Canadians MIA/UI List

nolando

That is ridiculous if it is reported correctly. He signed with Vancouver, when they were not MLS, and no franchise granted, yet MLS rules apply to him retroactively?

I suspect MLS granted Vancouver HG rights to all their Residency players that meet HG criteria, to prevent poaching from other MLS teams

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can anyone clarify if the Caps offered Porter a contract and he turned them down? If that's the case then that may be why they still hold his homegrown player rights (though the fact he was in their academy prior to joining MLS should make it a non-starter)...only other thing i can think of is they put him on their discovery list and because they finished behind DC their discovery rights trump DC's discovery rights.

Yes. Teitur offered him a developmental contract.

Frankly, I doubt that DC United would even have brought Porter in for a trial if they hadn't reached some sort of understanding with the Whitecaps.

MLS rights rules are ridiculous. Like so much MLS does, it penalizes the lower half of the roster where development happens, making the league worse short- and long-term, all in the same of control (not even saving real money, just control).

I posted in another thread that JP, by a measure known as the "Beep Test", showed a reasonable level of fitness in camp. Lenarduzzi is also reported to have said that he was 15 lbs overweight when he arrived. I'm not sure I believe Bobby on that. From watching one preseason game, I can only conclude that Peters' *match* fitness was horrible. It looked to me that he hadn't played football in a long, long time. Which is probably true. I can't remember his last match? Probably sometime around this time last year with Bournemouth?

Speculating here, but if he was offered somewhere between $44,000-$75,000 to be a back-up, he may have concluded he can make more than this elsewhere, or that maybe it's time to go back school and do something else.

Porter getting more rave reviews after yesterday:

"Kyle Porter, who has been on trial since United’s game against Malmo FF, has continued to impress alongside the left flank. His pace, grit, and ability to defend and get forward has made him a viable substitute for Pontius and DeLeon thus far through pre-season. He has continuously whipped in dangerous balls to the attacking corps and provided the game-tying assist against Swedish giants Malmo FF."

http://www.dcunited.com/news/2013/02/news-and-notes-february-13-2013

I think Peters has caught up with his fitness by now. The problem was he came in unfit which effected his evaluation, or at least that was my understanding.

Earlier, Peters’s fellow Canadian and former Town team-mate Jason De Vos, these days a TV pundit in Canada, tweeted: “I'm told Peters came into the Whitecaps camp 15lbs overweight and with a high body fat percentage.”

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/22471/peters-fails-to-win-whitecaps-deal

Porter scored DCU's tying goal with about 10 minutes left in the game against Montreal which finished 1-1. I only saw the second half but he seemed to be Dc's strongest player and the goal was very nice, a rocket with his weak foot.

Bodes well. I think he's earned a contract. I only hope that they don't sign him and then he's playing for Richmond Kickers in a month.

Porter scored DCU's tying goal with about 10 minutes left in the game against Montreal which finished 1-1. I only saw the second half but he seemed to be Dc's strongest player and the goal was very nice, a rocket with his weak foot.

Poter's goal at about 1:55:00 http://youtu.be/xxsPlkxWkKg The reviews and the commentary makes it sounds like he is some unknown Brazilian wonderkid.

Poter's goal at about 1:55:00 http://youtu.be/xxsPlkxWkKg The reviews and the commentary makes it sounds like he is some unknown Brazilian wonderkid.

Well he looked pretty good today in what I saw of the game even before he scored. Of course it is better not to put too much faith in pre-season but still that was a great finish and ball placement on the goal. Possibly with the Impacts top players on the pitch they would have closed him down better but still in any game he will get the ball in that location occasionally and if he can shoot like that on a dime he will score some goals.

I was impressed with Porter when I saw him 2 years ago with FCE but last year he seems to have had a poor year and in the admittedly few FCE games I watched online did not look really great. Judging from today he not only looks like MLS quality but looks like a good MLS striker. Lets hope he signs with DC and maintains his form because we sure could use another good striker (though hopefully he stops scoring against the Impact :) )

Archived