Top NCAA Prospects

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting tidbit from SBI:

"Soccer By Ives:

Interesting bit of info on one o the prospects here. Michigan centerback Kofi Opare informed me that he is an American cititzen. The popular belief in MLS circles was that Opare was Canadian. He told me he is close to securing his Canadian citizenship, but the fact he has American citizenship (though his American father) is a major development. He goes from mid-to-late second round pick caliber to potentially garnering first-round consideration. He has shown well at the Combine. "

Seems odd, but it's actually good news. He'll be a domestic to every team in the league.

Pretty sad that Ives is regarded as one of the top American journalists and doesn't realize Opare has been part of the US National set-up.

Pretty sad that Ives is regarded as one of the top American journalists and doesn't realize Opare has been part of the US National set-up.

When it comes to soccer coverage in North America, there's a lot that's left to be desired.

Take Dillion Power's performance on day one of the combine. People were describing that as everything from outstanding to extremely poor. Looks like a few writers got googly eyed over one well hit strike while others were horrified at his wastefulness in midfield.

When it comes to soccer coverage in North America, there's a lot that's left to be desired.

Take Dillion Power's performance on day one of the combine. People were describing that as everything from outstanding to extremely poor. Looks like a few writers got googly eyed over one well hit strike while others were horrified at his wastefulness in midfield.

No different than any other soccer journalists or scouts anywhere. As mentioned in Soccernomics, club scouts over-rate blonde players because they are more noticeable on the field.

Wileman seems to think he could crack the Top 5 based on his performance at the combine.

I don't know if TFC will want to risk Bekker falling to the Whitecaps at #5 as Rennie has already stated that he rates him, so I think he could even go #1 or 3... #2 is Carlos Alvarez to Chivas USA regardless so TFC could put whoever they want in those spots and I think "local boy goes #1" might be the perfect little story line building into a new season.

I cannot see Bekker going number one. The CB prospects in this draft came in as the most highly rated players, and I think they leave that way too. Bekker might have played well but there's still a gap between how he is valued compared to the top 2-3 prospects who have played well all year.

The Chivas manager could just as easily be playing games as telling the truth. I don't know why everyone is instantly taking what he says at face-value. If TFC was inclined to ransom Lopez (the other Mexican American) why not tell everybody you're picking Alvarez and see if they fall for it?

Depending on TFCs needs, Bekker could stretch to pick number three. But I think it's more likely he falls to between the 5-10 spot, which isn't actually falling at all when we considered how he was rated coming into this thing.

I cannot see Bekker going number one. The CB prospects in this draft came in as the most highly rated players, and I think they leave that way too. Bekker might have played well but there's still a gap between how he is valued compared to the top 2-3 prospects who have played well all year.

The Chivas manager could just as easily be playing games as telling the truth. I don't know why everyone is instantly taking what he says at face-value. If TFC was inclined to ransom Lopez (the other Mexican American) why not tell everybody you're picking Alvarez and see if they fall for it?

Depending on TFCs needs, Bekker could stretch to pick number three. But I think it's more likely he falls to between the 5-10 spot, which isn't actually falling at all when we considered how he was rated coming into this thing.

Well Alvarez was pulled out of the combine's last game and was quoted saying that Chivas told him they were taking him. I'm just saying that if MLSE wanted a storyline it could be there and they could still get their guy at #3 too.

Drew Beckie seems to have done well enough for couple of mock drafts having him picked in 2nd round

I can't believe he wasn't in the initial combine list. He is huge and quick, has technical ability, can play the right or center on the backline and has American and Canadian status. I'd like TFC to grab him.

Archived