Canada vs Belarus (R)

Blackdude

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting opinion of a MNT player, one who staunchly upholds the views of many Vees here re. patriotism.

Meh. Whatever. Someone's got to defend the guy around here.

By all accounts Rob Friend is a nice guy, a great human being, and a good teammate. He's certainly been a loyal and true servant to the Canadian national team for many many years.

Whats with people criticizing Hart for the keeper sub? Makes no sense at all of course that sub should be made, we aren't going to have our most experienced keeper come to camp and sit on the bench 2 full matches in a row. Plenty of time for outfield subs..

On the subject of GKs, great to see that Begobich was not even selected as bench warmer for Bosnia in their last Euro Qual match. Haaaaha!

Ricketts is not a pure striker. He makes no sense in the Friend role

If we play Ricketts up front we pretty much forfeit the aerial cross, it's true. On the other hand, with guys like Johnson, Pacheco, and Hutchinson in the middle, playing along the carpet and trying to have your forward score with his feet makes sense as a strategy.

By all accounts Rob Friend is a nice guy, a great human being, and a good teammate. He's certainly been a loyal and true servant to the Canadian national team for many many years.

A little while ago, I also put forth statistics that showed that the team scored almost as much when Rob was on the pitch as when Ali was on the pitch, but that fell on deaf ears. Yes, his form recently hasn't been the best, but to look just at his goal-scoring record in a vacuum and draw all your conclusions from that does the striker position a grave injustice.

But as I said: "Meh. Whatever." Someday he'll show you, and I don't mind him being on the pitch when number 1 option (Ali) declines the invitation.

I do expect to see either Friend or Simeon to be coming off. Question is, does Hart go with youth or does he go with Stalteri? It will be quite telling where his mind is regarding our defensive depth on who he chooses.

I do expect to see either Friend or Simeon to be coming off. Question is, does Hart go with youth or does he go with Stalteri? It will be quite telling where his mind is regarding our defensive depth on who he chooses.

Hopefully Edgar or Straith if he chooses a defensive option!

Oh geez, sounds like we're turtling on our one-goal lead right now. Hold on boys, spring Simpson on the left, he is a pleasure to watch with the ball at his feet. Kind of like Russell Teibert.

Speaking of Teibert, I'd like to see what he could do in Simeon's wide-right position.

A little while ago, I also put forth statistics that showed that the team scored almost as much when Rob was on the pitch as when Ali was on the pitch, but that fell on deaf ears. Yes, his form recently hasn't been the best, but to look just at his goal-scoring record in a vacuum and draw all your conclusions from that does the striker position a grave injustice.

But as I said: "Meh. Whatever." Someday he'll show you, and I don't mind him being on the pitch when number 1 option (Ali) declines the invitation.

And as I have said..he is 30, he doesn't play for his club...when exactly are you expecting Friend to emerge on the scene as an effective striker? Do you believe in reincarnation or something?

I'm with El Hombre on this one, it's real easy to hate on a striker who hasn't exactly been filling up the net recently, but we must remember that he can contribute and do some good things for the team that often go un-mentioned on the score sheet. Especially since he's up there on his own.

Oh geez, sounds like we're turtling on our one-goal lead right now. Hold on boys, spring Simpson on the left, he is a pleasure to watch with the ball at his feet. Kind of like Russell Teibert.

Speaking of Teibert, I'd like to see what he could do in Simeon's wide-right position.

Ya kind of asking a lot of an 18 year old to start on his off wing for a senior men's team but he has two good feet on him, can deliver a set piece and can take on his man so why not

Archived