Canada vs Belarus (R)

Blackdude

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never said that you said he was great. You said he was better than Friend. I disagree. That's all. I thought Friend was the better of the two and that's why I have him as my #2.

Well, you called my view of OO rosy and I backed my assessment at that time with the numbers of times both of them loss possession against Greece in relation with positive target man play, which was a far much greater number of loss for Friend (who completed only one or two pass until the last few minutes of the game) and OO had a higher ratio. Basically what I tried to do is try to put things into perspective and it also led me to reveise my view of Atiba on that game who lost possession too many times for a midfielder of his quality.

That being said, I find the Rob Friend bashing quite annoying TBH.

Love the fact we scored a goal from a set piece. I remember against Honduras in the 2009 Gold Cup quarter final we had all these crap corner kicks and free kicks, which we failed to capitalize on despite dominating Honduras for most of the second half.

And as it has been said countless times - winning leads to more winning. Onwards and upwards!

oh and that's 2-1-1 in the last four...

2 wins, 2 Rob Friend starts

2 wins, 2 games against countries whose last four letters are a, r, u, and s in some order.

Correlation does not equal causation. I have no idea how Friend performed in this game. He may have done very well. Hainault may be right in that Friend did something special which drew additional coverage and left Hainault unguarded. Bravo if so. That in no way changes the fact that a forward who can neither shoot, pass, nor run and who can only head the ball on occasion if it is delivered just so is a forward of very limited value, and I really don't understand on what grounds people defend him.

^ 'Some people' (read 'me') defend him because we don't have much respect for your opinion or many others who seem to think he is the reincarnation of Geoff Aunger. Labelling a Cdn who has led his club team in Germany in scoring in two different leagues as a 'forward who can neither shoot, pass, nor run and ...... is a forward of very limited value' doesn't help your credibility.

would that be the efficient cause... or the final.. Lord B??

apparently he is of enough value that teams double and triple team him when he makes a run on the ball... apparently...

I don't think OO, Gerba, or Hume draw that kind of attention on a corner... so yeah.. at least in this case... maybe... probably that goal doesn't happen without Friend on the pitch... I mean how many teams have 6'5" players?? making it the efficient cause... I believe

Ed I find the bashing tiresome as well... if one is going to rag on a player... give some good evidence for it... rather than taking for granted that everybody else on this forum feels the same way you do

I have watched the guy... and there are many things he doesn't do well... granted... but he does do some things well enough, otherwise.. honestly.. he wouldn't be there..

Rob Friend might not be the most prolific striker, but he shows up when he's called, he helped Canada beat Honduras (triple like), and he plays for the Red and White.

That's more than I can say for some guys who are eligible for Canada.

You won't hear me bashing him.

I do agree with those who say that Friend does a lot of things that are useful like creating room for others on the pitch. On the other hand if he is going to continue as a starting striker for us he certainly has to score a lot more. If we don't have the players who can provide him with the service he needs, then the players or tactics have to change including using someone else as the striker.

Winning a game against a decent opponent without seeing it is like getting laid by a beautiful girl the night before but being too drunk to remember it! :)

^ 'Some people' (read 'me') defend him because we don't have much respect for your opinion or many others who seem to think he is the reincarnation of Geoff Aunger. Labelling a Cdn who has led his club team in Germany in scoring in two different leagues as a 'forward who can neither shoot, pass, nor run and ...... is a forward of very limited value' doesn't help your credibility.

But the Canadian national team isn't the Bundesliga. Playing with Canada requires different skills than playing for Borussia Monchengladbach did. Many observers of the German leagues make the same point: Friend gets service in different ways domestically, teams use different strategies, etc. This has all never worked with Canada, though. Especially now that Friend is 30, slower, his reactions less sharp. You have to be an awfully special striker to be worth adjusting the team to fit the player: better to adjust the player to fit the team.

Based on selection going back to 2007, Stephen Hart appears to be of the opinion that Rob Friend is his best striker. He may be wrong, but it would be near the last thing I would argue with the manager. 30 is when most target men reach their prime. I suspect Friend will reward Hart's confidence with a few more goals before his international career comes to an end. He does need to get his club situation sorted out, but the same can be said about at least 50% of our players.

I do agree with those who say that Friend does a lot of things that are useful like creating room for others on the pitch. On the other hand if he is going to continue as a starting striker for us he certainly has to score a lot more. If we don't have the players who can provide him with the service he needs, then the players or tactics have to change including using someone else as the striker.

Winning a game against a decent opponent without seeing it is like getting laid by a beautiful girl the night before but being too drunk to remember it! :)

ahhh memories.... hmm hmm ahh... back to the topic...

I agree. In fact for the goal that Hainault scored today, Friend essentially set a screen in front of him which allowed Hainault to get open and head in the ball (according to MB's interview). I think one of the reason why he is not as prolific as in the national setup as oppose to club setup is Hart's preference in 4-2-3-1 / 4-5-1 setup as oppose to 4-4-2 where he simply doesn't have the skill sets to be the lone centre forward. He needs someone to support him as a supporting striker or creative #10.

Dobson's match report is up.

Rob Friend had a strong game in my opinion. He should have scored early in the game but the keeper made a quick reaction save. His size and physical strength caused all kinds of trouble for the Belarus backline. If there is one complaint, it would be the inability to finish in the first half when the chances were there.

Good for him! As ever I emphatically cheer for Rob to prove his doubters wrong.

Two objective points about the match:

One, like with Straith vs Greece, our worst player on the pitch was a guy not playing much for his club side. Simeon's not a natural winger, and it's clear he's not really in the plans for Norwich for the rest of the season, barring injury or something else unforeseen. Keeping all of this in mind, is it time to veer from the 4-5-1 or to try someone else in Simeon's position? Is he still going to be our go-to-guy for the Gold Cup?

Two, Hainault just tied Rob Friend (and Hume and Occean) on the all time goals scored list, with two in only 18 matches.

Two objective points about the match:

One, like with Straith vs Greece, our worst player on the pitch was a guy not playing much for his club side. Simeon's not a natural winger, and it's clear he's not really in the plans for Norwich for the rest of the season, barring injury or something else unforeseen. Keeping all of this in mind, is it time to veer from the 4-5-1 or to try someone else in Simeon's position? Is he still going to be our go-to-guy for the Gold Cup?

Two, Hainault just tied Rob Friend (and Hume and Occean) on the all time goals scored list, with two in only 18 matches.

I vote we start him as a striker next game.

Simeon just hasn't been in form I thought he had good matches vs. Ukraine and Honduras but in other recent matches he hasn't looked like he deserves to own that role, maybe he is our best option there who knows but we have other options we should try out

Simeon just hasn't been in form I thought he had good matches vs. Ukraine and Honduras but in other recent matches he hasn't looked like he deserves to own that role, maybe he is our best option there who knows but we have other options we should try out

Tomasz Radzinski would look awful good right now.

The problem with Hume and Radzinski though is they both play on the left side where Simpson is and they would even have some competition as Simpson's backup. We seem to be really weak on the right side of the pitch in almost all positions. Possibly we could try Peters in the role Jackson is currently playing if we could replace him adequately at RB possibly with Straith or Ledgerwood.

Tomasz Radzinski would look awful good right now.

The more I think about him the more I think of how similar a position he and DDR have played for club and country - maybe that's why they were never that great together. We've been so strong down the left side for years, come to think of it.

We have a glut of fairly quick attacking players (Simpson, Jackson, Hume, Issey, Pacheco) that aren't suitable in Hart's eyes as strikers for Canada, at least not as lone strikers. Simpson and Jackson are two of the weaker crossers of that group, IMO, which makes it kind of counter-intuitive that they would be the wingers for a lone striker that specializes in banging in decent crosses(Friend). Issey and de Jong (especially if used as LM) are great crossers IMO, and Hume is good on dead balls. I see our best available attackers as square pegs being pushed into Hart's round hole of a system. I also look at Simpson lighting the Turkish league on fire (with what is it, 12 goals in all competitions so far?) and then wonder why he hasn't been able to audition as the main force of our attack, whether alone or with another man up front, all while most of this forum throw their hands up in the air saying we just don't have any alternatives to the usual suspects.

I know the results have been encouraging (not that encouraging results against 2-tier European sides in friendlies have ever been a good predictor of Canada's success come WCQ) but the inability to score up front doesn't bode well, and IMO will most likely translate into more 1-0 and 2-0 losses when facing really desperate CONCACAF opponents in WCQ.

I'm still advocating a complete change in tactics, but I know I am in the minority.

The problem with Hume and Radzinski though is they both play on the left side where Simpson is and they would even have some competition as Simpson's backup. We seem to be really weak on the right side of the pitch in almost all positions. Possibly we could try Peters in the role Jackson is currently playing if we could replace him adequately at RB possibly with Straith or Ledgerwood.

Radz can play the right side as well if memory serves, though I'm by no means certain it does.

Radz has usually been a striker in a two-striker formation for most of his career and is happiest when he plays that position. He was used on the right side of midfield by Booby L way back in '97 and disliked it enough to quit the team (one of the excuses anyways). I believe he also played on both right and left with Fulham, which he said he wasn't a fan of but didn't make a stink because he was just happy playing. He could also be used as the central attacking mid behind the striker in our current, ingrained 4-5-1/4-2-3-1/4-3-3 formation.

Archived