over the goalkeeping duties at Florida Gulf Coast and has two consecutive clean sheets, with 3 wins on the trot. Finally defender Anthony Perez (Jr) scored against South Carolina, as his 49ers are poised to challenge for the 1st overall ranking if their form continues.

Bekker, Zadro, Gobeil, Welshman, and Wickham all very quiet thus far. Beckie, I think, has picked up a knock.

Wait, so why didn't we call up Kofi Opare to our U20s? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kofi_Opare

And how is he eligible for the States if he moved to Canada from Ghana and didn't move to the States until he was university age? And why didn't we call him to the U23s? Strange, he would have gone to high school with Teibert according to his wiki.

Haber is on fire right now, I think he has 2 or 3 assists to go along with those goals. I think Bekker and Zadro have been injured, I didn't see their names in a few boxscores I was looking at.

Big Men on Campus

New Mexico freshman Ben McKendry – The Vancouver Whitecaps Academy graduate and Canadian youth international had a monster weekend off the bench for New Mexico, scoring his first collegiate goal, a 66th-minute game-winner on Friday night vs. Dartmouth. He followed that up with a 109th-minute corner, headed in by Carson Baldinger in the Lobos' overtime victory over UC Irvine on Sunday.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/09/17/mls-campus-martinez-stars-maryland-takes-no-1

http://www.golobos.com/allaccess/?media=334754

Alex Hainault (Andrew's younger brother) is also playing in NCAA Div1 for Saint Francis university where he played almost every game as a starter in his freshman year and has been named as Co-Captain of the squad in his Sophomore year. As soon as he was cleared by NCAA he went on to play with the semi-pro team of Saint-Leonard this summer while back home.

http://sfuathletics.com/news/2012/8/23/MSOC_0823123610.aspx

Please keep us updated on your son's progress at Saint Francis!

Archived