Canadians MIA/UI List

nolando

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like Santinago has been trailing with West Ham for a few weeks.

WHUFC ‏@Forever_WestHam

Jordan Santiago is West Ham's trialist goalkeeper against QPR today #whufc

Here's a short article I found on the match, a 3-1 win for whufc:

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/130319/west-ham-offer-trial-canadian-goalkeeper-jordan-santiago-193987

An official trial offer, rather than just training! That's great news, nice find, thanks! Also...Jussi is an amazing keeper. I didn't realize he was 38 though. I really hope Santiago pulls this off!

Looking into it, Santiago's other competition at that spot...Raphael Spiegel is their current backup, a Swiss international who was starting on their U-19 squad is the most prevalent. He is currently 20. He's been at West Ham since July of last year. In other weords, no one that would significantly be ahead of Santiago. In even more clear terms...if Jussi were to retire what West Ham would ACTUALLY do is find another #1 keeper and it would be a scrap for the #2 spot, with Spiegel having the advantage.

Looking into it, Santiago's other competition at that spot...Raphael Spiegel is their current backup, a Swiss international who was starting on their U-19 squad is the most prevalent. He is currently 20. He's been at West Ham since July of last year. In other weords, no one that would significantly be ahead of Santiago. In even more clear terms...if Jussi were to retire what West Ham would ACTUALLY do is find another #1 keeper and it would be a scrap for the #2 spot, with Spiegel having the advantage.

I would get too excited. Spiegel is out for the rest of the season and rather than give Santiago a short term contract they have recalled Stephen Henderson from Ipswich where he has stated most of their matches this season.

Of course I'm excited. Santiago hasn't disappeared completely, and he also hasn't resurfaced to be a 3rd string keeper in like...Liechenstein or something, either. It's easy to hear news about a guy when they are linked to a premier league team, so why not get excited? At worst, they sign him and put him out on loan to a championship or league 1 side.

However, as I was saying in my earlier post, have a look at the last two lines in this article I found. Even if Jussi Jaaskeleinen retires, it's not as though they'll make either Santiago, Henderson, OR Spiegel starters.

http://thefootballdugout.blogspot.ca/2013/03/west-ham-on-search-for-keeper.html#more

Wasn't Demar called up to Jamaica U20s for the recenty CONCACAF championship?

Just asked about his status on Twitter and he says "I can still play for the #CanMNT but I've been waiting FOREVER on my citizenship and I'm itching to play internationally".

Guest Brethers

ooh cool, I'm confused as to his club situation though. He was in Sweden last year but then I kept seeing him tweet bout playing in Ontario

Babayale Sodade has resurfaced on trial with Harrisburg Islanders:

"..in our scrimmage with Navy yesterday one of the HCI goals was scored by a player named Babayele Sodade. How did he end up in camp with us? He was recently waived by the Sounders just earlier this month. He has not signed with HCI yet but he has impressed. He is a perfect example of the type of player Becher will snag by running training camp the way we do. Also, I am sure the fact that we have an affiliation with Philadelphia made Sodade's decision to report to our camp easier. He knows that if he were to sign with Harrisburg and do well he may earn a ticket back to MLS."

http://blog.pennlive.com/upper90/2013/03/harrisburg_receives_ideal_play.html

Also, I am sure the fact that we have an affiliation with Philadelphia made Sodade's decision to report to our camp easier. He knows that if he were to sign with Harrisburg and do well he may earn a ticket back to MLS."

If true, then that's a good move by Sodade and his agent. I must say, USL Pro has really done themselves a huge favour with the MLS loan agreement. They may now have positioned themselves as a preferred destination for aspiring MLS players to get scouted by the league.

• 2 weeks later...
Justin Maheu, who seemed a promising prospect at Fortuna Dusseldorf not that long ago, will be playing with Ottawa Fury of the PDL this summer.

Might not be a bad idea to get a foot in the door for a possible NASL contract next summer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived