Canadians MIA/UI List

nolando

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Proctor returns to FC Edmonton I think Arango couldn't do better than #3 on the depth chart. If Proctor doesn't come back... well, Arango would be a decent backup plan but I feel like they could do better. He was always a pretty-good-but-ultimately-replaceable sort in my eyes.

• 1 month later...

I have added Hainault, JDG, and Attakora to this list as all of their contracts have expired, although the first two may well re-sign, admittedly.

I read a month or two back that San Antonio might not bring Harmse back and now see that he has been erased from their official website: http://sanantonioscorpions.com/club/the-team/roster

Funny to see Lyle Martin picked up and yet Harmse dropped along with most of last year's squad. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they bloody good during last regular season? If the Harmse release is true then I do believe there are no longer any other true Canadians on any other NASL squads other than FCE. Is this progress, pray tell?

^^ Cheers, ThiKu. No offense intended by putting these guys on the list. The UI part of MIA/UI is for an old, long discarded acronym for Unemployment Insurance. No contract = on my list which keeps me searching where players might land next, even if it is re-signing at the same club. Teachers keep working without contracts. Soccer players are unemployed without contracts.

^ And to Canada, great news, sir. I figured Andre would leave when he was undervalued (insulted?) at the end of the playoffs and left on the bench. Excited to read about where he will land next, if indeed he is leaving. Sort of reinforces putting players like Andre on this list in the first place, in my mind, anyways.

Hainault ad JDG are not MIA just because out of contract. Jumping the gun there, eh? Isn't Attakora still in Finland?

I think Attakora's team got relegated...might be better off moving. Then again, if it's like last time and he goes a long time without signing, better off staying and playing, I don't know. Too talented a lad for 2nd tier finland though I think.

I think Attakora's team got relegated...might be better off moving. Then again, if it's like last time and he goes a long time without signing, better off staying and playing, I don't know. Too talented a lad for 2nd tier finland though I think.

Jumped the gun on this one . Attakora is apparently one of 15 players already signed by Haka for next season in second tier Finland. How the mighty (promising) have fallen.

http://www.valkeakoskensanomat.fi/Uutiset/1194784189028/artikkeli/haka+kertoo+iltapaivalla+uusista+pelaajista.html

Jumped the gun on this one . Attakora is apparently one of 15 players already signed by Haka for next season in second tier Finland. How the mighty (promising) have fallen.

http://www.valkeakoskensanomat.fi/Uutiset/1194784189028/artikkeli/haka+kertoo+iltapaivalla+uusista+pelaajista.html

Ah well...it'll be hard for him to impress bigger clubs from there. Pretty unfortunate.

Unless you're only interested in a move to the second Bundesliga. All joking aside, I'm pretty disappointed.

The irony of course, being that he did turn down an offer from Union Berlin on the basis that he wouldn't have been a top 2 at CB. (Reportedly that is)

In terms of raw talent and ability, he should be playing at a higher level than this in my opinion, but this is going to be a tough downslide to crawl out of.

The irony of course, being that he did turn down an offer from Union Berlin on the basis that he wouldn't have been a top 2 at CB. (Reportedly that is)

In terms of raw talent and ability, he should be playing at a higher level than this in my opinion, but this is going to be a tough downslide to crawl out of.

How come he didn't wanna work for a position. What's his agent telling him?

And what about Straith, had such promise and seemed to have disappeared after the Greece game only featuring in 12 games for 3.Liga Saarbrucken. He showed such promise at Cottbus

It's a shame, and I don't think I'm being a doomsdayer when I ask what happened to huge list of once very promising players: Attakora, Di Chiara, Uccello, Gage, Straith, Bourgeault, Lindsay, Peters, Davies, Saiko, Stillo...

Some might still become something useful for the MNT but most, I'm afraid, will just fizzle. So few truly successful Canadians in this age range except for the long list of those who got away.

It's a shame, and I don't think I'm being a doomsdayer when I ask what happened to huge list of once very promising players: Attakora, Di Chiara, Uccello, Gage, Straith, Bourgeault, Lindsay, Peters, Davies, Saiko, Stillo...

Some might still become something useful for the MNT but most, I'm afraid, will just fizzle. So few truly successful Canadians in this age range except for the long list of those who got away.

My gut tells me that most nations have a similar list. I remember looking back at rosters for U-17 and U-20 WCs and most countries only graduate a few players to the senior NT and many stars at this level fizzle out. Our problem is that our pool is so small. There's so much riding on every prospect who shows promise.

And what about Straith, had such promise and seemed to have disappeared after the Greece game only featuring in 12 games for 3.Liga Saarbrucken. He showed such promise at Cottbus

He hasn't really disappeared, Saarbrucken has some other good defenders so he is in competition for a spot. Maybe we hoped he would be a steady starter but he still played in 12 of Saarbrucken's 21 games and started 10 of them. He has also played a lot in their pre-season friendlies and at his preferred CB position (he has played all over the backline for Saarbrucken this year including on his wrong side as left back). He played the first half of their last game on Wednesday: http://www.fc-saarbruecken.de/node/1757

I still think it would be in the CSA's interest to develop a U-25'ish program, to keep this group from fizzling away (at least now, while we aren't in the midst of any qualifications). Maybe schedule occasional matches against Euro clubs (like Holger used to do). This would provide double duty of keeping a young B-squad active (to see if a few can grow into the A-pool) and to expose the group to some scouting overseas (especially to our North American and unattached players).

We simply can't afford to lose that young depth so quickly. Finding ways to bridge the gap between the strong U-20 pool (we manage to get) and the dwindling senior group (we end up with) has to be priority.

Archived