CMNT Friendly against Ecuador June 1: Toronto's BMO Field

hamiltonfan

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's a Grenada? Well, it's not quite Granola, and it's not quite Canada, but oh man hahahahahahahaha... and to answer your question, I don't know.

Ecuador - yet another CONMEBOL opponent for BMO Field. It will be interesting to see how many Ecuadorians are in Toronto (probably enough to fill both the East and West stands again like Peru). Hopefully there will be some kind of coordinated marketing effort put together for this one, sort of a Send Off for the Gold Cup. I doubt it, though, and it will probably come down to Jamie having to fight with TicketBastard to get us a proper section, as well as having to get people to poster all the local soccer complexes and notify the soccer associations. I always ask myself, why doesn't the CSA email out huge releases to the provincial soccer associations, who then must email out huge releases to the districts, who then must email out the release to every single player registered in their district? I mean, what the hell is the use of the bloody National ---> Provincial ---> District ---> Registered Player system anyway aside from getting registration fees to feed the bureaucracy???? :(

Ecuador ranked 49th by fifa

They got a couple of good players in Antonio Valencia from Manchester United as well as Jefferson Montero who plays for Levante

It should be a good game, now does anybody know how many Ecuadorians live in Toronto? :P

There are a lot of them.........and they will all show up. They will also travel heavily from the U.S.

This game should be well attended. I imagine there will be many more Ecuadorians at this game then there were Costa Ricans for the Costa Rica match.

I remember Ecuador played Poland in Montreal. Was there a big Ecuador contingent?

Judging from the highlights not a considerable amount. I think Toronto would be more

I kind of wish a game like this would NOT be played in Toronto. Not just because of the opposition fan thing but also because the Toronto soccer market showed signs of saturation last year.

June 1st would be a decent time to play out west. Winnipeg, Calgary, or Edmonton should be an easy sell with hockey teams likely finished and CFL not yet started. Obviously there's the turf issue and it would be a financial risk to lay down grass. Vancouver would also be good to capitalize on the Caps excitement. The Canucks should be in the Stanley Cup finals though which would vacuum up a lot of the city's attention.

Great news about Ecuador!

Hmm ... if they use May 2011 rankings, we'd better be careful we don't improve too much ... or we might find ourselves not playing any September to November games ... :) (probably not much chance of that at this stage).

I used to live St. Clair west, just east of Dufferin. During the 2006 World Cup, I noticed a patch of Ecudorian support before you got to Corso Italia. There were a few shops/cafes in a row all supporting their flag with people out on the streets.

They will had some good support, hopefully the CSA pumps up the Gold Cup and that match so we have a good showing ourselves. Our team doesn't get enough marketing to the general public!

Ah. Just saw that Mexico was listed as the home side on fifa.com. Either way, we get to see what we want to see!

Yeah, Mexico never plays friendlies at home any more. It's far more lucrative for them to play in the U.S.

Lets hope we put up more of a fight against Ecuador then Peru last year when we got blanked 2-0. Anyways i hope hart tries to find some new players for our lack of attacking. It was great we won against Belarus but it was a defender that scored not a striker. I wonder how Ricketts did?

Lets hope we put up more of a fight against Ecuador then Peru last year when we got blanked 2-0. Anyways i hope hart tries to find some new players for our lack of attacking. It was great we won against Belarus but it was a defender that scored not a striker. I wonder how Ricketts did?

Ecuador is better than Peru too, IMO, so this might be a good gauge of where we are at compared to the Peru tilt.

FYI according to my Ecuadorian friend there are 20K in Ontario

it would not surprise me if that number was actually a tad higher.. There are definitely more Ecuadorians in the GTA than there are Peruvians.

We are going to need to do a very good job of promoting this match to ensure as big a home crowd as possible. I was at the US v ARG match last Saturday in NJ and that crowd was pretty evenly split between home and away supporters. At this point, I would take a 50/50 split for this friendly on June 1. Hard to rally huge support for a friendly

Archived