Sept. 4th 2010, Canada v Peru PRE- & IN-match [R]

jc_nunezst

"...the loss stretching Canada's winless streak to eight games..."

"Canada has been outscored 16-3 since their last win, a 1-0 victory over El Salvador in July 2009 at the Gold Cup"

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=332699

It has been far too long since we've had a positive result and our lack of goal scoring is very concerning! I'm willing to wait until after the Honduras match but if we don't score and lose at home to a B side serious questions are going to have to be asked about the coach and the players put on the pitch!

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Straith was the highlight of the night for me. I don't care why Nana was ineligible to play....Straith is going to be a very good player. He is someone to build around.

Finally saw the replay of both goals and to me it looked like Straith was at fault for both. He was marking the first goal scorer just before the cross (which yes came after a flubbed clearance from McKenna, and no pressure put on the crosser from Stalteri). The scorer peeled off behind him and headed it in. The second goal was a combination of players (starting with deGuzman in the middle, then Peters) not picking up the run of the eventual scorer. But Staith was the last line of defense and he wasn't quick enough to react to the final part of the run of the non-marked goal scorer. I did not pay much attention to his ball control / movement, perhaps this is what people are pointing out as encouragin signs... although many posts have suggested Peru gained the advantage when they started pressuring our backline when they had the ball.

This is not encouraging. Peru's goal scorers were not part of their A team. And these weren't our only defensive breakdowns (most of which came in 2nd half). Out D just breakdown way too often to expect success at even CONCACAF level.

Finally saw the replay of both goals and to me it looked like Straith was at fault for both. He was marking the first goal scorer just before the cross (which yes came after a flubbed clearance from McKenna, and no pressure put on the crosser from Stalteri). The scorer peeled off behind him and headed it in. The second goal was a combination of players (starting with deGuzman in the middle) not picking up the run of the eventual scorer. But Staith was the last line of defense and he wasn't quick enough to react to the final part of the run of the non-marked goal scorer. I did not pay much attention to his ball control / movement, perhaps this is what people are pointing out as encouragin signs... although many posts have suggested Peru gained the advantage when they started pressuring our backline when they had the ball.

This is not encouraging. Peru's goal scorers were not part of their A team. And these weren't our only defensive breakdowns (most of which came in 2nd half). Out D just breakdown way too often to expect success at even CONCACAF level.

On the first goal, Straith gave me the impression he stopped his movement at the moment Lars called for the ball. That being said, watching the replay I'm not convince he would've got there if he had continued.

Finally saw the replay of both goals and to me it looked like Straith was at fault for both...

The second goal was a combination of players (starting with deGuzman in the middle) not picking up the run of the eventual scorer. But Staith was the last line of defense and he wasn't quick enough to react to the final part of the run of the non-marked goal scorer.

Agree on both accounts but especially on the 2nd goal. Yeah, Peters left the defence in a bad way when he got turned wrong side but that's going to happen from time to time and the centre halfs must recognize it. To my mind Straigth got caught watching but not seeing (if you follow).

But he's 20. That'll happen. But I have to say I like him, he's got a future this lad. I don't doubt it but he's years away from starting in our center in a competitive WCQing match and I think Hart & pretty much everyone else who watched the match yesterday would likely agree.

Less discouraged by the goals than you. Our defending 4 is still a work in process and what we saw yesterday isn't bloody likely what we're going to be seeing when it's time to play for real.

1st off....Kudos to everyone who put in alot of work to get the V's organized for this match. The South end was a fun place to be for the most part. Section 114 turned into Fight Club when some drunk lout decided to slug a woman...it was a crazy scene.

Looked outstanding on the television. Especially so given the state of the rest of the venue. Bit empty out there.

Scrappin' in the stands. Well now, there's a sure sign the game is maturing in this country.

"I know not who is friend and who is foe.

What is more I do not care.

A fray is a fray!"

Groo the Wanderer

I've been impressed with Jackson, but if I never see Friend in a Canada shirt again it'll be too soon.

It's fitting that, in a friendly schedule that may see Stalteri take the all-time caps record, Friend is continuing his all-time record for completely useless appearances for the national team.

Couldn't agree with you more. Friend has never produced up front for us and looked horrible when given the ball and losing it or not controlling it: kinda looked like me ;)

I wonder if Burnbury would really make any difference.

Couldn't agree with you more. Friend has never produced up front for us and looked horrible when given the ball and losing it or not controlling it: kinda looked like me ;)

I wonder if Burnbury would really make any difference.

I think you guys are being harsh on a guy that plays willingly for his country! He hasn't scored a whole lot for us, who has? As long as the midfield continues to be inept with their service any striker left on his own is going to struggle! As for Bunbury, he was asked to represent his country and chose not to for whatever reason yet people choose to slag a guy who plays at a high level and flies half way around the world to represent us!

One other quick note, the Vs were well represented and the TFC supporters groups supplemented the turnout as well. Problem was that the other 85% of the normal TFC crowd didn't show. Is TFC more important to them than Canada??? Or did they not know the game was even on?

A combination of both, I'd say.

I copied this post from the comments section of the Globe and Mail's story. I hope this guy isn't one of us

Ian Hume and Atiba Hutchinson tried to fight me after the game after I called out there effort.

Atiba came running out of the bus to get into it. Then asks me if I play professional soccer wit him, Hume and some retarded in my face, all three of them going to fight one guy?

Pathetic babies.

Hutchinson and Hume should just hang it up.

These guys are clowns and a shining example as to why Canadians wont show up to watch them and they can play in front of a pro Honduras crowd in MTL.

They havent won in TWO years. TWO YEARS. How can supporters get the casual fan to show up? Mom and dad dont want to bring Jill and Johnny to the games cause some Peruvians are going to disrespect them in their own country.

The NT is horrible.

They have to start winning to get people to go.

Then they try to fight someone who has gone to almost all their matches in Canada.

Ive lost a ton of respect for them and Will Johnson who just sat there and gave me the finger.

Ranked 101? They will end up 202 with their attitude. As though they are gracing us with their presence, like they have descended from upon high.

If their comparison of talent is me, then they will never win again.

I put my Canada scarf away today.

Originally Posted by JamboAl

One other quick note, the Vs were well represented and the TFC supporters groups supplemented the turnout as well. Problem was that the other 85% of the normal TFC crowd didn't show. Is TFC more important to them than Canada??? Or did they not know the game was even on?

A combination of both, I'd say.

---------------------------------------

The tickets were just too much. Combine that with champions league games ect.. it is a really busy schedule.

My tickets for TFC for this game would have been almost $80 each. Considering the only contact those TFC fans would have be the offer of their seats, at those prices it should be no surprise.

Actually that was me.

There was no reason for those guys to try and fight me. I told Hume that I was very happy he recovered all was well. Then I said their second half effort was horrible. It was. The first goal, even the coach says was preventable.

Hume freaks out and gets into my face. Atiba comes running out cussing me and everything. Some random guy from the crowd tries to fight me.

Why cause they were horrible in the second half? They were totally in effective? Atiba played the ball into the opposing teams feet way to often? Johnson didnt make any penetrating runs?

Sorry gentlemen, but I support the team but I dont enable the type of behaviour that will kiss their ass. They havent won in years.

So they are going to try and fight a supporter? Thats ridiculous. Maybe I am not one of you, but I give it my all at the games and I expect more from our heros that trying to fight a supporter.

They havent won in years.

Not quite. We beat Cyprus, Guatemala, Jamaica, and El Salvador last summer.

As for the heckling... If this was a club situation where it's their jobs then I might agree with you but it's not. I just don't think the guys deseve to be heckled considering national team duty is voluntary and these guys are essentially risking their careers to play exhibition games for Canada. Sure I'm disappointed with the 2nd half effort but I would never act out like that.

Actually that was me.

There was no reason for those guys to try and fight me. I told Hume that I was very happy he recovered all was well. Then I said their second half effort was horrible. It was. The first goal, even the coach says was preventable.

Hume freaks out and gets into my face. Atiba comes running out cussing me and everything. Some random guy from the crowd tries to fight me.

Why cause they were horrible in the second half? They were totally in effective? Atiba played the ball into the opposing teams feet way to often? Johnson didnt make any penetrating runs?

Sorry gentlemen, but I support the team but I dont enable the type of behaviour that will kiss their ass. They havent won in years.

So they are going to try and fight a supporter? Thats ridiculous. Maybe I am not one of you, but I give it my all at the games and I expect more from our heros that trying to fight a supporter.

While I would never yell after the players like you did I'm not too impress by their reaction either (if true). They are professionnal and fans criticizing their effort, righ or wrong, comes with the game.

BTW, we've won some games last summer but we have only scored one goal in our last 7 games.

Shout out to El Hombre and Canadian Swede in "economy class". The wine & caviar up front is fine! Suckers!

Ok Nature Boy Ric Flair. The finest suits, the finest women and now, the finest train coaches. Next you will be going around saying "You got to beat the man to be the man!"

"Wooooo!"

I DVRed the match and watched it on my Slingbox today and the best I can say is all the V's represented very well. Nice job guys.

hola señor chinche

Jdot's story brings a tear to my eye. Our players are animals ANIMALS! Hey I got this great idea for next weekend. Let's find some guys who've had a really bad day at work...catch them right as they're leaving then tell them they suck balls. Then when they react like any man would, write an expose about it, something really dramatic about throwing scarves off bridges and turning our backs in slo-motion. Awesome. Or how about leaving them the fck alone instead?

Jdot's story brings a tear to my eye. Our players are animals ANIMALS! Hey I got this great idea for next weekend. Let's find some guys who've had a really bad day at work...catch them right as they're leaving then tell them they suck balls. Then when they react like any man would, write an expose about it, something really dramatic about throwing scarves off bridges and turning our backs in slo-motion. Awesome. Or how about leaving them the fck alone instead?

If you want to **** on a group of players after the game... there are two teams.

Definitely should never voice your displeasure with the players. Its always the CSA etc. Always someone else. Theres not enough money, not enough marketing, not enough Canadian fans (even though we did a great job for 90+ and the supporters group did a great job trying to sell tickets for grouping supporters together etc) but its definitely never ever them, dont blame the players, dont tell them they didnt play well.

Maybe we could give them all gold stars for their effort and oranges at half time.

Well, I resisted posting immediately after the game because it was so disappointing, and reading the thread after the game it was pretty negative. I posted after the first half I thought we played reasonably well, and I still think so. The poor performance in the second half has coloured how the whole game is being viewed. The second half was pretty bad though, we were on the back foot the entire time up until the goal, mental errors and poor touches causing turnovers and then we had to absorb more and more pressure. Especially after Jackson came off we were unable to create anything positive, and Farfan and company absolutely ran our left side ragged. We didn't create anything for the entire second half, obviously we are going to give up chances.

I'm not a big fan of numeric ratings, as I think most of the time the difference between say a 5 or 6 is pretty arbitrary, unless backed up by a summary. As for my view on individual players, based on the WHOLE game, not just the 45 that leaves the sour taste in our mouths;

Hirschfeld - Thought he was solid for the most part, never looked shaky dealing with crosses and I don't think you could fault him for the goals. Would you like to see him stop one of them, yes in an ideal world but he was better than fair today.

Stalteri - He was poor, not sure if that's a fair representation of his current level, considering his lack of playing time. Obviously if he hopes to continue with the MNT, he needs a new club. We can't progress if he's a starter for us with that performance. Was out of position constantly, gave the ball away, ****ed up several throw ins with poor communication

Mckenna - Good to see him back, I thought he was strong for us, simple and safe with the ball at his feet. It's tough to know where the blame lies on the first goal, he tried to clear the ball off the first cross when it should have been Stalteri's, and was out of position because of it. Not sure if Stalteri called him off or not, either way he had to do better with that header to get it out of danger. Too bad for him, that an otherwise good performance is marred by that play. For me he's still in the mix for the CB position.

Straith - I thought it was a good performance from him considering his age and he wasn't supposed to start. Is he a starter at CB for us right now? No. I don't think you can blame him for the goals, I guess if you watch a ten second clip to assign the blame on each goal it's easy to point to him. Do you hope he can hide others mistakes and get us out of trouble? Of course. Was a little too safe and simple with his ball movement from the back, but chalk that up to inexperience. He will only get better and he's playing with his club.

De Jong - Tough to judge him with so little time, which is too bad considering Klukowski has been pencilled into that role for some time. Would have liked to see more of his set piece ability, he missed his one chance from a good position. Hope his season isn't torpedoed because of this injury.

Peters - Thought he started positively, made some strong plays defensively initially, and used his speed down the left. His second half was a nightmare however, and he takes a portion of the blame on the second goal. Would like to see him on the right, assuming he's more comfortable there.

De Guzman - He was more active and positive in the first half, but on the whole, disappointed in his game, not able to break up enough of the Peru counters, and not decisive enough offensively. I'd like to see Hutchinson take over more of the playmaking duties, and De Guzman focus more on hard tracking and destroying. Either that or find someone else to do it, and have De Guzman be more offensive. If that's the case though, he's got to be more effective on the ball. As it is, not good enough for us to be a top CONCACAF team.

Johnson - Was relatively quiet, but I don't think he hurt his place in the pecking order. They had their hands full down that left side. It will be interesting to see how he works with Hutch if they both start on Tuesday. I would like to see him assert himself more, but with De Guzman gone maybe he won't defer so much.

Simpson - Started off extremely shaky, like he wasn't ready to come on. Had a couple good runs that almost led to something, but just was out of synch the whole time. I hope he plays on Tuesday, and has a good performance, because he needs one.

Hutchinson - Thought he was just ok. He can be silky smooth and make defenders look like pylons one minute, and then waste a golden opportunity with a poor first touch. I can't explain it. Interested to see how he plays without De Guzman. Maybe some of these guys will take initiative and create something themselves.

De Rosario - Same story every time with this guy it seems. He can be so dangerous at times, but he doesn't do it often enough. He'll have two or three possessions where he creates something and could score, but the rest of the time he dribbles it to nowhere and gets stripped instead of keeping the buildup going. So unless he scores in those moments of brilliance, he's a negative.

Jackson - Our best player yesterday in my opinion. He was out of position but made the best of it, using his speed and creating space for himself on most touches. Obviously his crossing could improve, but I'd like to see him up front anyway to see what he'd give us there. Too bad he got subbed out, after that we never threatened again.

Friend - I think the criticism on here for Friend is overdone. And I'm in the camp that if he doesn't do more with his chances soon we have to move on. I can't think of a cross that he could have done anything with, and he held up the ball well at times, especially in the first half. In the second, we couldn't get across the half way line in possession. Not that I'd say he was great, but can't really judge him on yesterday.

The other subs I don't think I can even rate because they had too little time or too few touches to have an opinion, not that mine is worthy anything. Wow that was a long post. I must have nothing better to do.

Archived