The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

Guest GoGreen

Hoilett doesn't want to play for Canada, at least not yet, which means he's thinking about other nations. We have 63 pages on this guy, and he's declined invitations it's self explanatory. Me personally I'd love if he committed as he'd be a help, but as far discussing a player that clearly does not want to represent Canada I have no time for. The reason Canada gets treated the way they do (**********, deguzman etc.) is because we accept the fact we are not good enough and that players are entitled to weigh their options and put Canada at the bottom of the list, and we accept them with open arms. So brace yourselves as that's our future. Any Canadian player with dual eligibility is going to wait until all of their options are closed and come to Canada and get embraced by the fans who are greatful for any decent player to play for us internationally.

Hoilett doesn't want to play for Canada, at least not yet, which means he's thinking about other nations. We have 63 pages on this guy, and he's declined invitations it's self explanatory. Me personally I'd love if he committed as he'd be a help, but as far discussing a player that clearly does not want to represent Canada I have no time for. The reason Canada gets treated the way they do (**********, deguzman etc.) is because we accept the fact we are not good enough and that players are entitled to weigh their options and put Canada at the bottom of the list, and we accept them with open arms. So brace yourselves as that's our future. Any Canadian player with dual eligibility is going to wait until all of their options are closed and come to Canada and get embraced by the fans who are greatful for any decent player to play for us internationally.

Its a Pity that Associations with a territorial claim on a player through Birth, Residency or Junior Appearances etc cannot have this recorded by fifa. Thus if the Player "tarts' himself into a more Prolific country for very spirious reasons, they can demand a significant (and potentially prohibative) transfer fee.

I think all of us were hoping that Hoilett and JDG2 would have boosted the national team and possibly put us over the line to finally qualify for the World Cup - a quick fix like a couple of key signings could do for any club. The boost for the program and the appeal of the sport in general would have followed.

I was very positive about the prospect of these two guys joining but I've given up after hearing Hart's tone when asked about them. That combined with the constant thought that, 'If they're perfectly fine with having others do the hard work during this crucial qualifying stage and just want to take the reward of a possible World Cup spot without having contributed, how committed will they end up being to the national program?' Of course that's mainly directed at Junior since he is choosing not to play, without any obstacles to use as excuses.

I think it's becoming more and more clear that if we are going to qualify, we'll have to do it the hard way and keep developing a football culture and elite players over time. The good news is that football is growing, our MLS presence and culture is growing, the Voyageurs Cup is picking up steam (all games on TV!) and the CSA is slowly moving in the right direction so let's enjoy it. We just have to accept the fact that the national team is not a 4 or 8-year fix. It'll take a full generation at least, probably more. Big names like Hoilett and de Guzman will be the result of a solid program, not the catalyst for it like some of us were hoping.

Well everyone; with today's knowledge on Hoilett, JDG2, and now REB, I think the answer to all of this is quite clear.

We have to bootstrap our way into the World Cup. It was never going to be any different. We can no longer concern ourselves with the fairweather players and the fairweather fans. If we're going to become a true footballing nation (on the men's side at least), we have to do it in our own right, and sadly, in spite of many of our own people.

Of course that's mainly directed at Junior since he is choosing not to play, without any obstacles to use as excuses.

At least he is weighing his options silently unlike JDG2 who is playing the media in The Netherlands and in Canada. Assuming no call from team Great Britain, if Guatemala beats Jamaica in June and we win our games he will look at the CMNT very seriously. If only one of Jamaica or Canada makes it to the Hex, I think we will see a commitment by the end of October.

@RCF Did I miss something about REB not wanting to play for Canada? He's been a loyal servant, so please don't put him in the same boat with a guy that has never wanted to play for us until he saw that he couldn't play with his new country and a guy that has turned us down at every moment when called upon.

@RCF Did I miss something about REB not wanting to play for Canada? He's been a loyal servant, so please don't put him in the same boat with a guy that has never wanted to play for us until he saw that he couldn't play with his new country and a guy that has turned us down at every moment when called upon.

Via Twitter he said he was gutted about being left off the Canada roster for the first 3 WCQ games he when asked if he'd accept a call up from Ghana he said "no comment."

This is getting blown way out of proportion and this is why I hate Twitter, it's like a loaded Uzi.

Via Twitter he said he was gutted about being left off the Canada roster for the first 3 WCQ games he when asked if he'd accept a call up from Ghana he said "no comment."

This is getting blown way out of proportion and this is why I hate Twitter, it's like a loaded Uzi.

I may have over-reacted, but he also said on Twitter that if he wasn't included because he blew up at the official during OQ's he doesn't want to play for Canada at all because that's a stupid reason.

I may have over-reacted, but he also said on Twitter that if he wasn't included because he blew up at the official during OQ's he doesn't want to play for Canada at all because that's a stupid reason.

Why would you ask him if he'd play for Ghana?

Left that out but yes, (paraphrased) ThiKu asked if he thought it was because of what happened at the U23 tournament and he replied that if that's the reason than he didn't want to play for Canada because that's dumb.

I hope no one reads into this that he doesn't want to play for Canada. Twitter is a dangerous thing that allows people spout off what they're thinking without concern, I'm not saying that's what happened here I just hope that people don't take REB's or anyone else's tweets out of context.

I just hope that people don't take REB's or anyone else's tweets out of context.

Always likely to happen on this forum :rolleyes:

Since REB's form has been good and Hart wanted to see him in February, can we assume Hart saw something during the U-23's? Didn't like the red card REB got in anger?

I have just witnessed how idle and pure speculation on my part seriously escalated.

Left that out but yes, (paraphrased) ThiKu asked if he thought it was because of what happened at the U23 tournament and he replied that if that's the reason than he didn't want to play for Canada because that's dumb.

I hope no one reads into this that he doesn't want to play for Canada. Twitter is a dangerous thing that allows people spout off what they're thinking without concern, I'm not saying that's what happened here I just hope that people don't take REB's or anyone else's tweets out of context.

I'm aware, the other problem with twitter is that it barely allows for context in the first place due to the 140 char cap on tweets. It's a low-content burst-fire site.

mserson has my twitter question to REB correct.

I asked or commented on how I'd hope the CMNT would give him feedback but I don't believe REB responded. Anyway, as it stands no one knows why he wasn't called but when you've got guys like JBB from B3 getting calls how can you overlook a guy like REB with the speed he has playing in B2 and the goal-scoring record he has....as well as the concacaf experience he has (not a lot, but some!).

I asked or commented on how I'd hope the CMNT would give him feedback but I don't believe REB responded. Anyway, as it stands no one knows why he wasn't called but when you've got guys like JBB from B3 getting calls how can you overlook a guy like REB with the speed he has playing in B2 and the goal-scoring record he has....as well as the concacaf experience he has (not a lot, but some!).

We didn't really call anyone at forward whom REB could realistically compete with for a spot at the moment, though.

Should someone maybe start a thread about this REB stuff????

REB has not played very much at all in B2, or scored at that level. All his goals were for VWCFC, and Oulu, and you'll notice Ricketts didn't get the call until AFTER he left MYPA.

However REB is still very young, and frankly he would not be a good call-up at this point. More to the point, his response to the comment about the red card shows immaturity and arrogance. I think the red was BS. But I was very disappointed by his response to the idea it could be the reason he wasn't called. It was bordering on childish in fact.

A proper response from a player would be something more like 'well, if that's the reason, than that sucks, because I want to make it on my ability, but at the end of the day it's the coaches decision, and I'll just be happy to get the call in the future when it comes'... blah blah blah.

And I'd like to ad it shows a fair bit of disrespect for the Maple Leaf. If it takes one bad decision by a COACH to make you not want to play for the country, it suggests you don't give much of a s***t about what it means to play for that country in the first place.

so which forward do you leave out if you call REB?

DeRo? lol no.

Occean? After what he did this season? Nope.

Jackson? Obviously not.

Hume? After bagging 3 in Round 2, leading PNE with 10 despite playing 29 and forever giving his all for the badge, I don't see how you deny him here.

Comes down to him or Ricketts. I don't see any issue with going with Ricketts here. He's scored a few at the club level and did so for us in Round 2. REB on the other hand didn't score once he transferred to Germany, or at the London Qualifiers and showed some immaturity. Should his act be the sole reason to keep him away? I don't think so, but I also don't think it should be ignored. He's only 21, may need a bit more maturity and form at his club before he can crack into one of our 5 spots up front...but realistically he only had a shot at one of them.

It's one thing to say "argh X player isn't here", but it's another to actually look at what spot's he could actually have had.

Established trend. The guy is going to sign with some EPL club or other, wave around the "I'm solidifying my position" excuse for a couple years, all the while drifting closer and closer towards English eligibility.

Based on the premise that the English actually want him.

I happened to catch The Soccer Show last night and Hart was on via telephone, he was asked once again about Hoilett and JDG2 and basically said he has done all he can possibly do to entice them to play for Canada! I think he is tired of begging these guys and wants to move on and frankly, I don't blame him!