Canadians MIA/UI List

nolando

I still think it would be in the CSA's interest to develop a U-25'ish program, to keep this group from fizzling away (at least now, while we aren't in the midst of any qualifications). Maybe schedule occasional matches against Euro clubs (like Holger used to do). This would provide double duty of keeping a young B-squad active (to see if a few can grow into the A-pool) and to expose the group to some scouting overseas (especially to our North American and unattached players).

We simply can't afford to lose that young depth so quickly. Finding ways to bridge the gap between the strong U-20 pool (we manage to get) and the dwindling senior group (we end up with) has to be priority.

I agree, but worldwide U-25 isn't really done. I'm not sure there are a lot of programs out there for them to compete against, so I'm not sure this is the solution. I can't say I know the solution, either.

If a couple more Canadians went over there and were very strong and successful, I DO know there would be a trickle effect. Sort of like how Roger Espinoza just got signed to the same team as Maynard.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He hasn't really disappeared, Saarbrucken has some other good defenders so he is in competition for a spot. Maybe we hoped he would be a steady starter but he still played in 12 of Saarbrucken's 21 games and started 10 of them. He has also played a lot in their pre-season friendlies and at his preferred CB position (he has played all over the backline for Saarbrucken this year including on his wrong side as left back). He played the first half of their last game on Wednesday: http://www.fc-saarbruecken.de/node/1757

The main reason I used "disappeared" rather than "is stumbling", "faltering" etc. is because he is one of 4 listed defenders on Saarbrucken (http://www.soccerway.com/teams/germany/1-fc-saarbrucken-ev/) so if he only featured in 60% of the games, thus being chosen behind a DM (I would assume). But one cannot argue that starting for Canada and being a more intricate piece on a 2.Bundusliga Cottbus to where he is now is a shame.

The main reason I used "disappeared" rather than "is stumbling", "faltering" etc. is because he is one of 4 listed defenders on Saarbrucken (http://www.soccerway.com/teams/germany/1-fc-saarbrucken-ev/) so if he only featured in 60% of the games, thus being chosen behind a DM (I would assume). But one cannot argue that starting for Canada and being a more intricate piece on a 2.Bundusliga Cottbus to where he is now is a shame.

When a site lists a team as having only 4 defenders while having 14 midfielders no alarm bells go off regarding the accuracy of the site's information? Why didn't you look on FC Saarbrucken's site which lists 7 defenders and 10 midfielders? And the veteran DM who has played CB recently instead of Straith has a lot of experience playing as defender as well. Not sure either why you have the idea he was a more intricate piece on a 2nd BL side. He got a chance at a young age at Cottbus when they had some serious issues in the back and he was an emergency solution who did fairly well and played a lot for one season. The following season they shored up their defence and he mostly sat on the bench for the next year and a half before being loaned out. He has almost played as much already in one year at Saarbrucken as he did in 2 and a half years with the first team in Cottbus.

After a 3 month period of mostly starting, he had a 2 month period in which in 8 games he only had one start and one subsitition. Yes that is a small setback but it is far too soon to be including a 22 year old player in a MIA discussion. Saarbrucken has a very young team this year and while in 12th place among 20 teams are only 6 points above a relegation spot. In this situation it is not surprising that the coach may trust some of the veteran players more especially at CB at least until they are out of the relegation fight. And apparently his performance in the first half of the season was not as good as it was last year when he was on loan. From the lineups in friendlies it looks like he is definitely still in the picture as a CB for the team so hopefully he can get his form back and regain his starting position.

I have added Hainault, JDG, and Attakora to this list as all of their contracts have expired, although the first two may well re-sign, admittedly.

I read a month or two back that San Antonio might not bring Harmse back and now see that he has been erased from their official website: http://sanantonioscorpions.com/club/the-team/roster

Funny to see Lyle Martin picked up and yet Harmse dropped along with most of last year's squad. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they bloody good during last regular season? If the Harmse release is true then I do believe there are no longer any other true Canadians on any other NASL squads other than FCE. Is this progress, pray tell?

You can take Kevin Harmse off this list.

http://www.nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=3651

^ Jaime from 2 or 3 years ago maybe but he is apparently not in great shape while Rennie is qouted as looking for fitness. Caps def. need cover at RB though.

In other news Gerba's wiki says he is retired. Wonder if that is like Stalteri's situation or if he is actually retired?

I missed the fact that Porter is out of contract at FCE, but on tril at DC United: http://www.blackandredunited.com/d-c-united-2013-season/2013/2/2/3942992/dc-united-malmo-ff-2013-mls-preseason-kyle-porter

But here, we're going to talk about one guy: Canadian trialist Kyle Porter, the man who served up the corner that led to Nane's goal. Porter is a product of the Vancouver Whitecaps residency program, graduating to the first team of the then-USL Whitecaps in 2010. He's been with FC Edmonton of the NASL since the 2011 season and is currently out of contract. He's apparently been sitting on a new offer from the Rabbits (aside: excellent nickname, Edmonton) as he tries his hand in MLS. If today is any indication - an assist off of his corner kick and (via @DCUmatchday) seems to have been the most dangerous player on the field from his entry in the 31st minute. Making his performance more impressive, Porter didn't arrive in Bradenton to join the team for his trial until last night.

Porter impresed again playing off of dero as dc beat Tampa 4-0. I read that Caps still have his rights. Hope they dont make life too difficult.

Is that possible? He was never signed to a MLS contract with Vancouver so I find that hard to believe but I guess with MLS you never know.

Porter impresed again playing off of dero as dc beat Tampa 4-0. I read that Caps still have his rights. Hope they dont make life too difficult.

"On the other flank, Kyle Porter saw less of the ball but created chances when given the opportunity. It appeared that the Canadian winger had won a penalty kick after his attempt to chip Rowdies keeper Andrew Fontein was blocked by a handball, but the referee appeared to judge it as a ball-to-hand situation and gave nothing. Later, he blazed past a Tampa defender with a nice shoulder-dip and fired narrowly wide across goal. All in all, Porter confirmed that his showing against Malmö was not a one-off. His speed, desire to go to goal, and the ability to play on both wings all fit in with what United needs right now."

http://www.blackandredunited.com/d-c-united-2013-season/2013/2/10/3972264/dc-united-preseason-win-tampa-bay-rowdies-walt-disney-pro-soccer-classic-lionard-pajoy-taylor-kemp

"One of the brightest performances in United's most recent preseason match came from Canadian trialist Kyle Porter, who had an assist in a 1-1 draw with Swedish club Malmo FF. Of course, Porter's MLS rights are owned by the Vancouver Whitecaps."

http://washingtonexaminer.com/d.c.-united-is-looking-forward/article/2520767

That is ridiculous if it is reported correctly. He signed with Vancouver, when they were not MLS, and no franchise granted, yet MLS rules apply to him retroactively?

Welcome to the weird world of MLS rules. To be honest I don't see the Caps asking for much (draft pick, allocation money, trade, future considerations). They will get something because that is the way MLS is. Weird, yes. Unfair that FC Edmonton doesn't get anything? Yes but they could have had him on a longer term contract so they have less of a case.

The article was about Porter's trial with Montreal in 2011 so things may have changed or he may require less trade bait to have him transferred. Given that this is MLS anything is possible.

This situation does bring up another question. How long is someone out of an academy before they are "unencumbered" and free? I would like the clubs that develop these players as U18s and younger get credit and compensation but I also don't want a players' options curtailed too much either.

I think Misiewicz is on trial still with Swit Novy who are a Polish club in the third tier. Max, please correct me if I have any of this wrong.

http://www.90minut.pl/news/201/news2014921-Swit-testuje-dwoch-bramkarzy.html

http://www.90minut.pl/news/203/news2037673-Rafal-Rakowiecki-testowany-w-Swicie.html

Correct he is still on Trial with them. He did have some sort of minor injury(not sure what) and played in the latest control game(9th of Feb) in the goal for the 2nd Half. They lost 2:1 against a lower oponent(D4 vs. their D3)

on Feb 13th another game vs. another lower class oponent. Will see if Michal makes the roster.

EDIT: Michal Misiewicz on the team, apparently the board of directors accepted the coaches recommendations as to all players and they in return accepted the $ in their contract. But have YET TO Sign them, it will be done this week....

http://switndm.cba.pl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=697:qwszyscy-zawodnicy-docz-do-kadry-wituq&catid=17:sprawy-klubu

Michal wish you the best but you Have to get the hell out of there. Only a miracle will save them from relegation(D3--->>>D4) and you are lucky if you are getting more than 5000$ for the rest of the season.

Try your best and get in with some D2(I Liga) team.

Good Luck Michal

Can anyone clarify if the Caps offered Porter a contract and he turned them down? If that's the case then that may be why they still hold his homegrown player rights (though the fact he was in their academy prior to joining MLS should make it a non-starter)...only other thing i can think of is they put him on their discovery list and because they finished behind DC their discovery rights trump DC's discovery rights.

Archived