Sept. 4th 2010, Canada v Peru PRE- & IN-match [R]

jc_nunezst

I was surprised to see so many Peru supporters, who showed up prepared/outfitted and were matchday ready.

But thinking about the importance of these matches, even the friendlies, I can't help but wonder what kinda numbers are gonna show up in the next 2 years when we start playing for real.

I know I will be bringing my plastics bags and a bladder 'full of' to the matches.

If that was a friendly?

I am no longer a friend of anyone facing us. Period!

KD.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He also said something along the lines of "results will bring more fans" in another article that I'm too lazy to serach for right now (it's posted in this thread a few pages back).

So no, the coach wasn't "blaming" the fans for anything.

Jdot, we have plenty of legitimate gripes to worry about without making more shit up.

Rudi, I wasnt making **** up and accusing me of doing so IS making **** up. You asked where I got my viewpoint, I gave it to you. The source I read misquoted the statement. Go blame the Globe and Mail.

Its still a legitimate gripe that all the marketing in the world wont get people to watch until they win.

Hey guys..I was just checking youtube videos of the game. I saw this one of Peru, but minus the celebration, which supporters group was singing there?? Was that the South End?? Were the Redpatchboys and U-sector chanting?? You guys did good, but I could tell, that you guys were pretty much making the only noise for Canada. Too bad this wasn't like a TFC game, where the whole stadium would be in unison.

I didn't want to post, but since I've been reading more Peruvian papers and seeing there feedback on the game, I can tell you that firstly, being Ole'd in your "Home" field is a huge embarassment, particularly when the opposing fans do it in your house. Secondly, Peruvian commentators thought Canadian fans don't give a **** about soccer, as seeing only half the stadium full and majority Peruvian supporters, questioned the sport's "following" here. Thirdly, They were surprised that you were allowed to drink in the stands with aluminum cans and such, as seeing in South America, it's banned, since fans and opposing fans, tend to get violent, which shows a testament of how behaved we are here. I'm not saying that it's bad, but seeing as we don't have a Soccer Culture, doubt we'll throw cans and projectiles at opposing players. Lastly, they weren't as impressed by Canada's team. The only person that got accolades was Jackson I believe or Johnson, the one who played in the right mid. He was making Vilchez look foolish many times, but as as soon as he was subbed out, the creativity that Canada had in it's only player was gone and Peru just passed the ball around like nothing to fear anymore.

It isn't how behaived they are at BMO field. The reason they may have cans is because of how much they love soccer, and don't want to get blacklisted from BMO field and it's strict yellow/red card program.

I was unable to attend the match though i had wanted to go and had even inqured about tickets, I have to believe that the attendance and what the media has described as a home field advantage for Peru was do to the fact that the game fell on the labour day week-end. We can't blame FIFA or the CSA for its timieng as Europe does not appear to have the same holiday but labour Day is the last long week-end in the summer and really a bad time to have a game. Now if we were playing a more high profile nation the attendance may have been greater. If this game were held the week before or the week after I would have been there....but Long week-end I was out of the city...sucks.....

I was unable to attend the match though i had wanted to go and had even inqured about tickets, I have to believe that the attendance and what the media has described as a home field advantage for Peru was do to the fact that the game fell on the labour day week-end. We can't blame FIFA or the CSA for its timieng as Europe does not appear to have the same holiday but labour Day is the last long week-end in the summer and really a bad time to have a game. Now if we were playing a more high profile nation the attendance may have been greater. If this game were held the week before or the week after I would have been there....but Long week-end I was out of the city...sucks.....

Funny that many people on this forum said that Labor day weekend should've been an additional reason for people in Montreal to go at the game against Honduras during the WCQ last year. For some reason, Labor day weekend is a reason why people DIDN'T go to the peru game last saturday at Toronto...

Some good points, though he seems not to realize that MLSE did promote this match quite heavily at TFC games, so that criticism seems a bit off. And he probably deliberately under-values Peru so as to make Canada look even worse - "third-tier South American side" yes - but also 39 in the FIFA rankings somehow, so they must be winning some games. I think we should at least see how we match up against our Concacaf rivals for the 3rd and 4th spots before we decide to give up and not bother to follow the team until qualifying for 2022 as he seems to suggest in his article (which is exactly the sort of public suggestion that will help to keep people away from supporting Canada, Paul).

I was in Toronto visiting family and had someone willing to come to the game with me... but it got kiboshed by previous family commitments, so I totally identify with this seemingly uninportant point. But no way is it the major issue here.

I like to highlight one point PJ made in his globe article: Athletically, Canada could not compete.

We used to be able to compete athletically (at least in CONCACAF) but now we can't do that either. Combine it with our already poor technical skills, backward football intelligence, tactically naive managers and emotionally fragile players, it is no surprise we have gone downhill since the 80s.

Hey guys..I was just checking youtube videos of the game. I saw this one of Peru, but minus the celebration, which supporters group was singing there?? Was that the South End?? Were the Redpatchboys and U-sector chanting?? You guys did good, but I could tell, that you guys were pretty much making the only noise for Canada. Too bad this wasn't like a TFC game, where the whole stadium would be in unison.

As people have pointed out, it was the Vs, U-Sector and RPB (a significant portion of which were there as Vs) and the North End Elite in 127.

To say that for TFC games, the whole stadium is in unison is really not the case. While everyone may be cheering for the same side at a TFC game, the noise comes from those same sections that made the noise on Saturday (add maybe a couple more south end sections and 110). The vast majority of BMO Field is quiet for most of TFC games.

Marcel de Jong is already back in Augsburg, has been seen by club medical staff, and given the green light for training. So the broken shoulder diagnosis was a bit premature.

Disjointed...players don't know what they're doing. Coach obsessed with players to fit ''the system'' instead of picking a system to fit the players. Canada's weakness is at the back so sit back with 10 men behind the ball?

Just wanted to give this a quick +1. This is exactly how I feel.

For all the flack that Friend has taken in this thread, I still think he could work if he played with someone else up top in a two striker system. Make the system fit the players you have.

Archived