Sept. 4th 2010, Canada v Peru PRE- & IN-match [R]

jc_nunezst

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just some impressions... Peru looked more athletic.. and bigger for some reason. Is Canada small, or Peru big? Canada was tentative and tired? Few runs. Just Simpson, really. Well Dero and De Guzman are tired. Maybe that's why the fall off in the 2nd half. Anyway ... not much to get excited about unfortunately.

Sigh, so hard being a Canadian soccer supporter. On paper it just seems we should be so much better. This is painful to watch, no cohesion at all. Very sloppy. Brutal because this looks like one of our strongest squads.

Did I miss what happened with Attakora? Is he healthy but not playing? Seems pointless to invite and not play him. I am sure this won't sit well with TFC who are clearly in an important part of their season.

Also, all those Peru supporters should go back to their home country. k thx.

Also, all those Peru supporters should go back to their home country. k thx.

No we need them. They are helping to fund Canadian soccer and as you can see today we need all the help we can get. I thought Tony Waiters was a bit negative in an interview when he wrote off 2014 and said to plan for 2018. Now I'm thinking he may be right. Sigh. I hope not but he does know how long it takes for things to fall in place.

The lack of Nana was a surprise. How few goals have we had in our last 10 games now? No we don't throw Hart away. We give him one complete WCQ round and see what happens. Hopefully we get our act together and he gets his lineup solidified soon. I'm really getting fatigued waiting.

Cheers all.

Looking for positives, I thought Straith was solid at centre back and can only get better, youngest player on the team. Jackson and Peters were OK. On the other hand, the MLS contingent were poor. Atiba was poor. Nobody can get crosses in to Friend. And the few dangerous free-kicks we had, bringing the big men up from the back along with Friend, were just diabolically poor. Our depth is a bit frightening considering where we have to climb.

Disjointed...players don't know what they're doing. Coach obsessed with players to fit ''the system'' instead of picking a system to fit the players. Canada's weakness is at the back so sit back with 10 men behind the ball?

It doesn't make any sense. Friend didn't play too well but he also doesn't get much of a chance with this style of play. He's a good and useful player but he needs the crosses and a team that likes to play on the opponents half. If that's not the case...he shouldn't be playing. I wonder if the manager actually knows his players and ever gets to watch them. If your going to play like cowards in a home game...at least play 3 quick guys upfront and not Friend and DeRo.

Disjointed...players don't know what they're doing. Coach obsessed with players to fit ''the system'' instead of picking a system to fit the players. Canada's weakness is at the back so sit back with 10 men behind the ball?

It doesn't make any sense. Friend didn't play too well but he also doesn't get much of a chance with this style of play. He's a good and useful player but he needs the crosses and a team that likes to play on the opponents half. If that's not the case...he shouldn't be playing. I wonder if the manager actually knows his players and ever gets to watch them. If your going to play like cowards in a home game...at least play 3 quick guys upfront and not Friend and DeRo.

Completely agree if you are gonna play Friend then you need to feed him the ball or he is useless! With the team we fielded I would have expected more crosses..

Peru closed us down well whenever we were in their half. Us? Well we were waiting for Peru to make mistakes instead of closing them down

We generated **** all attack. The team we fielded today have logged enough playing time together to be familiar, so that's not an excuse. I think it's clear with our goal drought that Hart's shape isn't going to work with this group. Drop the big man up top role, we might as well play with 10 men because it's completely useless. This is what I would've liked to have seen in the second half. Sub Friend for Simpson. Give DeRo a free role. Play a high line and pressure Peru from the front.

Simpson-------DeRo-----Jackson

---------------Hutch-------------

--------Johnson--------JDG------

Peters--Straith--McKenna--Diesel

--------------Hirsch----------------

We suck at crossing and all we try to do is pass through their centre halves...too much trying to have nice throughballs. We need more activity in the box, more movement with the ball towards the box. How many times did I see Canadian players take the ball from the wing and pass it backwards, away from the box, towards the centre of the pitch. Instead of crossing or trying to get into the box, our players kept trying to feed everything through the middle...

We can't play like that. It's not working.

Simeon Jackson reminds me of former Whitecaps winger Lyle Martin - amazing runs down the wing, but so poor on crosses that he delivers F.A. (and I don't mean "Football Association") to players in the box. He should not be a winger.

The traditional English mentality is to use two strikers - one short and speedy guy who likes to score, and one tall guy who wins the ball to give to the short guy. We're doing the opposite - using a short guy to feed a tall guy. It is not working, even remotely. If anything, it should be Friend winning the ball with his size, and feeding the speedy Simpson through the middle. Instead, Simpson is on the wing, trying to feed a Peter Crouch-like Rob Friend. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Stalteri's choice of whom to mark is awful. Get him off, or at least get him some decent support so that we don't leave every single attack down the wings open for crosses. SOMEONE please mark the wing!

JDG and DDR are overpaid and overrated.

2022 is most likely.

That is all.

This was a dreadful performance, there is very little technical ability to create any offensive threat...Jackson should NOT be playing on the wing( but he's talented and keeps trying)...and Friend should NOT be playing.....Peters looked terrible, I know he was out of position, but where was his energy and determination, Stalteri looks lost and drifts everywhere out of position, JDG definitely not controlling in midfield. Straith looked capable and decisive..he and Jackson the lone bright spots

Canada looked exactly what they are , a team hovering about 100th. in the world !!!

Things Rob Friend would be useful for:

1) Getting things off the top shelf.

2) Blocking you from having to watch street theatre.

3) Shouting "how's the weather up there?" at.

4) Cannibalizing if your soccer team crashes in the Andes.

Things Rob Friend is not useful for:

1) International soccer.

The team played only one half. First half had movement, second was static and our boys were just looking at the Peruvians running around them.

Maybe this is premature, but I'm starting to believe that our dreams of Canadian success (both on field and support) will be for the next generation. Let's get something straight: the CMNT will never win the hearts of the Canadian mass as long as they are loosing. A winning team that people can be proud of is the only solution, and apparently, we'll have to be even more patient.

On another topic, is it just me or the only Canadian supporters at BMO were the Voyageurs? I'm not saying Tuesday in Montreal will be any better - but where the f*ck were the Toronto support?

^^ i disagree with that 110%... The pairing of Friend and Jackson in the first half created a fist full of chances in the first half and they were quite close to capitalizing (albeit a few botched crosses by Jackson..) , but lord (maybe not you Lord Bob) knows what happened in the 2nd half because it seemed to be all in the Canadian end and Canada didn't seem to have an answer for the Peruvian pressure.. I just hope they can rebound and kick the **** out of whoever Honduras seems to send up...

Archived