Top NCAA Prospects

Haber never seemed to be in the conversation for a GA deal despite his great year. Cornell and the Ivy League probably didn't help. Good for him. BTW, Sebastian Ibagenha turned down a homegrown offer to get his last year at Duke in, looks like Haber is more anxious to try his luck in pro sports.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely. And no sarcasm intended previously. He dominated the NCAA and should be called if we're calling up a guy like Bekker who did much less against similar opposition. Although somebody almost convinced me FIFA regs trump the law of return, I'm still uneasy he could play for Israel fairly soon.

Says in the article he is Jewish... did that help him get signed there or something? Why mention that. (Besides obviously being in Israel?, some way to make fans like him more?)

I could be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure the Israeli league only allows 5 non-israeli players per team. Given that he's Jewish he automatically qualifies for Israeli citizenship and thus doesn't count as a foreigner.

Could just be another way of saying he counts as a domestic signing.

The reason a guy like Bekker is being called and a guy like Habber who had a much better college season than Bekker is simple, Bekker has gone through the system, meaning he played on the provincial teams, he played on the youth national teams Habber has not, Habber again was one of those many players that for whatever reason did not play on any of these OSA or CSA youth teams, therefore even if presently a guy like Habber is just as good or even better than a guy like Bekker, Bekker gets chosen because he went through the system Habber did not. For me it's a no brainer if your going to call up a guy like Bekker then how can you not call up a player like Habber who just finished having a better season in college ball than Bekker.

Let's take a practical approach to this. He just signed with the club so he and the CSA probably don't want to effect his first impression. Also, if the CSA continue down this path of building the player pool, don't be surprised if the guys in Israel are called up for the Japan game in Qatar. I would also assume a cheaper flight would be an incentive.

Why are people assuming that Haber wasn't called?

Being called and accepting the call are two separate things. Even if he was asked to attend the camp, he would have likely turned it down in order to sign with his new club.

The reason a guy like Bekker is being called and a guy like Habber who had a much better college season than Bekker is simple, Bekker has gone through the system, meaning he played on the provincial teams, he played on the youth national teams Habber has not, Habber again was one of those many players that for whatever reason did not play on any of these OSA or CSA youth teams, therefore even if presently a guy like Habber is just as good or even better than a guy like Bekker, Bekker gets chosen because he went through the system Habber did not. For me it's a no brainer if your going to call up a guy like Bekker then how can you not call up a player like Habber who just finished having a better season in college ball than Bekker.

Guys, you're looking waaaay to into this. There's a simple reason Why Bekker was called and Haber was not. Bekker is a senior, Haber was a junior. Haber foregoed his senior year to sign that professional contract. Unless you're a generation adidas player, you have to be a senior to attend the combine.

Kofi Opare singled out by MLSSoccer.com as having a good first day at the combine.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/2013-mls-combine-off-day-observations.html

1- Day One was a good day for Canadian players. Kyle Bekker, Emery Welshman and Kofi Opare all played well and boosted their stock. The three Canadian teams surely took notice, not that they weren’t already aware of the trio.

The league’s non-Canadian teams surely took notice as well and that is only going to increase their stock. That said, their status as international players for non-Canadian teams means all three will remain more highly rated by Montreal, Toronto FC and Vancouver. If Bekker, Welshman and Opare keep playing well then it will force Canadian teams to pull the trigger on grabbing them sooner in the draft.

I think you can pencil in Welshmen to Montreal at 9.

I was going to say it's going to be Kyle Bekker.

Just a bit of speculation but looking at the details... Montreal seemed to be annoyed at the typical low soccer IQ North American professional. They need domestics, but ones that can fit in with the "european" culture of the club.

Since he's signed already it means he has club guaranteeing that they'll take him in the first round if he's available. Most likely a Canadian club that's made the offer. TFCs picks are too far up the board, so that eliminates them. Do the whitecaps need a player who's left footed to fit in next to another DM in a 4-2-3-1 or a left sided midfielder? Possible, but less likely IMO.

I was going to say it's going to be Kyle Bekker.

Just a bit of speculation but looking at the details... Montreal seemed to be annoyed at the typical low soccer IQ North American professional. They need domestics, but ones that can fit in with the "european" culture of the club.

Since he's signed already it means he has club guaranteeing that they'll take him in the first round if he's available. Most likely a Canadian club that's made the offer. TFCs picks are too far up the board, so that eliminates them. Do the whitecaps need a player who's left footed to fit in next to another DM in a 4-2-3-1 or a left sided midfielder? Possible, but less likely IMO.

I have no doubt the Impact would like to have Bekker, but they can grab him with their second first round pick to fulfill the guarantee. Welshman fits their huge hole at striker/winger better, and they have five central midfielders who can reasonably compete for a starting spot right now.

Interesting tidbit from SBI:

"Soccer By Ives:

Interesting bit of info on one o the prospects here. Michigan centerback Kofi Opare informed me that he is an American cititzen. The popular belief in MLS circles was that Opare was Canadian. He told me he is close to securing his Canadian citizenship, but the fact he has American citizenship (though his American father) is a major development. He goes from mid-to-late second round pick caliber to potentially garnering first-round consideration. He has shown well at the Combine. "

Seems odd, but it's actually good news. He'll be a domestic to every team in the league.

Archived