Canada vs Belarus (R)

Blackdude

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any math/FIFA Rankings wiz's here who could elaborate on what kind of points jump we might see from this?

This win adds almost 50 points for the April rankings. This puts us momentarily back into 8th spot in CONCACAF for April, ahead of El Salvador who had overtaken us for 8th with their win last week against Cuba. And for a few hours at least, we're just 13 points behind Cuba in 7th.

What really matters to me though, is which month's rankings will be used for WCQ, and I don't think that's been confirmed yet (there has been mention of March, May, and July). This win also adds almost a hundred points for the July 2011 rankings, which is actually quite important for the off chance that they decide to use the July rankings for the WCQ seeding.

Truthfully we'll never know what contribution Rob made to this one. I guess Gerry and MB are the only ones who can take an objective look at his contribution today.

At least they would likely be more 'objective' than the Friend bashers here.

Also 489 more FIFA ranking points.

That sounds about right... Too lazy to caluclate the whole thing myself :)

Although friendlys are only 1 x multipliers but due to the fact that we beat a much higher ranked team (200 - 37 / 100) give us 1.6 x multiplier on the opponent strength.

At least they would likely be more 'objective' than the Friend bashers here.

Objective? You think we all have some personal reason to think that Rob Friend is crappy which biases us and blinds us to his magnificent abilities?

Wait, why am I *****ing? We beat Belarus and, by the tweets of it, a fine performance it was. A moral victory to go along with an actual victory. Bravo, Canada!

That sounds about right... Too lazy to caluclate the whole thing myself :)

Although friendlys are only 1 x multipliers but due to the fact that we beat a much higher ranked team (200 - 37 / 100) give us 1.6 x multiplier on the opponent strength.

Wow wow hold on. What is the mathematics behind how many points we are awarded, and could someone illustrate using this match's outcome as an example? I realize that quoted above is how to get the multiplier (at least approximately) but I'd like to see a start to finish "How To Apply FIFA Points" so that I could start doing it with all our games.

Actually, a link to a site (be it FIFA's or another) with an illustration of how it works could suffice, thank you.

This is a great win for Canada. I know we've had a couple hiccups in the last calendar year but I honestly beleive that things are finally falling into place. Leading into the next calendar year I expect a win at home on June 1, a semi final appearance in the GC and an undefeated first round of WCQ. Unrealistic?

Yep, but to get our current rankings points you then have to average the past results for four separate one-year periods, weight the averages based on how old they are, and then add the weighted averages. To track it properly you need quite a bit of data.

This win adds almost 50 points for the April rankings. This puts us momentarily back into 8th spot in CONCACAF for April, ahead of El Salvador who had overtaken us for 8th with their win last week against Cuba. And for a few hours at least, we're just 13 points behind Cuba in 7th.

What really matters to me though, is which month's rankings will be used for WCQ, and I don't think that's been confirmed yet (there has been mention of March, May, and July). This win also adds almost a hundred points for the July 2011 rankings, which is actually quite important for the off chance that they decide to use the July rankings for the WCQ seeding.

Yep, we should remain in 8th. We haven't been below 8th for some time, so it's working out for us. We were 9th in August 2010, I don't think they'll be using those rankings for WCQ...

^ People around here seem to be suggesting that Borjan will be the man for the Gold Cup as Lars Hirschfeld will be in the middle of his Norwegian season. Not 100% certain of this, as Hirschfeld has missed matches before to play for Canada, but a good assumption.

I think the message sent by giving each keeper a half is that both are very much part of the picture for when WCQ starts this fall. #1 and #1a situation.

I wonder where this puts Ledgerwood and Pacheco for the Gold Cup, we have so many options now its tough to break it down. Personally I've never seen Ledgerwood as someone who would challenge for a spot in a full team but maybe Hart sees it differently.

Funny to read Hainault giving credit to Friend for drawing 2-3 defenders on him on the CK that led to his goal. Maybe Andrew read this board.

El Hombre, you'll have to find the message where I said OO was great against Greece or Ukraine. The only thing I said is that he was better, specially in the build up than Friend (who lost possession too many times against Greece). I just think he's worth keeping a look at because he's more mobile than Friend and probably as good in the air.

Good result today, glad we can finally keep a clean sheet. I'm looking forward to hear from Max and Dobson about their view of the game.

El Hombre, you'll have to find the message where I said OO was great against Greece or Ukraine. The only thing I said is that he was better, specially in the build up than Friend (who lost possession too many times against Greece). I just think he's worth keeping a look at because he's more mobile than Friend and probably as good in the air.

I never said that you said he was great. You said he was better than Friend. I disagree. That's all. I thought Friend was the better of the two and that's why I have him as my #2.

Thanks for that Loyola, and to others who stand up for Friend.

Take note Lord Bob... there is more to being a striker than SCORING GOALS...

Especially in today's football... good thing classy guys like Haineault, and smart ones

like Hart are running this team and not 'fans' like you

oh and that's 2-1-1 in the last four...

2 wins, 2 Rob Friend starts

Archived