CMNT Friendly against Ecuador June 1: Toronto's BMO Field

hamiltonfan

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to Gerry Dobson, http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/03/27/dobson_blog_canada/ , Canada will be playing a friendly at BMO Field June 1 in preparation for the Gold Cup. There will be a camp held in the Toronto area prior to the friendly.

Any guess who we will be facing?

If I remember back to the last gold cup I think we played Guatemala who didn't qualify? So maybe another CONCACAF nation who didn't get through ... maybe T&T, Haiti or Nicaragua? With the Copa America the next month maybe S.American team can be convinced to come up north?

very excited for this match @ HOME. We will be seeing our full A sqaud. As for the opponent, who noes at this point but I wouldnt be suprised to see a known soccer nation agaisnt us. USA will be playing Spain a few days after, as pointed out S.A teams will be looking for games at that time...looking forward to a sellout at bmo

This is going to be a busy few days as I also plan on being in Boston on Saturday for the US Spain match and the Red Sox on Sunday followed by the Canada USA Game in Detroit on the Tuesday. Looking forward to it for sure.

I fixed your post.

I hope you bought tickets early for the Red Sox or are goining through a ticket agent (legal scalpers) because the best you could hope for even now are standing room tickets

Two guesses:

New Zealand - obvious reasons. Plenty of Kiwi's already play in North America, not ranked too far ahead of Canada at #56, and whatever profits are made from the game could be donated to Christchurch earthquake relief.

Japan - probably a better draw than the All Whites. Definetly better competitions. Again, donate all profits towards tsunami relief.

Two guesses:

New Zealand - obvious reasons. Plenty of Kiwi's already play in North America, not ranked too far ahead of Canada at #56, and whatever profits are made from the game could be donated to Christchurch earthquake relief.

Japan - probably a better draw than the All Whites. Definetly better competitions. Again, donate all profits towards tsunami relief.

I've got a better idea, how about donating any profits to our own cash poor national team to fund the world cup qualification campaign

NZ would be an excellent choice! Not only do they have players in NA but they will be good prep for the USA. Decent opponent yet a winnable game against a WC2010 participant (might attract the casual) and little risk of NOT having a home crowd. Great idea!

Also, wouldnt mind us beating up on a smaller opponent like Granada at home, we need to start winning at home it does not look good losing at home all the time.

Grenada seems a reasonable choice, given that they are about the same as us in the standings; both are in the Gold Cup, we've never played them before.

We can't expect every friendly to be against teams that are ranked higher than us.

And given the population of Grenada is only about 100,000 there's a small chance that they might not outnumber us at the stadium for once ...

From a FIFA rankings standpoint, Ecuador's sub-optimal: they're slightly underrated in the FIFA rankings relative to their actual ability, meaning we won't get a disproportionate number of points vs. the difficulty of getting a win. If that made any sense.

Still, they're a great opponent and we're going to have to dust some higher-ranked teams in the Gold Cup, so a good tune-up. Better than Guatemala.

Archived